Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

June 9th bugling

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

June 9th bugling

Postby wawhitey » 06 10, 2020 •  [Post 1]

I couldnt believe it. Had a bull bugle maybe 100 yards or so from me just before dark last night, june 9th. Blew my mind. That is all.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Re: June 9th bugling

Postby Elkhunttoo » 06 11, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Just curious, could you see him or just hear him? Lots of years ago my dad jumped a group of elk in the summer, I think I was late July. A bull let out a small half hearted bugle and he was the same as you, couldn't believe it.

I have also heard tale of two fellows on a scouting trip to idaho in mid summer listening to elk bugle all evening a few years ago. Only if I remember right that turned out to be mr swedes squawk box ;)
Elkhunttoo

Postby wawhitey » 06 11, 2020 •  [Post 3]

I could see other elk, but not him. He was in timber. But it was certainly an elk, not a screwball playing with his bugle tube
wawhitey

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 11, 2020 •  [Post 4]

Yes, elk bugle year around! Could have been a bull or cow. Cow's are known for bugling quite a bit outside of the rut!

https://youtu.be/M7nVOMZALPw

ElkNut
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 11, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Yes sir! As Paul/Elknut mentioned, they talk all year long. They "really" get vocal during the rut for obvious reasons, but again, they chatter all year long; they are vocal critters ;).
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 06 11, 2020 •  [Post 6]

RJ can tell you about a bull he heard bugling one warm July evening. It happened the same year he had a Cougar scream just outside his tent in September. :lol:
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 11, 2020 •  [Post 7]

Swede wrote:RJ can tell you about a bull he heard bugling one warm July evening. It happened the same year he had a Cougar scream just outside his tent in September. :lol:

All I can say about that is to remind folks to do a complete gear "shakedown" of anybody new you invite to your elk camp. That's right, check every gear bag, tote, trunk they have in their truck. It's really surprising what some jokers will bring to camp, i.e., a multi species, remote control predator caller... There's nothing like having a female cougar scream wake you out of a dead sleep at 10:00 PM or so; really gets the blood flowing :roll:.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby wawhitey » 06 11, 2020 •  [Post 8]

ElkNut1 wrote:Yes, elk bugle year around! Could have been a bull or cow. Cow's are known for bugling quite a bit outside of the rut!

https://youtu.be/M7nVOMZALPw

ElkNut

Wow, didnt know cows do it too. Maybe i heard a cow. Weird.
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 06 11, 2020 •  [Post 9]

If I had not seen it and knew it was a cow bugling, I would have thought it a small bull/spike. Is that what you heard?
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 06 11, 2020 •  [Post 10]

Something like that. Wasnt the most impressive bugle ever
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 06 11, 2020 •  [Post 11]

wawhitey wrote:Something like that.

I understand that. There is enough variation between animals and different environments, distances, etc., I can't say more than they are unimpressive when you compare them to a mature bull. Even some of them don't have a great voice.
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 06 11, 2020 •  [Post 12]

This has me wondering. If elk are doing this, is it a contact thing with other elk? Like if a guy was to throw a wimpy bugle out in november, and there are elk around, could he get a response?
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 06 12, 2020 •  [Post 13]

There are others that may know more than I do about this, but when I have heard them bugle, it was to call in a missing animal. I have observed it when a spike (last year's calf) gets killed from a tree stand, and the cow goes out a short distance and bugles. She will stay in the area awhile and continue bugling trying to get the spike to come to her.
Swede