Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Wyoming Draw Results Today.. how’d you do?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Wyoming Draw Results Today.. how’d you do?

Postby Indian Summer » 05 21, 2020 •  [Post 1]

A few hours until results are posted. Good luck. Somewhere in those hills the bulls are growing those antlers!
Attachments
BC2A998B-933C-4834-B9A7-BC752E982B21.png
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Re: Wyoming Draw Results Today.. how’d you do?

Postby Old school » 05 21, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Gained another pref point. Next year I plan to hunt Wyoming.
Old school

Postby Indian Summer » 05 21, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Not yet Old School. Points period isn’t until July.
Indian Summer

Postby Old school » 05 21, 2020 •  [Post 4]

I know I know, thinking I should’ve put in this year - May have had better odds. Sitting on 3 or 4 points. Can’t remember.
Old school

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 05 21, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Good luck to those who put in. I am planning to buy a pref point for elk, and deer I think...

Really bummed my health issues meant I couldn't put in for any drawable tags this spring. Next year.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Indian Summer » 05 21, 2020 •  [Post 6]

Old school wrote:I know I know, thinking I should’ve put in this year - May have had better odds. Sitting on 3 or 4 points. Can’t remember.

That’s a guaranteed tags in either drawing! General license anyway. Do you want something else?
Indian Summer

Postby Old school » 05 21, 2020 •  [Post 7]

I’ve researched out a couple of general units but am kind of in no mans land. Don’t know of a 4-5 point unit I could draw - but haven’t really looked into that option.

For some odd reason I thought Wyoming let you put in for a point early this year. I’ll have to check my 3 ring binder with all my Wyoming stuff. If not, it will happen this summer.
Old school

Postby Old school » 05 21, 2020 •  [Post 8]

I just went online and looked my points up - I’m sitting on 4 right now, so going into the 2021 draw I’ll have 5 points.
Old school

Postby Bolt » 05 21, 2020 •  [Post 9]

What a long wait, but I drew a tag, so all of the sitting around wondering was worth it!
Bolt

Postby Indian Summer » 05 21, 2020 •  [Post 10]

Licensed to kill! :D
Attachments
175B4388-65B1-4CCB-9F98-1B1075864DB5.png
Indian Summer

Postby Indian Summer » 05 21, 2020 •  [Post 11]

Old School back in the day you could apply for a point during the license application period. But it’s been wuite a few years not since they moved the points only purchase dates. They are July 1 to the last day of October.
Indian Summer

Postby Old school » 05 21, 2020 •  [Post 12]

Yeah - that rings a bell. I must have been thinking of my Arizona PP from late Jan/early Feb.

5 PP doesn’t do much for Wyoming other than give massive overkill for a Gen tag.
Old school

Postby Tigger » 05 21, 2020 •  [Post 13]

BOOM! Successful! Love it!
Tigger

Postby Dbllung » 05 21, 2020 •  [Post 14]

Successful!!!! Woohoo!
Dbllung

First Name: Jim
Last Name: Hogan

Postby Indian Summer » 05 21, 2020 •  [Post 15]

Congratulations to everyone who drew a license. If anyone is interested in a hunt plan check out my website and let me know if you have any questions.

www.headinwest.net
Indian Summer

Postby Billy Goat » 05 21, 2020 •  [Post 16]

congrats to all who drew.

I've been putting in for several years, and am hoping to draw in 2021. it will be our first WY hunt and I am very much looking forward to it.

I already have my maps in hand... but dont have any hunts planned. we're thinking about making an August-ish scouting run (long haul to scout, but I the vacation days.... and my co-scouters are both retired).

good luck to you, men, and IndianSummer, I will checkout your website. thanks for sharing.
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby Swede » 05 21, 2020 •  [Post 17]

What's the big deal? The real excitement will be coming in June when Oregon announces its draw results. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 05 22, 2020 •  [Post 18]

Indian Summer wrote:Congratulations to everyone who drew a license. If anyone is interested in a hunt plan check out my website and let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.headinwest.net

Say Joe, I don't see pricing for any hunts on any page there. Your IT guy dropped the ball!
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby ghosthunter1 » 05 25, 2020 •  [Post 19]

I am pretty excited i drew 40-1 in wyoming!! looking forward to this hunt ive done a lot of internet scouting now its time to get over there this summer and look around.
ghosthunter1

Postby Indian Summer » 05 25, 2020 •  [Post 20]

Trumkin the Dwarf wrote:
Indian Summer wrote:Congratulations to everyone who drew a license. If anyone is interested in a hunt plan check out my website and let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.headinwest.net

Say Joe, I don't see pricing for any hunts on any page there. Your IT guy dropped the ball!

Prices nay vary depending on how much I like you. So you should do pretty well. Email me telling me the type of hunt you want... bivy/backpack, truck/base camp, base camp with option for a spike camp, as well as your goals, abilities and any limitations and I’ll tell you some things about areas I think are a fit and what the price is. Suffice it to say that a backpack hunt which requires different gear, more time, and more physical effort will be cheaper. I have plans where hunters can stay in a trailer park or hotel in town if need be. Clients who want those type of accommodations usually want an easier hunt which means not as many miles to the elk. Those cost more. There is also a client profile form on my home page. You don’t have to download or even use it but answering the questions on it helps me zero in on what is best for each hunter or group of hunters.
Indian Summer

Postby Tom Grates » 05 28, 2020 •  [Post 21]

Yep, pretty fired up for this year, last season I learned a ton of knowledge that I have been building on since, was able to shoot a bull on the last day, last hours, solo. Boy that was a well celebrated bull, but that is another story. Looking forward to the time away from the wife, been spending WAY too much time with her with this Covid crap. But, back on subject, hoping to take everything I have learned from my partner and put it all into action next year. Shoot straight all!
Tom Grates

Postby Billy Goat » 05 28, 2020 •  [Post 22]

please help a hillbilly understand the WY draw a bit better....

My group has been collecting PP's for several years, and should have enough PP's to draw "general non-res elk tags" for the 2021 season.

are the "general" elk tags valid in multiple units, or just a particular unit? I ask because the area we are currently targeting is near where 3 units meet.
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby Indian Summer » 05 28, 2020 •  [Post 23]

Billy Goat wrote:Are the "general" elk tags valid in multiple units, or just a particular unit? I ask because the area we are currently targeting is near where 3 units meet.

They are good in 50 units. To see if those units are huntable with your license click on the link below and scroll down to page 47 then down from there until you find your area. There is where you will find the list of all units and what type of license is required. Look in the license column. You’ll also see if there are any antler restrictions on bulls and if either sex elk hunting is allowed. Sometimes dates for cow hunting is different than for bulls. By the way type 6 is cow/calf and type 9 is bow only. Type 1 is gun and may also include archery season depending on the regulations for a particular unit. How many points do you have?

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Regulations/Regula ... OCHURE.pdf
Indian Summer

Postby Billy Goat » 05 28, 2020 •  [Post 24]

thanks sir! our target area is "general" "any elk".

our group of 8 has a weighted average of 2.125 points. I win the preparedness award for bringing 4 points (me) and 3 points (son) to the party. most of my group have 2 PP's, and one pair just has 1 ea.

on a side note.... I sent you (indian summer) a PM regarding any possible info on those units/that area. if you have any local intel, I'd be very interested in hearing about it (good, bad or indifferent).

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby Indian Summer » 05 29, 2020 •  [Post 25]

Just replied to your PM. I didn’t realize you told me the unit numbers. If you look the map over you’ll see that those areas are on the southern fringe of national forest. The higher percentage of them is antelope country. Sagebrush flats and desert. Wintering grounds for deer and some elk. Closer to more populated areas as well. After waiting 4 years to have the points to draw you can do better than that. Wyoming isn’t Colorado in that you won’t have to struggle at 10-12,000 feet to find elk. 7-9000 will put you into good hunting. I’ve killed 6 point bulls at 6500. If you get into the right area out there with 8 people there’s no way you can come home without elk! Especially if you’re in an either sex area and a couple of those guys will shoot a cow. Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck!
Indian Summer

Postby Wyo67 » 05 29, 2020 •  [Post 26]

Targeting 2021 - If you are not putting in for the Special draw, I would highly recommend you do the math and purchase the points this summer within your group to in with a 3 point average. 2.125 would have only had a 58% chance to draw this year. It took 3 to be a guaranteed draw and 2 did not draw at all in the regular. Point creep is real.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/getmedia/fb2472cb-b9ab-4664-b27b-a90a0ee75484/2020_ELKREG_PP_NR
Wyo67

Postby Indian Summer » 05 29, 2020 •  [Post 27]

Wyo67 wrote:Targeting 2021 - If you are not putting in for the Special draw, I would highly recommend you do the math and purchase the points this summer within your group to in with a 3 point average. 2.125 would have only had a 58% chance to draw this year. It took 3 to be a guaranteed draw and 2 did not draw at all in the regular. Point creep is real.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/getmedia/fb2472cb-b9ab-4664-b27b-a90a0ee75484/2020_ELKREG_PP_NR

Absolutely! Make sure everyone in your party... and potential future partners who aren’t hunting this year buy a point. As you probably know they’re on sale from July 1 to the end of October.
Indian Summer

Postby Billy Goat » 05 29, 2020 •  [Post 28]

thanks for the feedback. I didnt realize the points you buy this fall counted against apps this winter!

THANKS!!!

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby Wyo67 » 06 01, 2020 •  [Post 29]

Billy Goat wrote:thanks for the feedback. I didnt realize the points you buy this fall counted against apps this winter!

THANKS!!!

They do not count against the 2020 applications. The preference points you buy this year (July-Oct) will be for your 2021 applications, which opens in January for non-residents.
Wyo67

Postby Billy Goat » 06 01, 2020 •  [Post 30]

Wyo67 wrote:
Billy Goat wrote:thanks for the feedback. I didnt realize the points you buy this fall counted against apps this winter!

THANKS!!!

They do not count against the 2020 applications. The preference points you buy this year (July-Oct) will be for your 2021 applications, which opens in January for non-residents.

yep, understood. thats our target (2021). sorry if I wasnt clear, and THANKS AGAIN for the recommendations.

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby Pop-r » 08 09, 2020 •  [Post 31]

I drew a 97-1 tag off if the leftover list. I need a resident guide to go into wilderness. I have the stock & equipment if anyone wants to go in there that has a 97 tag or a general tag. Thanks
Pop-r