Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Call Selection

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Call Selection

Postby MTLongdraw » 02 21, 2013 •  [Post 1]

It's late in February and the mind is starting to wander. How am I going to get it done this year? I know every situation is so dependent on numerous things, but is there just a brief summary of when to use what call?

For example
To locate use a locator bugle.
when working a heard bull use cow calls.
When working a bull who is hung up possibly use the nervous grunt (my personal favorite :D )

Any other brief examples and scenarios to help us new guys out. I have one of the books but I can't find my CD's :o
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty

Re: Call Selection

Postby Swede » 02 21, 2013 •  [Post 2]

When moving from one area to another, as I slowly work my way through the forest staying in the shadows, I will give out an occasional cow call. It is interesting to find bulls will call back to me even before I thought I was within their hearing range. Sometime I have had then come on the run.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby elkmtngear » 02 21, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Paul (Elknut) has a great article in the current issue of Elk Hunter Magazine, that addresses how calling at the wrong time, or in the wrong situation, can possibly screw up your hunt.

The elk know when and where to be vocal. Walking around on what the elk consider a "no bugle day" hooting out locator calls, sometimes just makes the elk say "yeah, right"! (in my opinion)

It's a very good article if you get the chance to read it.
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Swede » 02 21, 2013 •  [Post 4]

A "no bugle day"? That is a new one to me. I have never been a proponent of indiscriminate bugling. I too think it is way over done by many elk hunters, but I have never heard of a "no bugle day". Are the "no bugle days" on a universal elk calendar like our Gregorian calendar or does each herd, or GMU grouping of herds, have to come up with their own? :D
Swede

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 21, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Silent calling ,or some call it cold calling. This is a great method, especially the first week or so of the season when the elk are usually quiet. But you need to be on your toes as the elk will come in to check you out without making a sound. Guess that's why it's called silent calling.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 02 21, 2013 •  [Post 6]

WW is correct on this. "Cold calling, "silent calling"; it is mostly still bugling. It takes patience and often about an hour to determine if it is working. The silent part goes to the elk. You call and he silently homes in on you. This is a case where you need to stay constantly alert, because as sure as you drop your guard, that is when the bull will show.
Swede

Postby Da White Shoe » 02 21, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I have witnessed a few of those "no-bugle days" myself! ;)

I do not adhere to the currently popular philosophy that advises limiting the amount you bugle.
If I'm in a logical place that a bull would be and the time and conditions feel right to me... I don't ever hesitate to bugle.
I have seen persistent, exited calling make things happen... at times when a lone bugle or cow sounds didn't get a response.

Is there just a brief summary of when to use what call?

For example
To locate use a locator bugle. Cow calls will sometimes work better for this, for whatever reason.
when working a heard bull use cow calls. Sometimes the bull couldn't care less that another cow is over where you are. Depending on your position relative to the herd, a bugle may be the call to use.
When working a bull who is hung up possibly use the nervous grunt. That's a good call in this case... along with a pleading cow call or other excited calls such as; tree raking, brush breaking, stomping, wheezes, huffs, etc...

Never forget this though... sometimes silence is the best sound to use.
Da White Shoe

First Name: zane

Postby Indian Summer » 02 22, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Swede... if you know an area where the members of the Elk Union don't have meetings where they declare mandatory no bugling days I want to go there. Lip lock can happen anywhere anytime. :cry:
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby ElkNut1 » 02 22, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Jeff, does the Magazine really say I said there are "no bugle days" ??? I never wrote that & I certainly don't hunt by that code! (grin) Heck, there isn't a day that I'm elk hunting that I don't use my bugle, some days more sparingly than others but it always gets use, you can bet on that. (grin) I'm in total agreement with Da White Shoe! Geez, now I have to go & find it & read the article, I have it here but I haven't read it yet, matter a fact I generally don't read what I wrote, why, because I wrote it! (grin) If it says it then it was worded that way by the editor not me. Thanks!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Swede » 02 22, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Indian Summer, I agree. The elk have their meetings and collude against us hunters. They get a kick out of seeing that old Swede back hiking around and/or waiting in his tree. I have long believed they enjoy seeing me back. lol The problem is they never give me the minutes to their meetings or an update on their plans. I have to figure it out on my own. You would think since we are old friends they would share more. :D
Swede

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 22, 2013 •  [Post 11]

I'm a big fan of chuckling when in promity of a bull with cows. It's really a slap in the face that some dude is trying to call his cows over. I'll sometimes use chuckles with a scream, or, just chuckle. I use a lot of seductive cow calls to get a hung up bull to come a bit closer, usually moving away a bit or calling over my shoulder or into the ground. Many times where I hunt, locater bugles are not required as I hear bulls bugling before have to ask them to speak up :)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby ElkNut1 » 02 22, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Well, I read my article, finally, man that was a good one! (grin) Jeff, I see what you were saying now, I didn't say there were non bugling days but I believe you were referring to times not to bugle & there are times to bugle. Of course that is 100% spot on, yes we are both on the same page!! Thanks.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby flystrait » 02 22, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Swede wrote:Indian Summer, I agree. The elk have their meetings and collude against us hunters. They get a kick out of seeing that old Swede back hiking around and/or waiting in his tree. I have long believed they enjoy seeing me back. lol The problem is they never give me the minutes to their meetings or an update on their plans. I have to figure it out on my own. You would think since we are old friends they would share more. :D

And I thought that I was the only one this happened too! Whoo I feel better now..LOL

CK
flystrait