Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

The Oldest Elk Hunter

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

The Oldest Elk Hunter

Postby Swede » 03 14, 2024 •  [Post 1]

We do not need to be a Cameron Hanes to get out and enjoy a good elk hunt, but it takes more strength and stability than a bowl of Jello. I have seen a little of my strength go away over the years, but I am as steady as ever. I have lost a little stamina but can keep up well enough to get well away from camp and the road. The worst thing I have seen is that I am losing some agility. but I can still draw my bow, hold and shoot.

I will be 77 this next archery elk season and am holding 14 preference points for here in Oregon. I have decided to just burn them on an over-the-counter hunt. If I applied for a quality hunt which I am sure not to get or what they call a "point saver", then I am relegated to a 2nd choice where my odds of drawing are significantly less than any 1st choice hunter with no points. Since it takes at least 20 points (years) to draw a quality tag, I am skeptical that I will be able to hunt 6+ years from now when I should be able to draw. Plus, there is the issue of point creep.

I know some of you lunkheads have a hard time with cognitive issues at times, but I am going to ask two questions anyway. If you can only remember one, then just do your best. Jesus never said just the smartest are going to heaven, so it is alright. :D

Do you think I made a good decision to burn my points on a unit that I could have OTC hunted three years ago?
What is/was the age of the oldest person that could get out and effectively hunt elk that you personally know/knew?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: The Oldest Elk Hunter

Postby Tigger » 03 15, 2024 •  [Post 2]

I will type slow so even you can understand my answers. Probably should use one syllable words as well. This is gonna get real tricky because I am going to answer them in reverse order.

Do I get to claim Vince? My dad hunted elk at 73.

I am going to start my answer with a question, so you better sit down if you are standing. Is there an option between the 20 point unit and the OTC unit? I am not familiar with Or-eee-gone, but seems to me there is usually other options. I do not like the thought of burning 14 on an OTC unit.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 03 15, 2024 •  [Post 3]

Tigger: All good points for a lunkhead. I hate burning my points for what was an OTC unit 2022. There are some statistically slightly better units to hunt that 14 points would be adequate for. The trouble is that they are either rifle hunts or I have no experience with them. I think I can do better in a unit that I know and have a month to hunt. Still, I hate to burn my points, but it is better than going to one of the current OTC units that have few elk or are mostly private land. The small chunks of public land are over hunted by people holding points but wanting to go somewhere.
Swede

Postby Elkhunttoo » 03 15, 2024 •  [Post 4]

To bad you have to use all of your points in one year…it would be nice if you only needed 5 to only have to burn 5

But even though it stinks it sounds like a decent option. You might as well get one more year in the area you know.

My grandfather hunted elk a few times when he was in his 80’s. Not sure exactly how old he was the last year he had a tag but I know he was in his 80’s when he and my uncle ended up doing a brutal hike. Grandma was mad at him because he “shouldn’t be doing it (hunting) any more” ;)

I know a few years after that he was able to harvest a really nice mule deer
Elkhunttoo

Postby saddlesore » 03 17, 2024 •  [Post 5]

I will be 81 come August. I will be putting in for muzzle loader, cow elk, next week. 2nd choice will be a 1st season cow elk hunt. I probably have it a little better than most, as I still have one mule to ride to my hunt area. Last year I had to walk about two hundred yards. I had to have some one bring their mules and pack my elk out. I can no longer lift elk quarters. This coming year I will probably have to pay to have it done.

One of my hunting partners moved out of state and another has been fighting cancers. So it will be a solo hunt

I would look at all possible options to use those points before I would spend them on an OTC hunt. Does Oregon have cap on their OTC hunts? How do you use points on and OTC hunt? I have not built points for at least ten years,but I put in for a draw tag in a unit that I can get a tag with no points.

If you get to thinking you can't do hunt,you won't. I killed one of my bigger bulls when I was 76 on a solo hunt. I quartered it,loaded on a pack mule and got it done. Since then I have been shooting cows as they are a bit smaller.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 03 17, 2024 •  [Post 6]

The only cap on the hunting units is the number of hunters they allow to hunt. As a general rule the better the hunting odds and the fewer the hunters permitted, the more points it takes to be selected. They have a few wild cards that are pure luck to draw. I just don't think it is worth waiting another 6 or 7 seasons to draw a "quality hunt" that affords the hunter a 45% success rate. While holding out I would miss out on 2-3 seasons, based on the odds.
The age question was brought up to see how realistic it is to wait into my 80's to draw one of the quality hunts. If my health holds up, I could go on hunting forever, but I suspect the Lord will reel me in well before that. :D
Swede

Postby Lefty » 03 19, 2024 •  [Post 7]

Hmmm I responded to this but not enough oomph in my phone..

My FIL killed his last elk at 85, his last deer with my wife when he was 89. My nephew had too cut his hunt short to go pack out the deer.

The fellows that put me on my first elk in Montana 30 plus years ago "quit hunting Montana last year,, and went on their first guided trip ever ( in the US) to warm New Mexico at 83 and 81 ( I believe that is correct)
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby 2MANY » 03 19, 2024 •  [Post 8]

Burning your points on an OTC unit seems foolish when you could gift them to me.

My dad is still riding mules, drinking beer, and hunting at 81.
He would need help with the butchering, loading, etc.
He needs no help pointing out the fact that he got it done. lol
The man is as tough as jerky but slowing down by the minute.
2MANY

Postby Swede » 03 20, 2024 •  [Post 9]

I wish we could gift our points. My son would gift his points to me and vice versa, but it just does not happen that way in Oregon.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 03 20, 2024 •  [Post 10]

Swede wrote:I wish we could gift our points. My son would gift his points to me and vice versa, but it just does not happen that way in Oregon.

I do not mind adults gifting to kids or grandchildren. But gifting creates a whole set of problems and abuses. those that have no intention of hunting helping others to "draw" Now if the adult individual is along beside the young hunters that would be fine
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 03 20, 2024 •  [Post 11]

I proposed to ODFW that they allow a onetime gifting of points to bow hunters that held multiple points in 2022 when they made the change. That would not provide opportunity for nonhunters to buy points for family or friends. I do not think it would be a good idea to allow gifting on a continuous basis for the reason you stated. Still, it does not seem right that ODFW changed the program for people with multiple points. They are still telling us we don't have enough points to draw a quality hunt and if we want to continue to try for a quality hunt, we can only compete for a leftover tag when all 1st choice applicants get theirs. I paid ODFW 12 years for my points then they switched the program. Now I have 14 points and the odds of getting a 2nd choice are getting smaller each season.
I have not heard back from ODFW but I am no optimist that they care. After all they benefit by selling points. They get no special benefit by straightening out the mess they made.
Swede