Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

wolves and elk calls

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

wolves and elk calls

Postby ctdad » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I'm going to be hunting in wolf country for the first time this fall. Have any of you noticed any difference in the amount of calling elk will do on their own due to wolves? Are the elk more likely to come in silent when you are calling due to the wolves?
ctdad

Re: wolves and elk calls

Postby flystrait » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I have hunted in some of the worst reported areas for wolves in Idaho. The results I am seeing is there are less elk every year, but we call alot and when we find a bull they can be very vocal. It's when the wolves are in the same general area raising hell that we find the elk move out of there very quickly and are very quite for a couple of days. Be prepared to move around alot. Sometimes several miles if need be. If we even hear a wolf in a drainage we just beat feet out of there and try another area, even if its first thing in the morning we will just burn most of the day relocating. Just my two cents. Good luck this year and don't forget to take a camera so you can post your picts here.

CK
flystrait

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I hunted my old stomping grounds in NW MT two years ago. I hadn't been back there since the wolves established themselves pretty thick. Yes, the bugling terrain, as it were, had changed. In the two weeks I hunted, I actually received more answers to my location bugles at night from wolves than from elk (these are arreas that are alder choked, where many hunters won't venture, where I used to hear 5 to 10 bulls cursing back my way on any given starry night). When a bull did answer, he shut up quickly if a wolf howled on the adjacent hillside. As flystrait mentioned, if I heard a wolf in a drainage, I would not hunt there for obvious reasons. Think about it, wolves are hungry and will prey on elk, that's what they do (can't really blame them, elk taste good). On a side note, I noticed that on every old pack trail I hunted (MT is full of them on every ridge), there was wolf crap laden with mostly mule deer hair. And, I didn't see many mule deer which used to be like lemmings (sp) there. Yes sir, I believe wolf presence changes the way elk vocalize. If I were a wolf, I would certainly key in on an elk chatting away.. Dine in! Woo hoo..
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Freebird134 » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Phantom16 wrote: I actually received more answers to my location bugles at night from wolves than from elk

Hmmm.... What's this say about your calling Rory? You sure you aren't howling instead of buglin'? :)
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Freebird134 wrote:
Phantom16 wrote: I actually received more answers to my location bugles at night from wolves than from elk

Hmmm.... What's this say about your calling Rory? You sure you aren't howling instead of buglin'? :)

I hope Carlos Santana stops into your next gig and asks you if he can "jump in" for a minute.... :shock: .... :D
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Freebird134 » 03 04, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Phantom16 wrote:
Freebird134 wrote:

I hope Carlos Santana stops into your next gig and asks you if he can "jump in" for a minute.... :shock: .... :D

Yeah. Me too! ;)
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

wolves and elk calls

Postby mtelkkiller » 03 04, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Yes. If you call elk in my now ex area the elk go the other way. I have gotten really close to wolves in the past two years. I am buying a wolf tag every year for now on.
mtelkkiller

First Name: John
Last Name: Weiss