Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

New to the forum

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

New to the forum

Postby BadgerBoy561 » 02 10, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Hello everyone I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Dylan I'm 21 and from Wisconsin. I was referred to this site through Archery Talk while researching for my first elk hunt. Some friends and I will be doing an OTC DIY public land elk hunt in September 2014. We are not sure what state we are going to choose. Any advice on choosing an area, I'm by no means looking for you to give up your honey holes I just want good solid advice to try and make this trip successful. Thank you in advance for everything I will learn from you all, from what I hear there are some VERY intelligent individuals on here and I look forward to learning from you. Thanks again.
BadgerBoy561

Re: New to the forum

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 02 10, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Welcome to the forum!

I hunt in Oregon so I can't be much help. :(
JohnFitzgerald

Postby BadgerBoy561 » 02 10, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Anywhere out west would do, we are leaning towards Idaho, Colorado, or Wyoming.
BadgerBoy561

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 10, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Welcome to "the" elk forum. You may wish to include MT in your list, some pretty good OTC areas there.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby BowKill » 02 10, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Welcome to the site. Some really knowledgeable elk hunters on here.

If you're not going until 2014 why not put in for a preference point for this year and apply for a limited draw hunt in 2014. There are some units that a NR could draw with 1 point in Colorado. IMO your odds go up in a decent draw unit. Less hunters = Less competition
BowKill

First Name: Wes

Postby Swede » 02 10, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Welcome to the forum. If you are going to hunt every year, then plan on an OTC area that has good success and appeals to your likes, and the way you want to hunt. It is valuable to learn your hunting area. If you are just going every few years, then look for a good draw area. No place is well suited to everyone. Find one that you and your friend(s) can handle with the equipment and time you have. Not everyone can or even wants to hike 12 miles back into a wilderness, fueled on pine nuts and granola. Maybe you want to camp near a road and hike out from there each day. Talk it over with those who will go with you, Check State information for the hunter success for different areas, based on your weapon of choice, and go where you you like. In other words hunt Colorado or Idaho. :) Good luck.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics