Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

This season

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

This season

Postby Lefty » 10 27, 2023 •  [Post 1]

This season We didnt see or have as many encounters with elk. I chalked it up to there was plenty of feed and the elk were more spread out. Maybe I was wrong. :?:

Sunday I enjoyed the afternoon with some long ago resident hunters. They have had camp in the same place since 1973, the year he got out of the Navy, Then got a job in Dillion MT.
Fifty years. Last year was the first year he didn't come home with an elk. And this year he had fewer elk encounters archery hunting than ever.

Where I was camped the first nights, I spoke with others. Nobody had elk spotted even three days before.

So more or less elk and elk encounters this year?
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: This season

Postby saddlesore » 10 30, 2023 •  [Post 2]

Definitely less elk here in NW Colorado because of the winter kill, but I was fortunate enough to tag one in ML season. Filled my muley deer tag this past Saturday
saddlesore

Postby Lefty » 11 01, 2023 •  [Post 3]

During the early archery season I thought the less game we saw was mostly because of how green everything was. Water everywhere.
I was disappointed in my Idaho mule deer hunt which had definitely been impacted by the storms and rough winter.
Four of the adjoining antelope units or I drew my antelope tag close the hunts before they started.

I really expected to hang out in Southwest Montana for up to a couple of weeks and wait to pick out the bull that I wanted.
I'm not even seeing cows. We did have some wolves hanging out locally some guys put the blame on the wolves.
Others said we are impacted by last winter.
And today a guy threw in this bright moon and not enough snow.
Anyway thr elk have until tomorrow. Before I head home for a list of honey-dos
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 11 01, 2023 •  [Post 4]

I put the crosshairs on a cow.
But I just couldn't see myself packing meat out of that hole for the next day and a half.

20231101_175743.jpg
20231101_175743.jpg (3.87 MiB) Viewed 242 times
Lefty

Postby 7mmfan » 11 02, 2023 •  [Post 5]

Nice looking stuff right there! How long is your season Lefty? There will be enough weather to move them at some point.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 11 04, 2023 •  [Post 6]

Having the snow sure made for it easy to check for movement,,, but not many elk currently.

A couple of hunters from back east heard the elk would be "moving, migrating with the snow,,,,, I let them know we need a bunch more snow than this

Im hunting the "general Season, I have until Thanksgiving. Im thinking if I dont get a crack at a bull,,, I may need to shoot a cow
Lefty