Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Second Arrow?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Second Arrow?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 23, 2013 •  [Post 1]

OK, you've gotten up close and personal with an elk. Things just seemed to work out right this time.. wind, terrain, responses to your calling, cosmic forces, etc., etc., etc.. Your first arrow seemed to find the mark just fine at 32 yards.. It all happens so quick but you're positive you've sent the broadhead home for sure. Here's my question. Do you make an elk noise, attempting to stop the beast again; perhaps just to prevent him from dropping into "hell's canyon"? Do you in most situations, attempt to stop the elk and put another projectile in him? Just curious. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Second Arrow?

Postby elkmtngear » 02 24, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I always cow call right after the shot.

If there was any amount of uncertainty about the first shot, I'd shoot again, but only if it was in good range and I knew I could get vitals; but that hasn't happened yet.

In most cases where I have arrowed elk, they are in cover quickly after the shot, offering no shot opportunity.

I have watched several of them stop soon after I call.....it's amazing that the instinct to breed is so strong, that the elk is standing there with an arrow in him saying to himself "where the heck is that cow'?
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby ElkNut1 » 02 24, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Definitely call after the shot, not sure that we've never NOT called after the shot! It helps slow them & sometimes stops them. If I can get a 2nd or 3rd arrow in them I'd do it in a heartbeat! The more wound channels the better! Would you handle a rifle shot elk any different?

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 24, 2013 •  [Post 4]

You bet! I had one actually stop and come looking for me when I called after the shot. That was the very first bull I had ever called in. It made me think, "Boy! This elk calling is easy stuff"! Man, was I ever wrong! LOL!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby MTLongdraw » 02 24, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Absolutely. I saw it done the first time in 2011. After the shot we were so excited we probably got a little loud. The bull left and we bugled at him again. He started to come back before he expired. I called mine this year (can't remember what i did) after I shot him and he stopped and started trying to bugle but just ended up coughing and falling over. I think the more chances at wound cavities the better.
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty

Postby cnelk » 02 24, 2013 •  [Post 6]

There is a reason you carry more than one arrow, and shooting an elk again is one of them!
Given the chance, you bet I will shoot an elk more than once.
Even done it a couple of times... :)

Many times they dont even realize they are hit, and that quick call will stop them for another shot
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Buglemaster » 02 24, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I always call at the shot & as WW said have had a hit bull turn & actually come back looking.If there is an opportunity to get a second arrow in him, its on its way>>--------->
Buglemaster

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Shaklee

Postby Lefty » 02 24, 2013 •  [Post 8]

With a rifle nearly evey big game animal gets a 2nd if it wasnt on the ground immediately.
My daughters learned well. Last fall my youngest shot at her moose , ran up to it(5 yards) :roll: and shot again, both top of the heart
My middle daughter on an antelope hunt fired ,blood pumping out, fired again in less than 5 secounds 8-)
Make them deader when possible

Howevery archery elk
My first misfired arrow I didnt cow call I was in a blind with 8 cows and calves surrounding me He knew something was up and all his cows were with me
On a let down( I couldnt do it and released the arrow intro the ground). Again I was in the blind , Even though the arrow stike was loud I didnt want to add confussion to the bulls or give away my location, no call
A flesh wound on a bull 2 years ago, The bullll had moved to 70 yars and the hit didnt appear lethal at the time of the shot, I also had cows and calves close to me. I remained quiet as was able to determine the elk was OK, At that range if it was any kind of possible major injury I would have sent a 2nd, At that distnce I woulndt shoot otherwise, and only would have called if he began to move off
This year sailing 2 arrows over the back of a bull I he stopped after each cow call

Kill them dead as soon as you can

I believe you need to watch the animal, I wouldnt call if the animal is standing still if he turns to leave yes a 2nd arrow yes if I thought It could be done without spooking the animal,
3 years ago, good shot slightly back but good,( I didnt allow for the 20 mph wind) I had the 2nd arrow in her as soon as I was offered a shot
But the elk didnt know I was there
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby buglmin » 02 24, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I always cow call to stop them, and no sir, I dont shoot an elk again. I dont move, make a human sound, nothing. I watch him through the binos, and let him die in peace.
buglmin

Postby bnsafe » 02 24, 2013 •  [Post 10]

if i can remember to call in the heat of the moment, and if i can remember to nock another arrow i would shoot again. ive never seen an animal i wanted to take "to dead"
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby ElkNut1 » 02 24, 2013 •  [Post 11]

I will add there have been times my son & I wish we could have gotten a 2nd arrow into the elk, the tracking would have been shorter & in some cases the elk hit was never seen again. A backup/insurance arrow will always fly from us!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Sean D. » 02 24, 2013 •  [Post 12]

I will empty my whole quiver if the elk lets me! 2 years ago I shot my elk at 32 yards but hit him just a hair back, I immediatly cow called and he stopped in his tracks, I knocked another arrow and guessed he went maybe 10 yards after the first shot! He was quartering away slightly and i slipped an arrow right where I wanted it and he didnt even flinch! I knew he was dead but I didnt want him going any farther so I knocked a 3rd arrow and by this time he had taken a few steps and had turned broadside again, That arrow hit the mark as well and he never took another step. I was able to get a truck within 40 yards and brought him out whole!
Sean D.

First Name: Sean
Last Name: D

Postby elkoholic » 02 24, 2013 •  [Post 13]

I always call after the shot. I have yet to put a second or third arrow in an elk, but only because the shot wasn't there. No shooting lane, too far ect. If an opportunity did present itself you better believe I would let the arrow fly!
elkoholic

First Name: Chewy
Last Name: Swatzell

Postby cnelk » 02 24, 2013 •  [Post 14]

I called this cow into about 30yds.
She came in from the left.
I made the shot, she ran to the right out of sight with the arrow buried
I called. I quickly knocked another arrow.
I called again and i saw her making her back to the left where she came from.
She stopped in a shooting lane and was swaying.
I ranged her at 50yds and sent another into her.
She trotted off and I heard her fall.
You can see my 2nd arrow in my quiver. Didn't find the broke fletch shaft end of my first.

Elk are tough regardless of how 'good' of shot we made.
We owe it to the elk to a quick death, even if that requires more than one arrow.

cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby BowKill » 02 24, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Always shoot again, called a couple of cows out of a drainage a few years back on opening day. Instead of coming out on the trail were we thought they would come out they came busting through a small aspen thicket 25yds to my left. I gave a quick mew and shot the lead cow, I immediately started calling again and they both stopped. I moved around and sent a 2nd arrow into her pumphouse. Still confused the other cow stood there long enough for my buddy to sneak down to my position for a shot, to bad he missed.
BowKill

First Name: Wes

Postby Swede » 02 24, 2013 •  [Post 16]

I cow call after the shot. I will call if I am with you, and you take the shot. Over the years I have had three elk that I was able to get two or more arrows in. Two of the three never moved from their position, when I made the first shot. One elk I shot five times with aluminum arrows. The elk then fell over and ruined all five of my arrows, but I had no problem tracking.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby planebow » 02 24, 2013 •  [Post 17]

This last year I shot my elk at about 20 yards, he run up the bank and stopped at aout 25 yards then I put another arrow though the lungs. He then made about 10 yars and was down, no tracking!
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby BowKill » 02 24, 2013 •  [Post 18]

It's very important to call right after shooting. It will help calm the animal and maybe helping the shooter get another arrow into them. I've had two bulls die well within 100yds that probably had enough steam to take them farther. By calming them down by calling I think you help reduce the adrenaline rush. An elk that is operating on pure adrenaline can go a long ways even with a lethal hit.
BowKill

First Name: Wes

Postby easeup » 02 24, 2013 •  [Post 19]

I have never had the oppurtunity to use that #2 arrow yet. but everytime without any hesitation I have put another one on the string to be prepared for lady luck if she calls.
common wisdom for years in nearly all forms of elk hunting chronicles, the writers always have said to call after your shot, watch where the elk goes and knock another arrow. who am I to argue?
easeup

Postby Trophyhill » 02 24, 2013 •  [Post 20]

yes i call after the kill shot to ease their nerves so they will go down in site or earshot
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 24, 2013 •  [Post 21]

Just what I expected from this esteemed group ;) I don't care if I see an arrow blast through both lungs, richochet off a rock and do the same thing coming back, I always make an elk noise to try to stop the beast for a second shot. It has saved my bacon in a few situations. For me, it's a rule as much as anything I do.. Try to get a second arrow into the objective. Thanks for your comments gentlemen.
WapitiTalk1

Postby msd1228 » 02 24, 2013 •  [Post 22]

I'm in the camp of the more arrows in the pumphouse, the better.

With regards to calling after the shot, what sort of calls do you guys like to use? Simple cow talk, bugle, nervous grunt?
msd1228

First Name: Shane

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 24, 2013 •  [Post 23]

msd1228 wrote:I'm in the camp of the more arrows in the pumphouse, the better.

With regards to calling after the shot, what sort of calls do you guys like to use? Simple cow talk, bugle, nervous grunt?

I use whatever I was doing up until the time I shot... As some have mentioned, in the heat of the moment, many bulls don't even realize they've been hit. A loud scream has worked for me in the past to allow a second arrow by either myself or who I was calling for.
WapitiTalk1

Second Arrow?

Postby slim9300 » 02 24, 2013 •  [Post 24]

ElkNut1 wrote:I will add there have been times my son & I wish we could have gotten a 2nd arrow into the elk, the tracking would have been shorter & in some cases the elk hit was never seen again. A backup/insurance arrow will always fly from us!

ElkNut1

Exactly.
Work hard. Be happy. Annoy a Liberal. :wink:
2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
University of Washington; Foster School of Business Alum
slim9300

Postby G Posik » 02 25, 2013 •  [Post 25]

Cow call right away and have a second arrow knocked and ready. Couple years ago with one one the ground my cousin almost got a shot off before the second elk noticed the first elk on the ground and they high tailed it out of there.

Glenn
G Posik

First Name: Glenn
Last Name: Posik

Postby Da White Shoe » 02 26, 2013 •  [Post 26]

I always call right after the shot. Sometimes it really helps, sometimes it doesn't help at all... but it never hurts.
If they give you a second shot, no matter where "you thought" the first one went... take it!
My 2 cents.
Da White Shoe

First Name: zane

Postby Jaquomo » 02 26, 2013 •  [Post 27]

Always, always, always for me. Sometimes what looks ike a perfect shot at the moment of impact isn't so perfect. I shot my Australian red stag last year with a second arrow when he stopped at 45 yards. First shot looked good but he was moving when I swung and shot, and the arrow passed through quickly. Turned out that second shot saved us a lot of tracking. My Aussie friend who was filming was all geeked up, exclaiming, "You shot him TWICE, mate!! Nobody shoots one twice! And with a recurve! This is going to be a classic!". I told him I ALWAYS automatically have another arrow on the string, just in case.

Unfortunately, he was using a new camera that day and somehow didn't get any of the footage... So no Open Country TV for me with my double-shot....
Jaquomo

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 26, 2013 •  [Post 28]

Look what the cats drug in! wELKome to the site Lou.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Jaquomo » 02 26, 2013 •  [Post 29]

Hi Bill - As I mentioned on the lurkers thread, I do stop by here to see how you nice folks are doing. I'll make it a point to annoy you more often!
Jaquomo

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 26, 2013 •  [Post 30]

Please do! I always enjoy your thoughts and comments.
>>>---WW---->

Second Arrow?

Postby Herb » 02 26, 2013 •  [Post 31]

Getting this bull down got a little crazy, and ended with a empty quiver.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361918079.165883.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361918079.165883.jpg (36.7 KiB) Viewed 8190 times
Herb

Location: The Corner of Nebraska that is Too Far from Colorado
First Name: S
Last Name: Herb

Postby scrubs » 02 26, 2013 •  [Post 32]

My SOP for that is, whenever good shots are possible, keep ventilating them (deer and elk both) until they hit the ground......
scrubs

First Name: Brett

Postby JJ Overkill » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 33]

i have yet to shot an elk but i have put two arrows into a whitetail. there is a reason i practice out to 90yds. no my first shot wont be at 90yds but if i have a wounded elk standing a 80yds id send a second arrow into him.
JJ Overkill

First Name: jeremy