Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Hunting buddy?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Hunting buddy?

Postby ironhead22 » 01 31, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Ill start out with a little about me, I've dreamed of elk hunting for many years but between work family and finance it wasn't possible now it is. I had this planned about 4 years ago, tag in hand, drop camp paid for, ready to go physically and mentally ready 2 weeks out things went south and couldn't go. Time to start over! I have invited my cousin who I've hunted with for 20+ years we agree 95% of the time so its a good fit. The problem is now he's invited a buddy of his to join whom I know nothing about but name and age. He's 55. Last night as me and cousin are working out I ask what the other guy was doing to get into shape, he says nothing yet and that his attitude was he'll hunt them like whitetails here find game trail or water hang a stand and sit it all week. My question is should I try to change his attitude or say hell with him do what I want and let him hang out in a tree for 10 day's?
ironhead22

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Thompson

Re: Hunting buddy?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 31, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Welcome to Elknut’s forum. Glad to see you made it over. Snapshot answer is yes; the third guy should take the pending trip seriously and get in the best shape possible well prior to your pending hunt. If not, he’ll be physically exhausted after two days and possibly, even hurt himself. A plan to “sit on a game trail, water, or hang a stand” is not as easy as he thinks it is. Most spots worth sitting are not 100 yards from a main road and still require a high degree of physical conditioning for ingress/regress. It takes many months of concentrated effort to get into what I consider to be adequate elk hunting shape and it still takes a few days to get completely acclimated to the elevation changes experienced during my time in the elk woods. How's this cat gonna help pack out an elk? Besides conditioning, pouring over maps, practicing and understanding elk language, being very efficient with weapon of choice, trip planning, gear shakeout, all come into play. If a guy is not 110% on board, he’s not invited to hunt with me. Just my thoughts.. Again, welcome to “the” elk forum. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby foxvalley » 01 31, 2013 •  [Post 3]

welcome ironhead!

We have a lot in common,for some reason people call me stonehead, or bonehead,or blockhead,still trying to figure that one out.
Anyway,trying to make someone do something that they arn't going to do anyway is a waste of time.Guessing he won't be in shape to keep up with you guys anyway.Let him sit for 10 days,might be a good way to kill an elk! This is a great place to learn,also if you haven't already,might want to get some Elknut stuff.(playbook)
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby ironhead22 » 01 31, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Phantom I'm inline with your thinking, if he gets lucky and kills one ill be damned if I'm going to pack out more then my share of his elk because he didn't take the necessary steps like I am to be in the best shape possible. Foxvally the ironhead name comes from 10 years as a union ironworker mainly but it does fit well because I'm pretty ironheaded, LOL. Thanks for the advice guys
ironhead22

Postby Vanish » 01 31, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Honestly, I think if he's a good guy, you could make it work. There is one hitch:

Ask him how he plans to get 300lbs of meat out.

Edit: I see you're already on top of that. You really need to talk to this guy and stress it. Last year's elk was the most grueling 24 hours of my 29 years ... imagine it at 55.
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby Swede » 01 31, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Ironhead22: Let me take a little diferent approach here. You did not state where or how you and your cousin plan to hunt. Are you hunting at 5,000 feet or 10,000 feet? Are you hiking in and bivi hunting, or are you camping along a road that you can drive up on. Where I hunt, your cousin's friend would probably not be a problem from what I see so far. The question I have is, how well does he fit into your hunt plans? I don't like the attitude of this friend. It appears he is only thinking about himself. For me that would be a sign that this hunt too could go south, as you say , in a hurry. Also are you scouting for good places to tree stand hunt? Not every place that has elk is a good area to hang a tree stand. Scouting for a good tree stand location is every bit as important as locating good areas to call or spot and stalk hunt for elk. I take that back. It is more important for the tree stand hunter to do his home work.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby ironhead22 » 01 31, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Sorry guys we are going to hunt unit 81 in southern Colorado, we will be doing a drop camp hunt. Base camp will be around 9000 feet. My cousin and me had planned on taking trail cams and if we found anything interesting set one up for a few days and seeing what's coming around then going from there. I have it in my head that I want the "elk experience " bulls screaming us chasing them down and lord willing slipping a Muzzy tipped arrow through both lungs, but I know the water hole tactic works if things are right, but I've.spent 25+ years sitting in treestands and that isn't what I want to do on an elk hunt.
ironhead22

Postby ElkNut1 » 01 31, 2013 •  [Post 8]

First off, 9 out of 10 guys as this generally have things to do when it comes to putting the money down & actually going as the time gets close. Fortunately elk hunting does not require triathlon type conditioning in many areas, is it possible this is one of them aside from elevation?

If the area you are hunting does then explain this politely to the gentleman. He may not be aware of the type of mts he will be challenged by, show him pictures of the area so he can get a realistic idea of what he's getting into & what's expected of him, help him out some, the guy must have some sort of desire to go or he wouldn't be showing this type of interest.

If he wants to treestand/ ground blind hunt I say let him be, it's tough though to find such areas when you're not familiar with an area at all & are limited in days. Explain all this to him, if he still has the desire & accepts the challenge I would do all I could to get him there & help him out, he can't be all bad if none of this deters him. If he were to be successful 100yds from camp or 3 miles from camp & needed help packing meat I'd be right there helping out even if I had to pack the whole thing out myself, he's part of my camp & I would never turn anyone down because I felt I may lose a day of hunting, hunting partners come first, heck I would be honored to assist him in anyway possible as well as showing respect for the animal down. Who knows, his elk may be the only one killed. I may be old school but it's how I was brought up, I'd leave no man hanging for selfish reasons, as camp mates we are all in it together.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby ironhead22 » 01 31, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Elknut I didn't mean to come off as unwilling to help if he kills one that'd part of the experience and I absolutely want that. I guess my concern is if he's 300 yard from camp because he was unprepared and we're 3 miles is he willing or able to do the same fir us?
ironhead22

Postby Swede » 01 31, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Paul make an excellent point about conditioning. At 65 years old, I am not preparing for a triathlon. I can still have a great time hunting and am still successful. By knowing a few things, I can make up for what I have lost in physical ability over the years. I want to be in excellent shape, but I am realistic about my limitations. There are places I won't go unless agreement is made for pack in and out.
I have to admit when I read Ironhead22's first post, I had a flashback to a rifle hunt years ago, when a friend of a friend was brought into the party. He was Laaaaazy, cheeeeeep and controling. Don't let me forget he also tried to take advantage of the others in the party by being tricky and setting us up to unknowingly dog for him. I have no reason to think Ironhead22's new hunting partner is any of these. I would work him into the hunting plans, and get to know the guy. Don't be surprised if the only elk you pack out is his, if he finds a good tree stand location.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby cnelk » 01 31, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Over the years I have helped 7 guys take their first archery elk.
I cant even remember how many I have helped take their first rifle elk.

During all those times, it was so rewarding to experience to adrenaline, excitement and sweat with them.
I set aside my hunting time for them but that was worth it for me...

Saying that, it doesnt mean I still hunt with them.

Life is about experiences and memories. And just like 'luck' there are good times and bad.

I would recommend rolling the dice and having the 'experience and memories' - whatever they may be

Let us know how it turns out
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby FemoralArchery » 01 31, 2013 •  [Post 12]

His age would have very little to do with it for me. My dad is 52 and he can out hike or keep up with 95% people out there. He doesn't lift weights or run. He lives next to some small foothills and goes for a short (<1 mile) hike 2-4 times a week.

I would be more concerned about his charachter. As long as he's a good guy, then help him out however you can. Like Paul said, he's a part of your camp.

Just do whatever you can to help him get prepared. Show him pictures, point him towards sites like this one. An unlimited amount of free information can be obtained from forums like this.
FemoralArchery

First Name: Adam

Postby one_elk » 01 31, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Physical fitness and hunting is an interesting subject. I work hard each year to stay in shape and not let my fitness slip as I get older and I think it makes elk hunting and traveling in the backcountry a lot easier but does it equate to harvesting more elk? I don’t know, I have killed my share of elk but I have also hunted with folks who don’t train as much as I do but have killed several elk. One of my elk hunting mentors when I was growing up was never in great shape but I certainly helped him pack out several elk with him, ok so maybe that is why he had us along but I learned a lot from him so it was worth every bit of it..… And who knows his attitude may change after his first trip and he may decide to get in better shape next year or he may kill a big bull this year close to camp, of course making it easier to pack out, and decide that he is fine with his pre hunt strategy….odds are it will work out for all…..best of luck to ya
one_elk

Postby foxvalley » 01 31, 2013 •  [Post 14]

[quote="ironhead22"] Foxvally the ironhead name comes from 10 years as a union ironworker

Sorry, I couldn't pass on the chance to give you some shtick on your very first thread.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby ElkNut1 » 01 31, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Iornhead, I hear what you are saying bud, it's that I don't subscribe to that sort of logic. If a guy can't help pack because of age or physical condition I don't hold it against him. I would not say no he cannot hunt with us because he may not be able to pack meat like myself, I'm just not that way.

Not trying to change your mind, life is short & it can be tough on guys 55yrs old to just jump up & get in 35yr old shape in a matter of months. Like cnelk I too have helped many elk hunters over the years & the rewards of seeing the reaction of these guys when their elk is down can be indescribable. It can touch ones heart in sharing their overwhelming joy!

Unless this guy is a complete jerk I'd give him a chance regardless whether he can help pack out my elk if I were successful.

Too, I like Adams thought about getting him to come to the Forum here & introduce himself & let's get to know him, maybe we can shed some light on what elk hunting can be like from 100's of years of experience here. We'd all love to meet him!

ElKNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby ironhead22 » 01 31, 2013 •  [Post 16]

Ill definitely send him this way, we are going to have a sit down with him soon. Found out today my Topo maps showed up so hell be able to see what's head and maybe we'll find something that meets his needs and all be happy.
ironhead22

Hunting buddy?

Postby Herb » 01 31, 2013 •  [Post 17]

Good chance I'll have a new fella with me this year, he's got some limitations that concern me, but not in a way that I tell him to stay home. There's plenty to absorb on a first hunt, hope to make his easier and help him anyway I can.

There's plenty of camp chores that a fella hunting close to camp can have done while others hunt farther away, fair to stick him with those?? Having him close to camp can be a good thing, just as long as everyone has common expectations. We take turns on long days from camp, I would love having someone stay close and give me everyday to go!!
Herb

Location: The Corner of Nebraska that is Too Far from Colorado
First Name: S
Last Name: Herb