Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Thank you ElkNut and everyone on the site.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Thank you ElkNut and everyone on the site.

Postby BrentLaBere » 01 07, 2013 •  [Post 1]

This is my first post on this site but I have been following it for over a year now. I just wanted to share a short story and thank elknut and everyone on this site for the information they share. I am now hooked to elk hunting. I am currently trying to figure out plans for this next falls hunt and may need a little help if anyone is willing to share some information on best places to draw NR tags. Hopefully with some more experience I can help others out as well. Thanks again to everyone on here!!!

North Dakota allows for a once-in-life time tag for residents only. I applied for one of two units that have an archery season.....

My hunt started Friday September 14th. I had planned this trip all summer after receiving an any elk tag for unit E-2 (North Unit of the Badlands only the Little Missouri River). I made 5 trips out there and put a lot of miles on trying to find elk with no luck. I was still determined to go after them with my bow so I set out. Saturday morning turned out to be the first morning I would see elk. I had spotted a nice 5x5 as well as a cow, spike and what would be a big 6. Couldn't close the gap on him and ended up being 120 yards away at my closest. The week went on with seeing most of the activity in the mornings, only to see spikes and at the biggest a small 3x3. It was really neat seeing the little guys push each other around. Cold crisp mornings brought clashing of small bull’s antlers together. It was hard to be disappointed with this. Yet all I had in the back of my mind was the nice 6x6 I ran into the first morning of my week long trip. Thursday afternoon I set out to an area where I thought the bull was hanging out, plenty of cover and water around to be had. It was a strong north wind and I arrived at my spot at 2 p.m. mountain time. Nothing really happening until 6:30 p.m. until I saw a few does filtering out of the thick draws making their way to the fields to feed. Hearing a few bugles the night prior I decided I would try my luck with some calling when the sun sets. Giving out two locator bugles and ready to start a cow in estrus sequence I notice a doe (whitetail) looking over her shoulder in the opposite direction. She then turns and runs in the opposite direction with another following her. To see what startled them I lean back to see around the shrubs I’m sitting in to see a nice bull coming out of the creek bottom. He begins to chase them…..never heard of a Bull Elk chasing whitetails but no time to question it. I give him a cow in estrus call (from what ive heard is a lost cow call). After I moved I was unable to see the bull and his reaction. 5 seconds later I hear crashing through the trees, and it’s coming right at me. I hook up my release and the bull is at a full trot, I draw my bow as he approaches my 50 yard mark I had range earlier that after noon. He turns up wind of me heading inside of 20 yards broadside as he slows down before dropping into the next ravine. Centered my 20 pin on his shoulder and let the arrow fly. Hitting the bull a little back and high but knew I got good penetration. He turned and ran back the same way he came. I gave him another cow call and he stopped at 100 yards out. One cough and a misstep later the bull expired in front of me. In a week of hunting my hunt was over in a matter of 2 minutes! What a rush. Here are a few pictures
Resampled952012-09-209519-03-3795765.jpg
Resampled952012-09-209519-03-3795765.jpg (19.99 KiB) Viewed 5975 times

Picture 010 - Copy.jpg
Picture 010 - Copy.jpg (23.98 KiB) Viewed 5975 times
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Re: Thank you ElkNut and everyone on the site.

Postby MTLongdraw » 01 07, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Congratulations on a great bull. It's so nice to see the conservatin efforts of hunters putting elk back in other states to the point they have hunting seasons. Keep up the hard work. Check out the draw odds sections for out of state hunting. Obviously CO is your best bet. MT also has good opportunity but is more expensive. Welcome to the site.
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty

Postby BrentLaBere » 01 07, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Thanks MTLongdraw,
Right now I am planning on applying for MT general elk tag. If i receive the tag I was going to try around the Breaks. Units 798-15 and 410-15. with low preference points it seems it is around a 25 percent success. I am not expecting this tag the first year without points but its the plan I have come up with this far. I would have no idea where to go after that, still trying to research some of the west units that allow general tags and have good access.
Last summer I had purchased a Wyoming PP and plan on building those before applying.
Colorado is an option I am considering pending on the results for MT. North of Steamboat Springs seemed like a good OTC unit to attempt with a lot of public land.

All of this research as well as practicing calling.
BrentLaBere

Postby stringunner » 01 07, 2013 •  [Post 4]

great looking bull! Congrats.
stringunner

Postby Swede » 01 07, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Excellent bull. Idaho, Colorado, Washington and Oregon all have OTC tags. Maybe there are some others too.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby ElkNut1 » 01 07, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Hey Brent, I enjoyed the story bud, great job. When ever you get the opportunity do your best to stop a bull for the shot, nothing works as great as the nervous grunt! (grin) Glad it all turned out well. What broadhead were you using? Idaho & CO are decent bets for OTC elk hunts.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Lefty » 01 07, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Cool Cool cool
Great hunt and story
Love that Little Misouri country
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby BrentLaBere » 01 08, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Looking back on it I know I should have stopped him for the shot. So much was going through my head at the time plus adrenalin kicking in. For future experiences I will know better and I know that I got lucky on this one.
The broad head I was using was the Viper Trick. They worked great for me all summer with tight patterns.
BrentLaBere

Postby MTLongdraw » 01 09, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Never hunted the breaks but here is what I have HEARD from reliable sources....The bulls are big. It's hot usually until the last two weeks. Everybody and their grandpa hunts there, and if it rains you might as well not even bother (gumbo). The elk are not as likely to come into calls. Its more of an ambush type set up. Again this is all hear say. I'm not sure how it works for out of staters but it seems people draw that tag very consistently. I wouldn't write it off but I think you can find decent quality elk farther west.
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 01 09, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Great Story Brent! Thanks for posting and welcome!
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Haulin'Quarters » 01 10, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Congratulations on a great bull.
Haulin'Quarters

Postby Wapiti » 01 12, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Great job Brent !! That is how it should work !! But as in my case the big herd bulls always seem to fade the other dirrection !! Welcome to the family !! Trav
Wapiti
Site Sponsor

First Name: Travis
Last Name: O'Shea

Postby BMF11 » 03 21, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Congrats Brent on an awesome ND elk! I'm new to the site and was reading old forums and came across yours. I'm from ND too, I need to get my "Big 3" apps applied for. What unit did you put in for in the Missourri breaks this year? I applied for 798-15. This will be my first year in MT so not expecting to get drawn with no bonus points. Congrats again
BMF11

First Name: Brady

Postby BrentLaBere » 03 21, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Thanks Brady,
Since been drawn last year for E2 in ND I have been a full blown addict and its only getting better! Or worse? haha either way its a blast and I have learned a lot from this site. Initially I was going to apply for 798-15 but ended up going with 410-15. Our part did buy a bonus point so our chances should be pretty good at getting drawn. Part of me is hoping to head out west. I have done a lot of research and talked with 4 different Biologist for certain areas. I really want to give the mountain style hunt a try. And I wouldn't say don't expect it. 25% chance of getting drawn isn't too far out for 798-15.
Good luck on the apps and off season preparation. If you ever want to share notes for your first hunt just send me a PM.
BrentLaBere