Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Planning first elk hunt.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Planning first elk hunt.

Postby archerynut611 » 02 26, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Hello all, I am new to this, and me and a friend are trying to plan our 1st elk hunt. We want to do it with are bows. Any input that you experienced elk hunters can offer would be a huge help.
Do we use an outfitter or do it ourselves?
What calls use?
Where to go?( we are thinking about Colorado)
Again, any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Henry
archerynut611

First Name: Henry
Last Name: Whipple

Re: Planning first elk hunt.

Postby FemoralArchery » 02 26, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Here are a few more questions for you.

Where are you from?

Do you plan on driving or flying/renting?

What kind of budget do you have?

How much time will you have to hunt?
FemoralArchery

First Name: Adam

Postby otcWill » 02 26, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Pretty general question. Here's a general answer: DIY, diaphrams, Wyoming. Good luck! :D
otcWill

Postby archerynut611 » 02 26, 2013 •  [Post 4]

We are from NH and at this time we are thinking about driving. We will both have about 10 days. If we can swing this for 4000.00 or less that would be great.
archerynut611

Postby archerynut611 » 02 26, 2013 •  [Post 5]

otcWill wrote:Pretty general question. Here's a general answer: DIY, diaphrams, Wyoming. Good luck! :D
Its a pretty general question because I have never elk hunted before so Im looking for input from experienced elk hunters that will help me make sure I covering everything.
archerynut611

Postby Moose-head » 02 26, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I'm not sucking up or anything :oops: ;) but the first step that I recommend to anybody who asks me about elk hunting is the elknut videos.
Moose-head

First Name: Dana

Postby msd1228 » 02 26, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Moose-head wrote:I'm not sucking up or anything :oops: ;) but the first step that I recommend to anybody who asks me about elk hunting is the elknut videos.

Could not agree more - can't imagine where my calling and hunting would be if I never came across them.
msd1228

First Name: Shane

Postby cnelk » 02 26, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I recently posted this on another site for 'newbees'

I will rank my top 10 items of importance:
1- Wind. If there is no wind, there is always thermals. Use them accordingly

2- Calls. Learn all about them and what you are saying when you use one

3- Hunt soft. You can even hunt a small tract of area for several days if you hunt it soft. Its like a new deck shuffle each and every day.

4- Early morning is better than evening. You dont have darkness against you.

5- Senses. Listening for elk sounds. Some are very faint. Eyesight. I have seen many elk before they see me while easing thru the timber. Smell. You can smell elk long before you see them.

6- Fitness. Be in shape. Some may rank this higher but it all depends on your terrain and how you hunt.

7- Adaptability. You must be willing to change, regardless of the conditions.

8- Predict your shot opportunity. Many times shots are not taken because of not being ready for that small window of a shot.

9- Mental toughness. You must be able to overcome many obstacles and hurdles during the hunt. They will always be there.

10- Success. This is measured is different ways. Some HAVE to harvest an elk to be successful. Others dont. Be prepared to measure yours.

I hope this is helpful... just my .02
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 26, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Geez, where to start.. Oh yeah, get Elknut's DVDs, "Sounds by the Elk" CD to listen to in your truck, and the playbook. You can get the whole package for less than a dozen arrows! All are worth their weight in gold and will put you ahead of the curve for certain. A few other thoughts. I would recommend a DIY hunt, especially since you've got a partner to go in. Drop and guided hunts are expensive and are a bit of a different experience (not saying they're bad at all) but just a bit different. How cool would that be for you and your buddy to pick a target state, do the research and select an area, work on your calling "together", pour over maps all summer long, get in great shape, shoot your bows all summer, and go kill an elk! Let us know what you ultimately decide. Would really like hear what you decide and how your preparation is going.. Best of luck on whatever you decide.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 26, 2013 •  [Post 10]

cnelk wrote:I recently posted this on another site for 'newbees'

I will rank my top 10 items of importance:
1- Wind. If there is no wind, there is always thermals. Use them accordingly

2- Calls. Learn all about them and what you are saying when you use one

3- Hunt soft. You can even hunt a small tract of area for several days if you hunt it soft. Its like a new deck shuffle each and every day.

4- Early morning is better than evening. You dont have darkness against you.

5- Senses. Listening for elk sounds. Some are very faint. Eyesight. I have seen many elk before they see me while easing thru the timber. Smell. You can smell elk long before you see them.

6- Fitness. Be in shape. Some may rank this higher but it all depends on your terrain and how you hunt.

7- Adaptability. You must be willing to change, regardless of the conditions.

8- Predict your shot opportunity. Many times shots are not taken because of not being ready for that small window of a shot.

9- Mental toughness. You must be able to overcome many obstacles and hurdles during the hunt. They will always be there.

10- Success. This is measured is different ways. Some HAVE to harvest an elk to be successful. Others dont. Be prepared to measure yours.

I hope this is helpful... just my .02

Nicely put cnelk. They should print this on the back of elk tags for field reference.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 02 26, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Henry, Here is how I see things:

You have 10 day vacation. Even with a second driver you have 2 days of hard driving to get to a decent elk hunting area, and 2 days to return. That leaves you just 6 days to locate, set up and break camp, locate elk in an unfamiliar area, and get er done. I agree with learning everything you can about hunting elk including reading, watching DVDs, etc., but remember there is no substitute for experience and familiarity with the country you plan to hunt, and the elk you are after. Many elk units have a 10%-15% success rate. Half of the elk are going to go to those who have proven experience in getting elk in their hunting area.
I do not at all want to discourage you from hunting elk. Far from it, but realistically you will be far ahead to use an outfitter. If you consider it as an investment in learning and in a respectable chance to get an elk, I believe that is the best option for you. I would advise you to spend your time getting in shape, shooting your bow, and learning elk, but hire a good outfitter. Good Luck
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Sean D. » 02 26, 2013 •  [Post 12]

I agree with swede 100%! Especially if you only have 6 hunting days. Go on an outfitted hunt or 2 with a reputable outfitter and pay attention to everything. You will learn things to do and possibly not to do! Ask alot of questions! Then If you can get a little more time do your research and plan a DIY hunt
Sean D.

First Name: Sean
Last Name: D

Postby mongopino915 » 02 26, 2013 •  [Post 13]

There is a very good icon "Elknut Tips" located above. Click on it and learn all tactics.

This has been my experience with elk archery hunting. Just go into elk wood, make as many mistakes as you can, and you will learn really fast in about 5 years.

But if you want to skip years of learning and avoid the many mistakes then check out Elknuts's DVDs.

In all honesty, if you do not know the terrain well (i.e. elk water holes, trails, travel routes, feeding areas, bedding areas, etc.), your best option is to learn elk calling and use it to hopefully bring elk into bow range. Elk calling is an art and requires lots of practice. I truly believe that the more realistic and elk like you sound (both in tone and volume), the more elk you will fool in the wood. Listen to the real elk (both cow and bull) and learn to imitate their sounds exactly. Good Luck.
mongopino915

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 26, 2013 •  [Post 14]

I understand the "lean" towards an outfitter for a first elk hunt to perhaps, maximize a chance at experiencing a screaming bull but on a 4K budget between the two (that's the way I interpret it), that probably isn't happening. Ten days is tight for sure but is it ten work days? If that is the case (ten work days), the guys would leave after work on Friday, drive like madmen (stopping for food, bathroom breaks, and gas only.. taking turns driving), and get to CO or even MT or ID Sunday. Hunt 11 or so days, pick up the frozen meat at the local wild game processor, and hit the road back to NH. I'm just a big fan of planning everything yourself and experiencing wapiti on your own dime and effort. Elknut DVDs, sounds of the elk CD, playbook... less than the price of a dozen arrows (as I mentioned, will put folks well ahead of the game); tags (I think MT is the most expensive right now) that eats up half their budget; gas, camp chow, bourbon (sorry, couldn't resist), etc. A DIY hunt would and could work for these young cats.. Hell, I'll give em a place in NW MT where they'll get into elk.. no charge but they need to be in the best shape of their lives or the wolves may eat them as they pant on an alder choked hillside :).. just teasing about the last one.. Wolves don't eat elk hunters. RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby buglmin » 02 26, 2013 •  [Post 15]

lol...youre in a tough spot. Elk hunting is a tough sport, and besides skill, you need lots of luck. If the elk numbers were high, then you might have a chance in killing an elk, but the elk numbers are down, hunter numbers are high, and the success rate is real low for lots of GMU in Colorado.
Add in the fact that you've never hunted elk, cant make trips to scout, and in reality, something you have to face, is it might take you several years to kill an elk. These days, everyone is into the DIY thing, which is easy to offer advice, but they aint the ones spending $4000.00...my advice, talk to several outfitters, look into the drop camp options. At least with a drop camp, you'll be in elk country, and the outfitter will tell you where to hunt, will show you water holes and springs on a map. and offer sound advice.
buglmin

Postby FemoralArchery » 02 26, 2013 •  [Post 16]

I'm with Phantom. Go DIY. You have 6 months between now and elk season to prepare.

I'd try like hell to swing 2 weeks off work.

If this is something you plan on doing every year, or every other year, or every 3 years, then do it all yourself.

Personally, I'll never use a guide until I get to the point in my life that I can afford and want to hunt somewhere that requires it, like Canada or Africa.

I have made a few friends in other states, and I'd be happy to let them show me around, based on a swap hunt type of deal.

I am willing to bet a steak dinner that there is someone from every western state on this forum that would point you towards a decent place to hunt.

If this is a once or twice in a lifetime event, hire a guide.
FemoralArchery

First Name: Adam

Postby cnelk » 02 27, 2013 •  [Post 17]

I have never hired a guide in my life. And I have hunted a lot of places and a lot of things.
Do your homework, build that confidence and go hunt.
Nothing better that that DIY sense of accomplishment.

Im not sure what style of hunting you are wanting to do.
Hike up to timberline and set up a small camp? Base camp from truck?
Do you have tents? Camper? ATVs? Dirtbike? Mtn bikes? Horses?

Let us know what your 'vision' is... As FemoralArchery mentioned, some guys may have a few spots that just may work for you.
Me included.
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby otcWill » 02 27, 2013 •  [Post 18]

Totally agree with cnelk. Definitely go diy. Narrow it down at least to a general area or unit and repost your question with a little more specifics and I'm sure you'll get some help. You are amongst some of the best die hard bowhunters on the planet here and probably some of the most generous and giving folks when it comes to helping others succeed. Sorry if my response seemed less than helpful but you've got to help us help you. Give us some more info and I'm sure someone will set you on the path to success.
otcWill

Postby Indian Summer » 02 27, 2013 •  [Post 19]

Is that 10 days total or 10 working days off?

A couple things. First... Phantom all outfitters don't have to cost a fortune. It depends on what you want or need from us.

A drop camp is basically DIY & will put you in good elk country with a solid camp and maps/knowledge from someone with years of experience in that area & a mid week check to pack elk AND keep you on track with a plan B if needed. That saves you tons of time... and some of the research. You will still be grilling maps and asking questions about locating and hunting elk. But you'll be light years ahead of the game.

0ur outfitted DIY hunts go a step further in saving you time and helping you kill elk. We provide all the meals. More importantly we guide you for 1 day. During that day we familarize hunters with the area... and give rookies a hands on crash course in elk hunting. That's huge for anyone new to the area & especially to a new elk hunter. You might even kill your bull that day and spend the rest of the week "hunting" for more experience with your calls, binos, & camera. 0n top of that you're in the same camp as guided hunters which means we are there reviewing your day and helping you on the maps with the next day's gameplan.

You'll save some bucks just becuse you don't have to buy as much gear for your 1st hunt. If you have no gear you're going to burn some cash on that before you even think about a license and gas money etc. While learning with us you can see what we do, ask questions, and decide what it is you really need for your future hunts on your own.

ALS0... with either of these hunts if you guys kill a bull your partner (or you) can get right back to hunting instead of packing elk and losing two days or more of hunting. Two greenhorns killing a bull mid week can likely mean the end of the hunting for both of them.

I have no idea why everyone says "our first idea is to try Colorado" Shortest drive I guess & the whole world knows they have 0TC licenses. The whole world! Read Buglemin's post. There is great hunting in C0, especially in draw units... but it is, or can be the Wal Mart of elk hunting with lots of hunters... and lots of 4 wheelers etc. Hard to learn and have fun with that going on. Guys can learn more of what not to do under those circumstances. Many sad stories come from new DIY hunters in C0. Just sayin'

0ne more thing: As an outfitter/guide I feel I'm also a teacher. Maybe that's just me. Your hunt doesn't end at the end of the week. We know so many places to hunt that we don't guide in it's not even funny. If my hunters decide they don't even want or need a drop camp I'll be glad to show them a spot to call their own in the future. Maybe even pack your pre shipped gear in there for you.

DIY is the goal. But a solid foundation is a good idea. In a way for a 1st timer an outfitted hunt is an investment. Like an education. In elk hunting you can't always skip the class and just take the test. Well... you could but that money could be gone with the wind if you don't pull off a DIY hunt the right way.

A quick story:
4 guys walked up to me at the Harrisburg Pa outdoor show. They said they had been hunting Colorado for 3 years on their own. They had to relocate a couple times and said they hadn't killed a single elk yet. Not so unusual. But they felt that they had learned enough now to get the job done. BUT... they also said that's what scared them. ha ha They said they also learned enough to know that if they did kill one it opened up a whole other can of worms. They had been in some hell holes where they could barely get themselves out. They knew the 4 of them could get it out but not so sure they wanted to. They said they'd rather watch me ride off into the sunset headed for the meat processor while they got right back to their hotspot. Lots to be said for that. A very common scenario for an eastern elk hunter.

Guess what... I'm a client too. This year I'm paying an outfitter just to pack my gear in & out. I know more than most and I think I'm even wiser than that outfitter.... but I know what I need to achieve my goal. It's my 1st time in that particular area. Next year I probably won't need him. Think about that for a minute...

I'm not just an outfitter... I'm a DIY support crew! And proud of it :D

Phantom.... eventually I bet I'll give you a different outlook on outfitters... then again I think I'm the only one who thinks like I do.... DIY baby!!!

I could point him to some NW Montana spots too. Trout Creek/Noxon/Bull River area. Even my trips up there are limited and carefully planned though. I look at it as a hunt for big bulls only knowing I may not see a thing. Thick thick. As you know that isn't the best rookie country. Griz country too depending on what neck of the woods you're in.

Archerynut... Help us help you. Feel free to fire away with any other questins. Try to give us as much info on you and your trip/goals as you can.

Click on my Indian Summer 0utfitters banner at the top for more info if you want.

Good luck pilgrim!

And welcome

Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby archerynut611 » 02 27, 2013 •  [Post 20]

Thanks a great deal to everyone here. I am going to sit down with my friend and figure out just what kind of hunt we want to do and what we want to get out of it. After that I will be back to gather more info. Thanks everyone.
Can some one please tell me where I can get these elknut dvds?
Thanks
Henry
archerynut611

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 27, 2013 •  [Post 21]

archerynut611 wrote:Thanks a great deal to everyone here. I am going to sit down with my friend and figure out just what kind of hunt we want to do and what we want to get out of it. After that I will be back to gather more info. Thanks everyone.
Can some one please tell me where I can get these elknut dvds?
Thanks
Henry

It's on the Elknut home page. Here's a link. Best of luck to you in whatever you decide.

http://stores.elknut.com/Categories.bok ... y=PACKAGES
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 02 27, 2013 •  [Post 22]

Archerynut611, you have a lot of advice on how to hunt, but ultimately it is your money and your time that is involved. Therefore it is your decision to make. Remember to let us know after your hunt, how it went, and what you learned. Whatever you choose, I am satisfied you will find bow hunting elk to be a phenomenal experience. Best wishes.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby pointysticks » 02 27, 2013 •  [Post 23]

swing for the fences and start putting in for unit 36 and 34 in New Mexico!! good luck.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Broken arrow » 03 01, 2013 •  [Post 24]

I to am going on my first elk hunt come Sept bivy/spike camp solo. It has been a 1 1/2 years in the planning. I read live breath anything I can about elk from the Co Dow googled elk on the net to read stuff written by biologist on elk and their habits this forum and others. (Failure is not in my vocabulary) I was lucky enough or dedicated enough that last May I took the most expensive scouting/camping trip just so I could get some boot leather on the ground and learn what I could in 2- 2 1/2 days in my area. Well worth every penny!!!! The mountains are not anything like Missouri and a mile here is a walk in the park that takes 15 min but in the mountains it can take an hour or more. (Food for thought) Just tonight I was trying to ask about where are the towels I saw folded and I asked " where are the maps?" :lol: If you can afford it or want to go with a drop camp/outfitter I say go for it!!!! If you are like me DIY is the only way! The hard way I shoot traditional to boot. After my first trip including gear scouting tags etc. I'll have $4000 in this one hunt. Just going is worth every dime! If I don't come home with meat it will not be from lack of preparation on my part. It will also be successful because I did what most around here see as just plan insane!!!! The mountains are the most amazing thing I have seen and walked in and I have been to Mexico! Real Mexico with armed military check points not a resort. That was an adventure! My Spanish is pretty good but that was some scare stuff!!!! Anyway long story short.... Study learn prepare and have fun! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! And you can't take $$$$ with you when you die!
Broken arrow

Postby Indian Summer » 03 02, 2013 •  [Post 25]

Broken... I think I know what you're talking about. :D
Attachments
Muir.jpg
Muir.jpg (136.14 KiB) Viewed 6518 times
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro