Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk Decoy?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk Decoy?

Postby NCelkhtr » 02 19, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I was wondering about the different ways to use decoys. Last year I bought one of those thin fold up cow decoys. I have seen shows where guys were hunting antalope and walked directly at the animals holding the decoy infront of them and getting close enough for a bow shot. Just wondering if anyone has tried this on elk? I was considering it if it was late in the hunt and running out of options.
NCelkhtr

First Name: Zack
Last Name: Benfield

Re: Elk Decoy?

Postby elkmtngear » 02 19, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Zack,

I have certainly used my decoy as a shield to move in and around elk, and we have killed several bulls doing this over the years. Using the decoy can free you up to move if you need to adjust your position to get the wind advantage on elk. It can also help break up the human outline if you have to move across an open park.

Decoys will certainly not work in every situation, but they are a nice tool to have in your arsenal. With elk in the rut, bulls will often "hang up" in the timber when you attempting to call, because they want visual confirmation to go with the sound they are hearing. A good elk decoy can bring a lovestruck bull easily into bow range in the right scenario.

I have personally had bulls within feet of my decoy when calling. This picture was taken by one of our Pro Staffers with the bull standing about 8 feet in front of the Open Country Elk decoy. Lou had to lean back to try to get the bull in focus, and shot the pic over the top of the decoy. Since he was looking for a bigger bull, he eventually picked up the decoy and backed out hiding behind it.....and the bull simply stood there and watched, confused.

Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Swede » 02 19, 2013 •  [Post 3]

There is a time and a place for everything. This idea very well applies to decoys. I believe decoys are best used by bow elk hunters, when they are out calling alone. The decoy can be set up, and get the elk to focus on it. The decoy may draw your quary in or put it at ease. The elk being called heard another elk (you) and is now able to see it as he approaches. If you are set in a good location, you can be closer to the elk for a shot. :D
There are times to leave your decoy in camp or in your truck. It has been my observation that a decoy, at a water hole or wallow where I am waiting, is a liability. Some elk are ok with the decoy, and some turn around and leave. I gained nothing in those cases as all of the elk were coming in when they saw my decoy. :cry:
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby elkmtngear » 02 19, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I agree with Swede that decoys are a "run and gun" tool, and not best utilized when watching a wallow.

However, our decoy system easily converts to a rain shelter, camo blind, or treestand cover if you are doing so ;)

Best of Luck,
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Swede » 02 19, 2013 •  [Post 5]

There is nothing wrong with a good umbrella even on a sunny day. A portable blind that is quick to set up can also give you a big advantage. Good point Jeff
Swede

Postby easeup » 02 19, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I always follow the decoy threads.......
easeup

Postby Swede » 02 19, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Elk react differently to a decoy. Some see the decoy and immediately turn and run. The other extreme is when one comes and looks over the decoy, walks up and sniffs it for a while, looks some more, then goes to get a drink. After finishing the drink it goes back and checks out the decoy again before casually walking off. I don't use a decoy at a water hole because too many are scared off.
Swede

Postby elkmtngear » 02 19, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Theelkhunter wrote:We are using my buddies decoy while cold calling and had decent results. We are still figuring out a few things though. In 2011, my buddy called in a bull and it walked right up to the decoy. He missed the bull. After he cow called, the bull ran right back up to the decoy. He didn't miss the second time. The bull received an arrow right through the pump station.

If the bull gets fixated on the decoy, it can sometimes give you the ability to make a mistake....or two.......here's a few lines about an encounter with a 350+ bull, from a testimonial from one of our Customers, who was kneeling down, about 30 yards out to the front and side of his decoy with no cover at all:

"I ranged the bull and he was 42 yards on the dot, and uphill from me. I drew my bow back, got a solid rest and let the arrow fly. To my disbelief the arrow sailed right over the top of the bulls back, he jumped a little bit and spun 180 degrees, never taking his eyes off the decoy. I once again ranged the bull and he was now 40 yards. I put my 40 yard pin dead center on his chest and let another arrow fly. Unbelievablely the arrow once again sailed right over the bulls back. I could not believe what was happening, and you might think I am lying but the bull just stood there and kept looking at the decoy. I again ranged the bull and he had not moved and was 40 yards on the money. This time I put my 40 yard pin on the bottom of his chest, got a solid rest and squeezed my release. The arrow flew true, and you would never believe it but I hit him right in the brisket".
Best of Luck,
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby elkmtngear » 02 19, 2013 •  [Post 9]

This bull came in from a long way down the canyon in the crappiest swirly wind ever (at 10 AM)....announcing his arrival.

He walked out 15 yds in front of the decoy and stopped. When the wind swirled around, he spun a 360 but kept watching the decoy. I gave a soft cow call (I was hidden behind the decoy).....and he immediately relaxed...and started to come around to try to get my wind. My buddy was waiting for him 30 yards away...and hammered him at around 10 yards.

Best of Luck,
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby NCelkhtr » 02 20, 2013 •  [Post 10]

thanks for all the help fellas. I'll dfor sure be packing the decoy in again this year and putting it to use more in the right situations.
NCelkhtr

First Name: Zack
Last Name: Benfield