Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Does Anyone Use Elk Urine?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Does Anyone Use Elk Urine?

Postby Swede » 06 14, 2023 •  [Post 1]

I see it advertised but read nothing about anyone using elk urine to attract elk. If you use it, how, and what is your success? I have messed with it some but have long quit.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Does Anyone Use Elk Urine?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 14, 2023 •  [Post 2]

Yes, I’m rotten and evil. I have used it at a few salt, trail cam sights in a few states with mixed results. I have used it back in my younger days, putting a very, very small drop on a hunting partners pack and wait for him to say “I’m telling you, I smell elk”. My only regret is that I didn’t use it on a friend from Oregon’s pack a few years ago since he pulled one of the biggest tricks on me I’ve ever experienced ;). It was a classic for the ages….
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby six » 06 15, 2023 •  [Post 3]

I've used the elk scented wafers. I just safety pin one to the back of my hat. Note to self do not put them in a tote with your elk hunting gear to store them. Pulled out my tote mid summer to check gear and bam everything wreaked of elk urine.
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby Jhg » 06 15, 2023 •  [Post 4]

I tried it. Now I only use it on my enemies and I don't have any of those so I guess I do not actually use it anymore. It is like handling nuclear waste. Get any on you and you are toast.

I met a duo archery team elk who used urine and some other gross stuff that smelled awful. Those two really were foul. The idea was, according to them, that this olfactory train wreck covered the human scent therefor fooling elk into some kind lackadaisical behavior allowing the hunter to shoot one. Not sure about that, but if you wanted to let everything know for 1/4 mile around where you were that was a good method to go with.

My Dad used rotten apples smeared on his boots to attract whitetails. I scoffed at it (I was 17 and knew "everything"). He shot a lot of deer that came right to him, nose to the ground.

I think if elk can smell urine they can smell other things, like elk hunters.

Besides, it is the pheromones in the urine that attract elk not the smell. And no elk urine I ever bought smelled like the urine leaking out of an elk I killed. Not that I got down there and took a big whiff but it did not smell anything like that stuff in a bottle.
Jhg

Postby Lefty » 06 15, 2023 •  [Post 5]

I would be willing to juice up a wallow, Or use some in front of a trail cam.

Ive been in elk and deer camps where others have used elk urine. one bunch of guys I went from a heated tent to my unheated tent at -18 below one night, I wont stay in the same tent.
My whole plan is to be scent reduced and stay down wind. , Each individual animal reacts differently to urines, One animal wants to check out the smell, the next goes on alert. and if your wearing it they will smell you too.

Cover scents were big for many for coyote hunters years ago, and I sold a lot of Urine and skunk essence, but the guys that I knew that killed coyotes in the 100's wouldn't use cover scents, Gotta kill em before they get down wind.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Elkhunttoo » 06 17, 2023 •  [Post 6]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Yes, I’m rotten and evil. I have used it at a few salt, trail cam sights in a few states with mixed results. I have used it back in my younger days, putting a very, very small drop on a hunting partners pack and wait for him to say “I’m telling you, I smell elk”. My only regret is that I didn’t use it on a friend from Oregon’s pack a few years ago since he pulled one of the biggest tricks on me I’ve ever experienced ;). It was a classic for the ages….

Several years ago I was using the spray to check wind for fun…sprayed it in the air and the wind was definitely going right at my wife’s face :o :lol: …she was so happy with me!!!

Is that summer bugling bull still ringing in your ears RJ? :lol:
Elkhunttoo

Postby Thegreatwapiti » 06 24, 2023 •  [Post 7]

I've been known to use a little on a wick and hang it from a tree while I'm sitting over a wallow. I figure it might give me an extra second!

I also use a little behind my ears when I have a hot date with my wife. Maybe on our anniversary.
Thegreatwapiti