Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Moving to SLC, UT... time to learn some new elk country!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Moving to SLC, UT... time to learn some new elk country!

Postby eltaco » 01 15, 2013 •  [Post 1]

This has come quite quickly, but I've made the decision to take an awesome job opportunity in Salt Lake City, UT! Thankfully for me, my long-time hunting partner lives in the area, and my co-workers will be die-hard archers, so I should get some area info pretty quickly. It stinks giving up my elk hunting stomping grounds now that I am getting the area figured out so well, but I'm not certain it's worth the $550/yr to come back for the general OTC tag.

Anyways, if you're from UT, I'd love to hear from you and any positive information you can provide on hunting and fishing opportunities! UT is completely new to my family, so we have a LOT to figure out... but we're excited to get out there and put down some roots!
eltaco

Re: Moving to SLC, UT... time to learn some new elk country!

Postby ElkNut1 » 01 15, 2013 •  [Post 2]

No info for you bud but congrats on the move, you sound positive & that's a good thing, good luck to you bud!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby buglmin » 01 15, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Utah is a fantastic place to hunt elk. Bulls over the 400" mark, 360" bulls satelite bulls. I'm due to draw again, so this year or next year...
Mule deer, man oh man!! Get away from the roads and the road hunters, you dont even have to be that far away. Just far enough the the road traffic dont bother the bucks...we hunt in the La Salle area for deer, and the #$%^&*$#*&% for elk. I used to be in love with the Gila in NM for big Bulls, but Utah has NM beat now. Man, do you see true monsters....
Spike tags are almost a garuntee, but I cant kill a spike knowing the genes he is carrying and what he might be...
The only thing I dont like bout Utah is the dang bears...we got charged by a sow four years ago, and I stopped her when I hit her on the side of the head with my bow...had to drive four hours to Grand Junction that night to replace the cables and strings at Gabe's, but it was wotrh it.
Enjoy Utah...
buglmin

Postby T/H » 01 15, 2013 •  [Post 4]

congrats Jeremy! can you send me gps coordinates to your CO honeyholes now that you'll never be hunting them again? :)
T/H

Postby eltaco » 01 16, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Thanks for the info buglmin! Those are the kinds of comments they get me very excited for the move! CO has been good to us, no doubt, but having deer/elk season over the same times for Archery has been a complaint of mine... couple that with muzzleloaders in the middle of archery season and it makes it even tougher! I'm looking forward to hunts going into Dec again!

T/H, no need for GPS coords, just look up notellum peak in BFE wilderness. I just stand at the top and honk on my bugle and wait for all the action to start. Don't let many people in on this, please...
eltaco

Postby buglmin » 01 16, 2013 •  [Post 6]

The only problem you'll have in Utah is drawing good tags, guys dont draw branch antlered bull tags every year. It might take you four or five years to draw a tag.
I hunt mule deer every year in Utah, and man, the bulls we see. We seen more bulls in velvet in Utah then I've ever seen...I passed on a 340" bull one evening at 30 yards cause you've been seeing two huge 380" plus bulls in the came area...oh, and the fishing is great too...
buglmin

Postby Harmy » 01 16, 2013 •  [Post 7]

ElTaco, Utah is my home state and where I hunt and fish. The Uinta's have some great backcountry OTC hunting and fishing but you have to be willing to hike in 5 miles or more. This will be where I change my focus as I can't put in for limited entry tags due to a 5 year waiting period, dang it. Limited Entry areas do have tremendous bulls, but like Buglemin stated, drawing is not quick. It took me 8 years to draw my LE Bull tag (same with my bison and with my cow moose for some odd reason). Last year I took a decent 6x6 bull and I also took a cow. The year before I took a spike and a cow. Every year since 2006 I have taken a cow. I have had less luck with the mulies although I see them all the time. Feel free to pm me if you want more info. Chris
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Postby Lefty » 01 16, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I had 8 moose points when I left Utah :(
There are some fantastic pockets.
If you ever draw the Wasach Front Ogden to Brigham I can put you on the X for mulie or elk (and moose)
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby T/H » 01 19, 2013 •  [Post 9]

eltaco wrote:Thanks for the info buglmin! Those are the kinds of comments they get me very excited for the move! CO has been good to us, no doubt, but having deer/elk season over the same times for Archery has been a complaint of mine... couple that with muzzleloaders in the middle of archery season and it makes it even tougher! I'm looking forward to hunts going into Dec again!

T/H, no need for GPS coords, just look up notellum peak in BFE wilderness. I just stand at the top and honk on my bugle and wait for all the action to start. Don't let many people in on this, please...

I think i've been there. no coordinates needed :)
T/H

Postby ut1031 » 01 22, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Good to see another fellow Utahn! We have some good elk hunting in this state......As a fellow Elite shooter, please feel free to contact me anytime.
Kelly
ut1031

Postby eltaco » 01 22, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I forgot to mention that I took a job designing bows for Hoyt Archery :) No more Elites in my future. I've been very happy with them in the past but have found great enjoyment in my carbon element. I'm excited to learn more about UT, but crazy excited about this job opportunity!!!
eltaco

Postby tracker12 » 01 22, 2013 •  [Post 12]

I would hunt UT every year id I could. I drew a Fishlake 4 years ago and had the ebst huunt of my life. It was crazy trying to decide which bugle to chase. One more year before I can get back in the pool. Hoping for a good deer tag and with 13 moose points who knows.
tracker12

Postby pointysticks » 01 22, 2013 •  [Post 13]

can you buy a lifetime license before you leave your current State?

i met man from SLC this week out in the wilderness. he had alot to say about utah hunting..i quit listening. he would just follow us on our hike..yacking the entire way. it was painful. hope you dont run across himn :D

good luck with the move!!
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby ut1031 » 01 22, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Elite, Hoyt,,,,,,,they are all good! you need to meet up with Bryan Reed in the Cust Serv/Shipping Dept at Hoyt. I have plenty of friends that shoot the Element!
K
ut1031

Postby eltaco » 01 25, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Man... I start on Monday....holy smokes I'm excited!!!

Might even get some chuckar hunting in before the end of season!
eltaco

Postby Vanish » 01 25, 2013 •  [Post 16]

That's quite the job you have there, no wonder you have two of those bows :D
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel