Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Hunting GPS maps.com ?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Hunting GPS maps.com ?

Postby mandrroofing » 02 19, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I Wanted to see if anyone here uses this on there GPS and what yoru thoughts on it was.Is it worth it? IM looking at the Colorado map

Thanks! :D
mandrroofing

First Name: Matt

Re: Hunting GPS maps.com ?

Postby Magic » 02 19, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Yes, it is well worth the $$$. I have seen it on the Garmin Oregon, and have it on my Garmin Etrex 30.
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D

Postby mandrroofing » 02 19, 2013 •  [Post 3]

what is it you like the most?
mandrroofing

Hunting GPS maps.com ?

Postby Solitude » 02 19, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Very handy for private vs public land.
Solitude

Postby MTLongdraw » 02 20, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Absolutely reccomend this product. Got my first bull using it. He was standing in an area that was extremely difficult to tell who owned what. After looking at if for a while we were able to tell it was BLM land. Then we also used it to get ahold of a landowner and get permission to retrieve it through their property. Not only does it show public and private, but it shows topo lines, trails, roads, and even hunting districts.
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty

Postby BrentLaBere » 02 20, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I bought the google earth overlay for Montana. I will also be getting the chip for my handheld garmin pending on the draw results. So far it is an awesome tool. Very handy finding out land owners as well as dissecting the checkerboard public lands of Montana. Plan out access points according to where and how you want to get away from the trail-heads. I would recommend this especially for the non-resident hunter for a pre scouting tool. It takes google earth to another level.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby dotman » 02 20, 2013 •  [Post 7]

100% recommend their products. The CO map is accurate on public vs private, show the ownership name of private, breaks out the gmu's and has amazing details for example logging roads that are overgrown are on it in some areas.

The best feature is how accurate it is. The Garmin topo is off.
dotman

Postby Magic » 02 20, 2013 •  [Post 8]

It takes you from 100K down to 24K on the TOPO so the detail is much more precise. The landowner boundaries are invaluable.
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 20, 2013 •  [Post 9]

If you are going to buy it, be sure to purchase the Plate version that has the private land owners names on it. Not only does it show you where the private land is but it also tells you who owns it.

It has saved my bacon more than once. One day I had stumbled around through blowdown for close to 6 hours while bush wacking cross country on an elk hunt. I was dog tired! I knew there was a trail somewhere that would get me out of there. So I clicked on the garmin and it showed me exactly where it was. No more looking at Long & Lat or UTM numbers and trying to locate yourself on a topo map. Because, the map is right there in your hand on your GPS and it pinpoints your exact location.

It's one of the best investments I have ever made.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby mandrroofing » 02 20, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Awsom guys,Great info!i just ordered it and looking forward to hooking it up!
mandrroofing

Postby mtelkkiller » 02 20, 2013 •  [Post 11]

One of the best things you can buy for hunting. Figuring out the landowner boundaries opened up a whole new world for me.
mtelkkiller

First Name: John
Last Name: Weiss

Postby BobcatJerry » 02 24, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Check out GPSfiledepot.com. Free map site. I use a bunch of them but many show western land usage. Idaho Topo does, I used it past 3 years. Usually the one marked editors Choice are free and have land usage. HuntingGPSmaps.com has a plat map version which would be nice, if you have a lot of private ground and wanted to asked permission. When I see private land marked on the map, I just don't go on it, I don't really care who owns it.

I have heard a lot of positive things about HuntingGPSmaps.com, but the free ones work for me.
BobcatJerry

First Name: Jerry
Last Name: F

Postby mtnmutt » 03 10, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Has anyone done the update to CO Hunting for Garmin version 13 which came out February 28th?

I have version 12 from last year. I was wondering if it is worth the update. Some of the changes seem to be worth the $30 update.
mtnmutt

Hunting GPS maps.com ?

Postby Huntography » 03 10, 2013 •  [Post 14]

This is on my list as well. Looks like a must have.
Huntography
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy

Postby aron » 03 10, 2013 •  [Post 15]

I have used Kirsch's Outdoor Products which is basically the same thing and they are so invaluable. I might have to try one of these as well. I know the Kirsch products you can get one chip to includes 7 western states instead of buying multiple chips but didn't see anything for Hunting GPS Maps.
aron

First Name: Aron

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 10, 2013 •  [Post 16]

http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/ Here you go Aron. Click on this link and you should get it.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics