Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What did you do? Scenario 11

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What did you do? Scenario 11

Postby cnelk » 02 15, 2013 •  [Post 1]

What did you do to to get into the predicament the pic shows below?
What is the story BEFORE this?

cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Re: What did you do? Scenario 11

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 15, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I walked in on the access trail before daylight. Heard an unsolicited bugle way above me on the sidehill, to the left. Have been working below this heard w/o saying a peep trying to intercept them as they move from feed to bed. They've gained a bit of elevation which is where I am now. It's 8:00 AM or so, as evidenced from the still long shadow from the scraggly pine in the middle of meadow in front of the first calf. I'm thinking right is east in this picture. Thermals are still going down nicely as evidenced from the dry grass blowing right to left. I've done a quick range, set up, and now see a cow with two calfs (a bit odd, as lead cows many times are a dry, old smart cow w/o calfs). At any rate, I'm in a pretty good postion to intercept the beasts as they file through the meadow. The cow is looking back over her shoulder, giving a green light for the rest of the herd. I'm almost positive I saw her give a "head nod" :).. The front calf is looking down to my left, not sure why as I am hunting solo and I have the thermals in my favor. Now, I'm just waiting for a legal animal to get within bow range (not sure what is legal in this area..). If a cow tag, I'm feeling good about my odds at this time.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Trophyhill » 02 15, 2013 •  [Post 3]

i called the herd bulls cows from him........now i'm waiting for him to show up so i can kill him ;)
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby Da White Shoe » 02 15, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Trophyhill wrote:i called the herd bulls cows from him........now i'm waiting for him to show up so i can kill him ;)

Don't bother waiting for the herd bull.... I just shot him. The cow and two calves are watching him die... look! Below and to the left of you!
See me? I'm waving at you.
Da White Shoe

First Name: zane

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 15, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Da White Shoe wrote:
Trophyhill wrote:i called the herd bulls cows from him........now i'm waiting for him to show up so i can kill him ;)

Don't bother waiting for the herd bull.... I just shot him. The cow and two calves are watching him die... look! Below and to the left of you!

Weird.. I thought I heard a faint guitar in the background.. Sneaky dog.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby ElkNut1 » 02 16, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Boy, the scenarios could be endless as to what the elk were doing or are doing? Not sure where you're going with this one? (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Indian Summer » 02 16, 2013 •  [Post 7]

It's easy to get in this predicament. Just sit down for lunch in an area with no cover and lean your bow against a tree 20 feet away with no arrow nocked. Works every time. :D

Looks like they also caught my partner downhill in the cover taking care of business with his pants around his ankles. That works sometimes too.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby BadgerBoy561 » 02 16, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Indian Summer wrote:It's easy to get in this predicament. Just sit down for lunch in an area with no cover and lean your bow against a tree 20 feet away with no arrow nocked. Works every time. :D

Looks like they also caught my partner downhill in the cover taking care of business with his pants around his ankles. That works sometimes too.

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to try that
BadgerBoy561

Postby Trophyhill » 02 16, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Da White Shoe wrote:

so that was the sound of a death moan i heard.......and i thought i was hearing things :D
Trophyhill

Postby elkmtngear » 02 16, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I moved in to get an ambush position on the herd bull.....only to see him run by me at 15 yds with trophyhill's arrow in him :cry:
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Trophyhill » 02 16, 2013 •  [Post 11]

elkmtngear wrote:I moved in to get an ambush position on the herd bull.....only to see him run by me at 15 yds with trophyhill's arrow in him :cry:

unfortunately that was Zane's arrow :( but on the positive side he never saw me when he ran past me as the SlipSystem concealed me :)
Trophyhill

Postby elkmtngear » 02 16, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Trophyhill wrote: unfortunately that was Zane's arrow :( but on the positive side he never saw me when he ran past me as the SlipSystem concealed me :)

Damn, I even screwed THAT up!
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Trophyhill » 02 16, 2013 •  [Post 13]

elkmtngear wrote:
Trophyhill wrote: unfortunately that was Zane's arrow :( but on the positive side he never saw me when he ran past me as the SlipSystem concealed me :)

Damn, I even screwed THAT up!

i thought for sure you saw me :)
Trophyhill

Postby Swede » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 14]

When I see anything like this, I am usually caught off guard while slipping in to my tree stand location. The ultimate disappointment is to realize that the bull I was holding out for was just shot by Da White Shoe. Well congratulations. I will help you get it out, as it will be a waste of my time to sit in my stand and just watch while you are working so near. By the way, are you sure you don't owe me a steak dinner for using my stand? Everyone says they called it in, but I am skeptical since a grunt tube is still hanging on the hook next to the stand, and it ain't mine. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics