Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

A first for me

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

A first for me

Postby Lefty » 07 16, 2023 •  [Post 1]

Driving around elk country 135 elk made the antelope race to cross in front of me. only about 20 calves, and well over 30 bulls. lots of yearling cows. A few calves couldn't cross the road, then up the road further was another 30 head,
And who knows how many other I may not have seen.

I don't think Ive seen so many wild elk bunched together this time of the year. . So anyone what's your view on 170 elk herded together this time of year?
Guess I got my elk fix this week. Spent some time watching the ranch elk down by Willard Utah for a while too.

One other thing. It seems to me the bulls are way behind in growth. I saw a couple of bucks earlier in the day bigger than most of the bull elk.. I was a bit disappointed in the bucks. I realize thye are in velvet and it was hot , but all they did was watch me then bed. Seems like a guaranteed way to end up in someone elses truck early.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa20230713_210436[6324].jpg

I stopped to let traffic clear,,, It was interesting that they raced to demand the right away to cross

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa20230713_210514[6325].jpg
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: A first for me

Postby Lefty » 07 25, 2023 •  [Post 2]

To the top.

I really am curious,, has anyone seen this many wild elk grouped up in July!!!
Anyone,,, Anyone
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H