Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

8 points in Colorado

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

8 points in Colorado

Postby Chad44 » 01 31, 2013 •  [Post 1]

What do you think would be the best way to use 8 points in CO.? Or keep saving? I am in no real hurry because I have a good OTC unit I hunt. Just asking what you think.
Thanks
Chad44

First Name: Chad
Last Name: Davies

Re: 8 points in Colorado

Postby upacreek » 01 31, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Are they 8 resident or NR points?
upacreek

Postby cnelk » 02 01, 2013 •  [Post 3]

If you are a CO Resident, keep saving them

If you are a NR, keep saving them... :)
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby otcWill » 02 01, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Takes 10 for a nonres in 76 and there are some great opps there if you do your research. Good luck!
otcWill

Postby Chad44 » 02 01, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I'm a resident.
Chad44

Postby cnelk » 02 01, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Obviously 8 years ago when you started saving them you had something in mind... ?
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Chad44 » 02 02, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I didn't really. I obviously thought of saving for 20+ years and hunting the big ones( 10, 2, 201 ect). But now it's looking like those will never be reached by me. Started the game too late. Thought about 61 and 76 too. I not in a hurry just kinda seeing what a guy would do. Conversation starter I guess. I get the Eastmans with the member research sections and I'm on the DOW website looking around a lot too but those don't give first hand knowledge of a unit. Maybe a guy here hunted 76 last year and was disappointed.
Chad44

Postby buglmin » 02 05, 2013 •  [Post 8]

GMU 76 is really starting to be a disappointment. Lots of elk, but a 300" bull in most of the unit is a good bull. Lots of guys hunt the Ute Creek Area, Palisade Meadows Area, or the Rio Grande Piramid Area and the area around the Rio Grande Resivior.
If youre considering trying to draw 76, bring horses to access the area. You need horses to get into the areas to start, and you'll need horses to get elk out. I do know the area around Palisade Meadows last fall looked like a lil city with the tents and outfitters in there.
buglmin

Postby Vanish » 02 05, 2013 •  [Post 9]

cnelk wrote:Obviously 8 years ago when you started saving them you had something in mind... ?

For a resident, this does not seem true to me. I mean, points are cheap, why NOT buy them, if you're going to hunt OTC anyway? One of these days cash them in. As someone who only has a couple, I'm not sure when I should use them either. It seems like getting a top unit will never happen, but if I was to pick a low point unit, I'd spend a lot of time just learning a different hunt. I'm not really interested in using my points to draw a rifle tag, just like archery too much.

So, for me, I'd prefer to just have a "better" experience. I worry that getting that experience will come at too much cost as far as time spent learning a new area.

Ramble ramble ... :D

Side note: I really want to do a high country mule deer hunt with my bow, but that conflicts with elk season! O what to do?!
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby Chad44 » 02 10, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Side note: I really want to do a high country mule deer hunt with my bow, but that conflicts with elk season! O what to do?![/quote]

I'm with you here. I'm debating on buring my 7 mule deer points this year for an early season high elevation rifle hunt. It goes from the 7-14 of sept. so I'd be carrying a rifle for some of the season. And I did just what you are doing with points. I'm getting ready to want that "elk bugling everywhere" hunt where I'm 90% sure its elk and not a hunter. Everything I'm reading says that theere are a lot of good 1-2 point units for archery elk. For archery deer there are a ton of 0-1 point options out there and I'm inbetween now (too many to burn on a 1 point unit but not enough to go really big on a good 4th season rifle hunt).
Chad44