Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

First light elk

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

First light elk

Postby saddlesore » 01 26, 2024 •  [Post 1]

Not to trample on the the other thread, here are few first light elk I have tagged and photo of one area.

Unit 54. It took me about 1/2 hour to get to this bull after the shot. I watched him from when he was only a shape in the early dawn until I could see horns.I got up at 1:30 am that morning, in saddle at 3.Sitting at 5:30 Four bulls and two cows killed from that spot.

elk2.jpg
elk2.jpg (423.09 KiB) Viewed 145 times

elk.jpg
elk.jpg (458.28 KiB) Viewed 143 times

This was in Unit 25. Last day of hunt. I found them bedded down.

first light elk.jpg
first light elk.jpg (331.38 KiB) Viewed 142 times
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Re: First light elk

Postby Swede » 01 26, 2024 •  [Post 2]

Great picture and your point is well taken. I can't say I have ever killed a buck or bull at first light. That seems odd to me, but I just don't remember any. I can get around with a flashlight, but I have to slow down a lot and be extra careful. One of the big reasons I went to tree stand hunting is poor eyesight. I hate stumbling around in the dark even with a flashlight, so I usually wait until there is daylight before I leave my truck. I have waited many times in the truck so I could see better in the timber. Maybe I will get a bull at 0 dark thirty in 2024. I will just need to consistently head out a little sooner in the dark.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby saddlesore » 01 27, 2024 •  [Post 3]

It is disheartening when you are trying to sneak in and hear elk busting thru the timber in front of you.
saddlesore

Postby Swede » 01 27, 2024 •  [Post 4]

Especially when you are getting really close to your tree stand. Based on too many experiences I know there is no bringing them back. When that happens, I do not call or chase them. I turn around and head for a different stand.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby 7mmfan » 01 27, 2024 •  [Post 5]

I haven't killed a first light elk. Close, within 15-20 minutes but not right at light. I have killed a few first light deer. It does always feel kind of weird to be done so early in the day.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby saddlesore » 01 27, 2024 •  [Post 6]

7mmfan wrote:I haven't killed a first light elk. Close, within 15-20 minutes but not right at light. I have killed a few first light deer. It does always feel kind of weird to be done so early in the day.

Ha, last two I killed, I was not done until past noon. It was 4 PM when buy the time I had it packed in and into to the cooler. I do feel that way if it is the first or second day of the season.

I am not too good a hunter until I have few days under my belt. Get a little tired and let my patience settles in.
saddlesore