Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Acceptable

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Acceptable

Postby Swede » 06 12, 2020 •  [Post 1]

I know everyone has their idea of the ideal elk, but what will satisfy you? What will you put your tag on either the first day of the season or the last?

At some point in the season I will accept any healthy elk except a calf. I have never shot a calf and I pass on anything that does not look healthy. Unhealthy ones are rare, but I have looked them over and let them walk off.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Acceptable

Postby Billy Goat » 06 12, 2020 •  [Post 2]

first legal animal in range for me.

ESPECIALLY on a bow hunt. I've still not cut an elk hair with a broadhead.

I'd shoot a calf in the first 10 minutes of light on day 1 of a bowhunt. supposed to be exceptional eating, and helluvalot easier to pack out!

as a bonus, I can be of greater help to my team if I'm tagged out (calling, packing, scouting, cooking in camp, whatever needs to be done)

I have two good 5x5 euro's on the wall already. I dont feel a huge obligation to hold out for a "trophy". Just me. we all have standards. mine are just low. in that regard.... my elk hunts are not that different from my dating life in college. (success then was ALSO rare!)
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby Lefty » 06 12, 2020 •  [Post 3]

I love to be in the woods , I get a wierd kick out of seeing animals do what they do and I get a rush out of the sport of hunting
I’ve passed on lots of game for all sorts of reasons
To close
To early
Seemed un sporting
Too far from the truck to close to the truck
To easy
Still had a calf
Too hot
To close to private
Wanted some one else to take it
But this year I may have a change of heart and might kill any adult animal and enjoy calling for my daughter
I really did expect elk the last two years and didn’t put much deer or waterfowl .
I passed on a little bear last night at 20 yards
I’m thinking( not regretting) I’ll take him if he shows tough night
My butt is sore
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby 7mmfan » 06 12, 2020 •  [Post 4]

Depends on the hunt I guess. OTC tag in Idaho where we hunt? I've killed 2 spikes on opening day, and probably will continue to do so for a while. It's all about the meat man, and there's a lot of good meat on a spike bull. One of these years I'll gain enough confidence to wait for a more mature bull, but it will probably be a while.

I also really enjoy helping the rest of my group get on animals and I like scouting new areas without the pressure of a tag in my pocket.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby saddlesore » 06 12, 2020 •  [Post 5]

My preference is18 mo.-2 yr old cow and I will pass on a calf, just not enough meat to justify it. I will however shoot the first legal elk that walks by. Close or far away. Cows with calves will also get the tag. Calves will be weaned by then and unless it is bad winter, will survive with the herd. Truth be known, I have packed too many out of hellish holes that I will take the easy ones when they come too. If there are cows and bulls in a herd, I will take a cow every time. If enough time , I will look for a younger one instead of the older ones or a stinky old rutty bull.I would take a spike, but there few units in Colorado where they are legal. It certainly isn't about the cheap meat because I can buy a whole beef for what I spend on elk hunting each year, if I add he expenses of keeping the mules.

I can' t eat grain finished out marbled beef and elk is 99% lean, so it suits my health.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Elkhunttoo » 06 12, 2020 •  [Post 6]

CA7A194D-2598-437C-9E08-68698CA9F5ED.jpeg
CA7A194D-2598-437C-9E08-68698CA9F5ED.jpeg (36.85 KiB) Viewed 3388 times

Him or bust ;)
Elkhunttoo

Postby Elkhunttoo » 06 12, 2020 •  [Post 7]

59EAAE15-B07F-4BAC-A8FF-26DEFA0F9B41.jpeg
59EAAE15-B07F-4BAC-A8FF-26DEFA0F9B41.jpeg (21.68 KiB) Viewed 3388 times

OR... maybe him... oh heck!! Any ol 6 point will do :D

Honestly my goal the last few years was to get my wife a mature bull and we have been really close. If she didn’t enjoy watching them so much and would think a little bit more on how to send an arrow we would do a little better. I would rather my wife get one then me but I will probably as always and hope for the big one.

Still waiting for Idaho’s draw to see what my weapon of choice is.
Elkhunttoo

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 06 13, 2020 •  [Post 8]

Depends on what the rest of my season has looked like. Some years I get it in my head I want something big. Other years, I just want to refill the freezer. If I only get one or two deer one season, the next one, I'm all about finding the fattest cow I can lay eyes on.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Old school » 06 13, 2020 •  [Post 9]

I’m bowhunting, so anything but a calf for me.

-Mitch
Old school

Postby Elkhunttoo » 06 15, 2020 •  [Post 10]

Hmmm... must be a lot of people not planning on getting one this year...
Elkhunttoo

Postby Indian Summer » 06 16, 2020 •  [Post 11]

I don’t use the theory “shoot on the first day whatever you’d shoot on the last”. On the very last day of course I’d shoot a raghorn. By then I’m meat hunting. But with 2 1/2 weeks to hunt I’m a bone collector for the first week. So it’s 6 point bulls only for 7 days. Then 5 pointers until I’m down to about 4 days. Then I’ll shift gears to grocery shopping mode. Each aspect is like a whole new hunt. When the hunt starts I’m telling myself “You must be a fool for passing up a bull on public land?” For the next phase I’m thinking “What were you thinking you’re definitely a fool!” And in the last days I’m telling myself “Well here’s your reality check you fool, you better put the hammer down unless you plan on starving this winter” Haha :lol:

Yes I question my game plan every day until I have a bull on the ground. Doh!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Tigger » 06 16, 2020 •  [Post 12]

Totally agree Joe. My plan changes all the time and I would be disappointed to shoot a cow on the first day, but happy to on the last day. In fact, it may change depending on each encounter within a day.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 06 16, 2020 •  [Post 13]

I have changed my thinking on this over the years. At first it was any 2+ year old elk, then for awhile I had to have a good bull, but now I have reverted back somewhat. Have many of you evolved this or in some other way?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby 7mmfan » 06 16, 2020 •  [Post 14]

Like most hunters, I started out with any legal animal. I've now progressed to where I'm not desperate to kill any animal, but I do rely on the meat heavily so few animals get a pass. I'm slowly coming to grips with the reality that I can go out and kill bigger bulls though so I will most likely start trying to do that. There are hunters in my party that will gladly kill any elk they can, so next year I may just try and put them on those spikes and go after bigger bulls for myself. I don't foresee myself ever being a big bull hunter, I just like elk meat to much and I already have one pretty nice set of horns on the wall and not enough space for much more.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan