Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Ground blinds

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Ground blinds

Postby JGH » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 1]

While hunting last year, I found several spots where I'd like to take a stand and wait for elk during the mid-day hours.

Several ... and they are miles and miles away from roads. I'm wondering about constructing some ground blinds prior to the season, and if anyone here has experience with that.

The spots are either wallows or trails which narrow around natural features like rock faces.

With a series of ground blinds pre-planned, and perhaps pre-built, all I'd need to carry would be a small chair of some sort, and even that would be optional. A particular spot could be chosen on a day-to-day basis depending on wind, animal sightings, sign, etc.

Construction during the summer would be a welcome task, and a reason to get some camping done, test other gear, etc.

BUT ... I'm not so sure how useful ground blinds are. Scent is an issue, of course.

Any experience out there?
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Re: Ground blinds

Postby Swede » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Ground blinds are great in some places. You still have to deal with the wind, including down drafts. In your situation I think I would make up some ground binds, but instead of a chair, I would pack in one tree stand and some steps, for those times when the wind is not cooperating.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby JGH » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 3]

The reason I noted "chair" was that a chair is one of the luxuries of camp that I hate to do without, so the chair is making the trip to camp regardless.

Camp is generally lightweight, but still packed on horses, to accommodate certain luxuries like chairs. If I'm going to be there for a week, at some point I'm going to want to sit and relax like a civilized person.

But I have given thought to other options:

1. I have a climbing treestand I could take -- but the thing is big, bulky, and heavy. Although I have looked in the Lone Wolf direction, I'm trying to stick to a spending-freeze this year. (I'm thinking that if I can't kill an elk with the stuff I already have, then one more "thing" isn't going to get it done. I've got great gear -- just not a great treestand.) That said, my one-and-only archery elk was shot from that stand.

2. I've thought about that Guido's Web thing, but it violates my spending-freeze principle. It may be worth it, as it would truly open up areas that were heretofore unreachable.
JGH

Postby JGH » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I should note, too, that the various wallows, etc., that have been identified may be up to a mile from camp in different directions, so dragging a single treestand around might become somewhat of a burden -- enough that it might not get done.

For instance, if the ground blind was already built, a hunter finding himself on that side of the mountain and needing a break could just go there to sit. But if he gets in to elk earlier that morning, he's not carrying around a treestand trying to dog them back to their bedding area.

Also, I should clarify: By "GROUND BLIND" I mean a blind made of forest debris, not a full-fledged pop-up blind.

I should've been more clear about that in my first post.
JGH

Postby Swede » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 5]

John I see you are new here. Welcome to the forum. It is good to have you here. I am sure you will pick up a lot of great information. I understand the need to keep down expences. Elk hunting can be very expensive if you are not careful. You need to set your priorities. For me a good tree stand would be a top priority. Maybe you can get a side job for a day or two and work in a good stand. A good hang-on stand is as much of an investment as a good tent or pack. Good Luck
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby JGH » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Thanks for the replies, Swede.

By the way, you wrote "Treestand Hunting for Elk", right? Good book.

It's not an expense-thing. It's stubbornness! I could afford a few Lone Wolf's.

But ... I have become a bit of a gear-junkie, and like being any other kind of a junkie, at some point you have to say "enough". (I'm 10 pounds up from last elk season, too. I can afford the food, but I don't need the food!) Trigger discipline on the credit card is important!

But even that isn't the real point. The point is that I like to look for bugling bulls in the mornings, and then if there was a pre-set stand here or there, it could eliminate the "go-back-to-camp"-urge of late morning, without the burden of carrying a stand around.

Oh, I could take some stands in during the summer -- but some of this is wilderness we're talking about, so there are rules about caching gear. Rules that say "That's against the Rules." I think making debris blinds would be within the rules, or at least gathering the materials for such a "structure".

But as I read your thoughts, I'm hearing one thing pretty clear: Elevation is a critical factor in your mind.

Maybe I'm not on the right track thinking about being on the ground.
JGH

Postby Lefty » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 7]

AAAHHHg I just lost what I was going to post 'I'll fix the post later.
The upright OSB is the blind
Pic of 5 bulls 30-40 yards out
pic of our goose pit,.. I can hide
Attachments
bth_IMG_1956Small[1].jpg
bth_IMG_1956Small[1].jpg (17.76 KiB) Viewed 5087 times
bth_elkatblindSmall[1].jpg
bth_elkatblindSmall[1].jpg (7.52 KiB) Viewed 5087 times
bth_snowlidonblindSmall[1].jpg
bth_snowlidonblindSmall[1].jpg (10.43 KiB) Viewed 5087 times
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby ORelksniper » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 8]

These are my thoughts, for what it's worth. In the right location tree stands are awesome...and deadly effective. I can't do 'em anymore, though. A mishap years ago scared the crap out of me and haven't been in one since. So, I build ground blinds anywhere a tree stand would be appropriate. Using the debris on the forest floor I throw together just enough to hide behind or cover my back...whatever is needed. That being said, no matter how much concealment your blind gives you, if the wind isn't right you wasting your time. I have little hidey holes I don't get to use the entire season because the wind never cooperates. When the wind is right, though, I do like to spend the afternoon or evening tucked away in my debris shack pondering the meaning of life.
ORelksniper

Postby Lefty » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Ive have changed my tactics, and this tank hasn't had water for the last three years but it works
Attachments
2009-08-22 18-58-07 (Small).JPG
First blind set it out it was 98 degrees
2009-08-22 18-58-07 (Small).JPG (58.2 KiB) Viewed 5062 times
2009-09-11 18-09-17 (Small).JPG
the water I was hunting over
Sitting in this blind the first year a total of 6 evenings and 4 mornings
I saw 2 bulls bugling in the distance twice, heard bulls bulling one other evening under 600 yards
Saw herds in the distances ( I didn't know I was suppose to follow them) 3 times
I could have reached out and touched cows and calves one evening
2009-09-11 18-09-17 (Small).JPG (74.82 KiB) Viewed 5062 times
2009-09-11 18-08-48 (Small).JPG
camera pointing down out the front window
2009-09-11 18-08-48 (Small).JPG (78.98 KiB) Viewed 5062 times
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 10]

This was a set up this year. You only get to see this because I plan to never hunt there again. I got some great trail cam pictures a nice 6x6 bull with cows
Two Saturdays in a row elk came to the water between 11:00 and 2:00,.. while I was gone

I fixed the tank,.. it was cracked in the bottom.
Even with the nasty smell of epoxie the elk were on it in 3 days
Ive made changes to the blind over the years

This particular day someone messed and deleted pictures of the elk while I was away hunting
the trail cam is 12 yards from the water the blind is 14 yards. interesting the elk stroll right in with the big box
Next year I plan to start watering the elk with my own water tank system
Attachments
2012-09-08 05-54-18 (Small).JPG
2012-09-08 05-54-18 (Small).JPG (79.94 KiB) Viewed 5057 times
2012-09-08 06-03-15 (Small).JPG
screen to keep out bugs
2012-09-08 06-03-15 (Small).JPG (40.75 KiB) Viewed 5057 times
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 11]

This blind was originally made from scrap OSB
Easy to make, and likely to heavy to steal.
It takes 8-10 minutes to set up, 5 minutes to take down alone
7 sheets of OSB, My current blind is 5h x 6w x 5l My next one will be 6x6 for two people still 5 high
Windows, shooting holes need to be on each side, use a window instead of cutting a door I would use dark plexi-glass for the slider windows
I also place tent bug screen over the windows I don’t expect to shoot from, don’t use heavy military or window screen
Place all your screw ledgers on two sides I use 1 ½ x 1 ½
Paint all the insides black
I use outdoor carpet on the inside
I would place Ozonics on the inside and Zolite better and cheaper than carbon

This is the first year. A bow hook is nice, there are now 4 windows, one on each side, the smallest window is the pic with the bees
Attachments
2009-09-03 17-40-28 (Small) (2).JPG
2009-09-03 17-40-28 (Small) (2).JPG (52.9 KiB) Viewed 5051 times
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 12]

sniper wrote:These are my thoughts, for what it's worth. In the right location tree stands are awesome...and deadly effective.I can't do 'em anymore, though. ,....... evening tucked away in my debris shack pondering the meaning of life.

My hip is being replaced in June, and there arent many trees :o . I did have a number of debris blinds buildt the first year I had one evening hunt where the temp was under 92 degrees when I walked in. But some nights the bugs were terrible. I abandoned the debris blinds for the comfort of a hot box
I can move around all I want in a box blind
Lefty

Postby Vanish » 03 04, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Have yet to take a shot out of one, but here is my wife in one of two blinds we built last year. Sat in them 4 total evenings and had 2 elk encounters and 3 moose encounters. I could definitely have had a shot on a cow elk last year if I was thinking.

Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby JGH » 03 04, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Vanish ... good name. I saw the eye looking back, but it took a second.

That's the kind of blind I'm talking about -- a DEBRIS blind.

Any other experiences?
JGH

Postby elkmtngear » 03 05, 2013 •  [Post 15]

One of our elknut members (who has recently surfaced from the depths of his lurkishness) uses natural blinds in combination with the SLIP System, outfitted with various camo or decoy covers depending upon if he needs to move or advance.

It can give you a little more flexibility in case you have to move, or go mobile....carry an assortment of covers if desired (moo cow decoy, elk decoy, or Open Country Camo as pictured).
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor