Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Sleeping pads

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Sleeping pads

Postby Indian Summer » 08 29, 2023 •  [Post 1]

Yes ghis thread belongs in the gear section, but I need all the feedback I can get in fast so I broke the rules and use this forum.

It’s time for a new pad. Got too close to the woodstove with my old one last year. Tell me what you’re using and while you like it. I’m a side sleeper so I need a thicker pad and I always go with a wide model. I’m not worried at all about weight. I want something with a high R-value that’s going to last.

Anyone have experience with big Agnes pads? Looking at their Boundary Deluxe. Also Exped Dura 5 and Dura 8. Open to suggestions.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Re: Sleeping pads

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 29, 2023 •  [Post 2]

I'm assuming you are talking about a base camp mattress, to go on a cot? For packpacking, I have a Nemo that's very light and comes with a "blow up bag". For base camp, I've gotten away from a standard blow up mattress pad and have been using this (see link below) on my big SJ cot. You have to touch up the inflation with the supplied, C battery driven, hand pump every few days but you'll appreciate the size/thickness of this inexpensive mattress. It does slide around on the cot a bit so a few wraps of duct tape around the mattress/cot will serve you well.

https://www.amazon.com/Intex-Dura-Beam-Standard-Prestige-Battery/dp/B07V7JCTCS/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2I52P8WAQJ8AZ&keywords=intex%2Btwin%2Bair%2Bmattress%2Bc%2Bbatteries&qid=1693320723&sprefix=intex%2Btwin%2Bair%2Bmattress%2Bc%2Bbatteries%2Caps%2C230&sr=8-3&th=1
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Tigger » 08 29, 2023 •  [Post 3]

For base camp I use a foam mattess. Gotta get a good nights sleep.
Tigger

Postby Wyo67 » 08 29, 2023 •  [Post 4]

Haven't used them, but several Exped on Camofire today.
Wyo67

Postby Lefty » 08 29, 2023 •  [Post 5]

I think I've used a cot on one outing. I used to spend 30 to 90 nights in a tent or in the back of the truck .So for a non-cot this is what my wife really likes. for tent camping and back of the pickup.

I have some high-tech military 1-in foam that has an r value of 11. Covered with an indoor outdoor carpet
Next was 2-in self-inflating pads from Cabela's.
Topped with a Costco memory foam pad.
I now use a Cabela's outfitter 3 and 1/2-in foam pad $159.69 somewhere in there. Underneath the Costco memory foam.

In the cold it's really important to have something with the high r value.
Many of the r value ratings for most sleeping pads are pretty worthless..
If on the ground you need a total barrier which won't conduct any cold.

On my first elk hunt there are a couple of gentlemen, really hardcore hunters they had regular beds in there tent.
The inside of that wall tent look like my grandma's upstairs grandkids bedroom.

Next door neighbors had huge military tents and bunk beds for everybody except Mom and Dad's. But they drove into camp with a semi truck and unloaded with a forklift.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Billy Goat » 08 29, 2023 •  [Post 6]

I've got a mixed bag of these, and I take them all every year. I get them pretty cheap at garage sales, etc.

if you're in a retail-level hurry..... Thermarest pads are pretty handy and easy to source.

further..... I carry a "trimmed down" thermarest pad in my pack that I use to sit on at the base of trees. it's a handy water barrier too.
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby Indian Summer » 08 29, 2023 •  [Post 7]

Thanks for the heads up on Camofire. They had a bunch but not what I’m looking for.

Mr Wapiti you’re on opposite ends of the spectrum. I don’t want superlite. And I don’t want a Sleep Number king. An inflatable that rolls up and goes into a stuff sack. I might backpack it. It’ll get packed on horses where bulky doesn’t work but weight isn’t a concern. I do use a cot.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Lefty » 08 29, 2023 •  [Post 8]

My neighbor uses 3 inch open cell foam pad under his bag on a cot.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby dsayer » 08 30, 2023 •  [Post 9]

The thermarest xtherm has a super high R value and is very comfortable. I got the wide even though I'm a pretty narrow guy. You day you're not looking for ultralight, but this checks the box for backpacking also. They're on sale at REI currently and sometimes you can get them used from their used gear page (members only).

https://www.rei.com/product/217084/ther ... eeping-pad
dsayer