Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Recent Scouting Trip GMU 70- CO

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Recent Scouting Trip GMU 70- CO

Postby Zack » 06 24, 2020 •  [Post 1]

I just got back from a couple day scouting trip in GMU 70 in Colorado. I tried to cover a good amount of the unit and see what things actually looked like that I have been e-scouting, and I had a couple questions for everyone. I plan on hunting 2nd rifle this year (Oct 24-Nov 1). I saw a lot of cow elk, but no bulls unfortunately, and all of them were at ~9000-9500 ft. The unit as a whole seems to range ~6500-12000ft in elevation. Come late October would you still continue looking 9000-11000 ft for bulls? Or would you start going to lower elevations and possibly even closer to the 7000ft winter ranges?

Also this will be my first year in the unit, and only 2nd year of elk hunting, if anyone is familiar with the unit and wouldn't mind hearing my current thoughts and strategies it would be really appreciated. Thanks a lot!
Zack

Re: Recent Scouting Trip GMU 70- CO

Postby Swede » 06 24, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Zack, I am pleased you had a good scouting trip and saw some elk. I have never hunted Colorado, so I won't be much help with that.
This time of year the cows with their new calves are separated from the bulls. The bulls go off into bachelor groups and hang out in generally scrubbier ground and vegetation. You might see a spike or rag-horn hanging around, but they the exception. In the rifle season things will be different. The bulls can still be with the cows then. Keep an eye out for the big ones to be at the tail end of a herd. Good luck.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby 7mmfan » 06 24, 2020 •  [Post 3]

I also have not hunted Colorado, but there are some general rules of thumb to follow for elk, and bulls. Elevation isn't necessarily the critical factor, but feed/water, security, and snow. Bulls will stay as high as they can, as long as they can. As long as they have food, access to water, and an area they feel secure, there's no reason to leave. Degradation of good forage as fall progresses moves some bulls out, but usually it's snow that eventually pushes them down. It can take A LOT of snow to move mature bulls down. So if you have less than 18" of snow on the ground, those bigger bulls will still be high. Many younger bulls will begin moving downhill with the cow/calf herds earlier on, and that's why they make up the bulk of the harvest.

At the beginning of 2nd season, prior to any real snow most likely, you may still find mature bulls around cow groups at the tail end of the rut. They will only stay there for a day or two after the shooting starts though, and then will head for the sanctuaries.

So, the question is, do you just want a bull, or do you want a big mature bull? Those are two different types of hunts as you move later into the season.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 06 24, 2020 •  [Post 4]

Welcome to WapitiTalk! I don't know squat about your GMU, and I don't think it's even necessary to list it, given the questions you're asking (which are good, btw). The best general advice is to try and get hold of the regional biologists, and ask about the elk migration. Second season will be weather dependent, but you can bet they won't be out in the open, no matter the elevation. The rut will be mostly over, and the bulls will probably be holed up tight wherever they have safety and good feed. They probably won't move much during the day unless other hunters bump them. The biologist will be able to tell you way more than we can about specifics for your unit.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Zack » 06 24, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Thanks for all the great info so far!

7mmfan wrote: So, the question is, do you just want a bull, or do you want a big mature bull? Those are two different types of hunts as you move later into the season.

This being only my 2nd season, I'm definitely open to any legal bull I can find.

Trumkin the Dwarf wrote:The biologist will be able to tell you way more than we can about specifics for your unit.

I tried calling the biologist a couple weeks ago, but was told he just recently accepted a new position and there was no biologist for the area at this moment. They gave me a number of someone that may be able to help, but I left a message and never heard back, I may try and call again here soon.
Zack

Postby Swede » 06 24, 2020 •  [Post 6]

Given a choice between a game biologist and an experienced range technician; I would ask the range tech every time. In the 35 years I worked for the Forest Service, I do not remember ever seeing a state bio out monitoring elk. They do that in the early spring from a plane or helicopter while the elk are still on the winter range. I say ask a tech because they spend a lot of time in the field and know where the cattle and the elk are. They are a little hard to get ahold of as they are out all day. The office people will talk to you, but they don't know much except what they read somewhere.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby saddlesore » 06 24, 2020 •  [Post 7]

The CO biologist and local game wardens are not much help. At best you will get generalities.They don't get into the back country much and get most of their info when checking license of hunters.

You might hear some bulls bugle in 2nd rifle as there are always a few cows that did not get bred in the first estrus period. However, 2nd rifle is almost a week later this coming year than past years.So leave your bugle at home and depend on a good knowledge of using a cow call and do it conservatively.

I don't hunt that unit, but the last three bulls I have killed during 2nd rifle have all been at 10,500-11,00feet..I missed mine last year and he was a little past 12,00feet.

However,you can find them at any elevation once 2nd rifle season arrives.It all depends on how much hunting pressure they see and where the nastiest thickest, most rugged cover is. By then,they also might go nocturnal, so you need to be in your hunting area at least 30 minutes before shooting light and also the last 30 minutes before dark.Those two time frames will be the most productive of all day.

Be prepared for snow, and if it does snow, be out there the minute it quit and for sure the first thing the next morning if it quits during the night.DO NOT SLEEP IN.

It is very unlikely that elk will even be thinking about moving to their winter range by then, unless there is heck of a blizzard .If that happens, you probably won't be able to move around much. Make sure snow shovel, chains for all four wheels ,and tow straps are included in you gear list

That is an OTC unit for bull elk,so count on a lot of other hunters.Your job is to figure out where the elk go when those other hunters push them. Don't count on seeing a 6x bull or any bull for that matter standing out in the middle of a meadow like is pictured in most hunting mags.Shoot the first legal bull you see. More than likely you will only get one chance. Consider yourself very very lucky if you see 2-3 close enough to shoot.

Also have workable plan before you leave home on how you will get all the meat from the kill site to your tuck.

Colorado resident here and I have successfully punched elk tags here for 45 years and ten years in NM.

Good luck
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Elkhunttoo » 06 24, 2020 •  [Post 8]

Great advice already. I would add bring a camera and enjoy the little things about your hunt.

As far as scouting this time of year for the most part you are just learning the terrain. Maybe there will be elk in the season where they are now. But there’s a chance they aren’t anywhere near there by then too.
Elkhunttoo

Postby Indian Summer » 06 26, 2020 •  [Post 9]

I’d let the weather dictate that. I’d hunt as high as I could physically hike. Elk can be anywhere but you cannot go wrong with that plan. Where I hunt there are bulls at 7000 feet but at 9000 the hunting is much better.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro