Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Multi-state applications??

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Multi-state applications??

Postby Sneez_98 » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I am look to start building prefrance points in Utah, Nevada Arizona or New Mexico but there web sites don't explain the process very well, does anyone know how expensive it is to put in points in these states??
Sneez_98

First Name: Mike
Last Name: Sneesby

Re: Multi-state applications??

Postby Indian Summer » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 2]

It sounds like at your stage of the game you may want to consider signing up for hunterstrailhead.com Just a thought.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Willie makit » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 3]

New Mexico has no points to get, you apply at the ground floor every year, they sit on a pocket full of your money then a couple months later send you "unsuccessful " notice then refund your money less some fee, about 20$, best I remember. Your odds of drawing actually vary from nearly 100% to way less than 1% depending on hunt.

Utah is about 70$ per year plus a fee, coming from my severely taxed memory.

Arizona works out to 165$ per year for a bonus point.

I haven't gotten to Nevada yet so can't give you anything for there.

I'm deathly afraid to figure out the untold hours I've spent reading, searching, calculating and asking around to figure out what your ultimately trying to find out. Look at montana and wyoming if you want to blow a mental gasket. Some states have preference points others are bonus points, one i saw has both. I'll be in 6 states for sure this year maybe more but my odds still work out to 1:8 chance of pulling a tag merely by data available now. Additionally some states erase your points if you miss a year or two so be careful before you just "buy points".
Good luck
Willie makit

First Name: Thomas

Postby Indian Summer » 02 18, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Yep Montana has both. Bonus points for licenses and preference points for permits. Funny but I think Montana and Wyoming are easy but that because it's my turf. 0ther guys will tell me AZ or NM is easy while I scratch my head. Give it a minute and someone here will likely be able to help you with any state.

Like Willie said the hours of research are unreal... and never ending.

That's why I suggested Hunters Trailhead. It has info on the licensing systems for each state, maps of units along with draw odds etc. But also you can set up a profile to include which states interest you, how many points you currently have in each of those states. Not only can you find out anything you need to know there about licensing but more imprtantly you can keep all of the information you gather filed away in an organized manner, including your personal points info for each species for each state.... all in one place for future reference.

The fact is though that all of the information on there can be found here on the net for free, mostly on the sometimes confusing Fish & Game websites. These guys just make it a bit easier. Plus you can ask them questions if you have some which is nice. Finding the info and understanding it can be 2 different things.

0f course you could just dig it all up yourself & create a folder for each state which I also do and drop documents & maps etc in there but for $25 what the heck. Around Christmas it's only $19.99. They are still improving the site so before you cough up any $$ make sure they already have the states you're interested in.

I know one thing... I would N0T pay the various license application companies like Huntin' Fool or Cabelas to do the apps for me. There's no reason to and if you draw you'll know way more about where you are hunting if you do it yourself. Most people who aquire licenses using them just hire outfitters.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Seminole » 02 18, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Joe: I always learn somthing new about you... :)
Seminole

First Name: Noah
Last Name: McKinnon