Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Honestly?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Honestly?

Postby archerynut611 » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 1]

As you all know, I am new to this site and I am trying to plan my 1st elk hunt.
I need some honest feedback on this question.
Is it realistic for a couple guys that have never hunted elk to try to plan a DIY hunt for their 1st hunt with only 14 days to do it?
We like the idea of doing it ourselves but we are not sure how realistic that is with only 14 days. Taking into consideration that 4 of those days with be driving to and from NH to Co. To be honest, I am feeling a bit over whelmed with all the stuff you have to think about and plan.lol. Never realized there was this much to it until I started digging into it.
Thanks
Henry
archerynut611

First Name: Henry
Last Name: Whipple

Re: Honestly?

Postby Freebird134 » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Of course it is feasible to do ! I wouldn't expect 100% success for all of you, but few people pull that off anyway. Go for the experience, go for the camaraderie, and go for the education. Then go back again! :)
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby otcWill » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Very well-stated, Freebird! You gotta start somewhere
otcWill

Postby welka » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Very doable. Go to the home page for Elknut and order the DVDs and the Playbook. Scour GE where you plan to hunt and scour this and other websites to soak up as much as you can. You will make plenty of mistakes, I know we did in the beginning. Good luck
welka

Postby Swede » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 5]

What you are trying to accomplish is a tough proposition, but you have to start somewhere. You have a chance the first time out. If you read and study everything you can, your chances improve, but ultimately you will need some luck also. Over time, as you gain experience, and are able to see first hand the things you have heard or read about, your chances improve. When you get to know your hunting area better, your chances improve. I started hunting over 50 years ago. I first elk hunted in the area I hunt now over 40 years ago. It still is not easy. Hang in there and persevere. It is a great feeling when you get to the place where you know you have the skill and knowledge to get er done, and all you need is for things to come together. Never lose sight of the fact, that the journey is great too. Good luck.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby ironhead22 » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I'm in the same boat as you archerynut, i am confident that with all the homework im doing and help from the fine folks here that out of the 3 of us going one or more of us will have success. With all the resources we have available to us there's no reason to not feel good about it.
ironhead22

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Thompson

Postby Swede » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Newbe friends: I do not want to be a dark cloud over your parade. I want you to fully experience elk hunting year after year, but let me warn you against unrealistic expectations. I know it is possible to roll out of your sleeping bag on opening morning, look out of your tent, pick up you weapon and shoot a huge bull. My concern is that unrealistic expectations will lead to frustration and giving up. Unrealistic expectations cause many hunters to quit. Year after year people from my camp and others go home early, saying there are no elk around. Some say they will come back later in the season, but almost none do. These same people were full of excitement the day before the season opened. They were shooting their bows, and saying where they would be hunting opening day. Some of these people left for home after just three days of hunting, and many more after only five. Why? It was mostly unrealistic expectations which led to disappointment and then failure.
Even if you get your elk on the first morning, stay the whole amount of time and continue to hunt hard as if everything depended on what you do for the next hour. Continue to experiment and learn. Let me encourage you to get in the game and prepare for the long haul. I know it is hard to believe, but a spike taken on the eve of your last day of a hard hunt, where you gave it everything you have, is a greater trophy than the 350 bull, shot when you just got out of your sleeping bag on the first morning.
Swede

Postby FemoralArchery » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 8]

You have to decide what is going to make your trip successful.

Do you have to kill something to be successful? If the answer is yes, you may have a very difficult time.

If the answer is no, you will have a great trip. If you are going because you love to hunt(not based on killing), you want to experience something new, new country, new animals, then you will be successful.

I've been hunting the same area for 14 years. I have been archery hunting for 3. I've seen and been within range of elk every year. I have not killed one with a bow, due to my own mistakes (missing for one) and I still look back at elk season as my favorite time of year, even though in some people's eyes, it was "unsuccessful".
FemoralArchery

First Name: Adam

Postby ORelksniper » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Archerynut, are you kidding me? First of all, NH to CO is an adventure in itself. Get a good topo of the area you plan to hunt. Get on GE and really get a feel for the land. Study, study, study everything you can about elk. Ask questions here and learn what you can. Put together your gear for the type of camping you plan to do and then...hit the road. Ten days in the mountains will enrich your soul and leave you wanting more.
ORelksniper

Postby bnsafe » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 10]

archery, i did it last year. you can do it. its overwhelming for sure, dont plan on the kill but the experience. the kill is extra.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby Indian Summer » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Swede that might be one of your best posts ever. All of the sudden I want to hunt with you. (grin)

You have plenty of time. That's not the question. As Swede & Femoral said... it's all in what you expect to accomplish on your first hunt. Get that right and you'll have no regrets. Like Swede said.. it's hard to imagine but some new elk hunters do have regrets. It's not for everyone. Like Tough Mudder. ha ha

Since I know so many people... including the lurkers ask themselves the same thing over and over trying to decide what they want, what they can afford, and asking themselves: What are my goals..... Honestly? Isn't that the real question?

Let me try to put it in a perspective that will hopefully help you all make decisions that are best for you.

If I was from somewhere that didn't have whitetails but I wanted to hunt them what should I do? Well first I'd need to decide if I actually wanted to become a deer hunter, or if I just wanted to kill one.

If it was a 1 time deal and my goal was to kill a buck I bet you'd all suggest an outfitter. But if I wanted to do it myself I'd be online asking people with experience "can I do this" for starters. Answer would most likely be yes or probably. I'd also be trying to answer that question for myself by trying to learn about what I was getting into.... even if it was a one time deal. Like everyone on here that's just my nature.

What if I asked you if you were able to walk out the door and kill bucks consistently where you live? You'd say well hunting is hunting.You might say I've been at it for a long time but I still need my share of luck. I don't always kill a huge buck. Sometimes it's tough to kill a doe.

Remember I'd be asking with the understanding that I wasn't able to scout the place.... and it's public. So that would lead me to learn how to look at maps and arial photos. A little common sense would have me thinking about where they bedded and fed right. I'd be learning about the rutting details of the species... which would lead to learning to call. And so on.

Then the where comes in. So I'd be asking about that. Everyone would tell me a different place to consider. lol Then I'd narrow it down, pick a general spot, and look for someone with knowledge of that particular area. At that point I work out the details of where I'm going to eat and sleep and what my plans A, B, & C are.

So... after all my homework what can you all tell me I should expect? What do you expect in your deer area every year? Do you kill a buck every year? Should I shoot the first buck I can... or does that mean I could go home empty handed? Maybe you'd just say "Dude.... it is a never ending learning experience"... "Climb up a tree and pay attention"

I might kill a deer and if I did it would likely be about 10% preparation, 10% skill, and the rest luck right. And then ..... I'd work to change those number to 10% luck and the rest skill & preparation. On my first DIY hunt I should not expect to kill a buck right? I could hope to, nothing wrong with that. Then work on changing that to where maybe I can expect to. I'm sure you'd all agree that's a pretty realistic statement for a new deer hunter and the same goes for elk.

Experience is the only road to success. That's why I'd like to sit around a fire with ol' Swede sometime. All the forums and dvd's in the world aren't going to replace experience..... hours up a tree stand/years in the mountains..... learning from mistakes.

Back to your question "Is it realistic for a couple guys that have never hunted elk to try to plan a DIY hunt for their 1st hunt with only 14 days to do it?" [10 days to hunt]

Heck yeah! You have plenty of time to hike up into elk country, set up a camp, maybe relocate once, learn some things about travelling and living in the mountains, & have some hopes of getting an opportunity to take a shaky handed shot at your first bull elk. It could happen just like I could go up a tree and have a shooter deer walk by. Actually & I think Swede might agree, 10 days of hunting is just about right for a 1st timer. Don't want to frustrate or burn yourself out. That is honestly the best answer I can give you.

I have a question for ALL elk hunters here: Did you or your partners kill an elk on your first hunt? My answer: No. 3 of us were skunked. One never hunted elk again. That was in 1986. The other two are currently attending the Betty Ford Center for long term addictions. :D
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby MTLongdraw » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 12]

I wish I had ten days to hunt. ;)
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty

Postby archerynut611 » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Thank you all for your input. And here is my idea of a successful hunt.
I will start by saying, I have no expectations of killing an elk on my 1st trip or any of the trips I may go on after. I have always wanted to experience elk hunting and to hear the bugle if an elk 1st hand. If I drive from NH to CO or anywhere else in elk country and have a good time with some close friends and hear an elk bugle then to me my trip was successful. Whether I am turkey hunting or whitetail hunting, it is never about the killing to me. I love to bow! and thats what its all about to me, just being in the woods doing what I am passionate about. I love the challenge, and the challenge of hiking into the wilderness into elk country, hearing an elk bugle and learning what I can to apply it to my next hunt. That is my idea of a successful hunt. If I was to take an elk then to me that would just be a bonus.
Thanks again to everyone for all your experience and input.
Henry
archerynut611

Postby cnelk » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Honestly?

You can do it.

A few years ago, a long-time friend from high school called me up and said he would like to come elk hunting with me.
He is a good hunter and we had plenty of good hunting times growing up

He asked these same questions that are being posted here.
All I told him was that the experience was priority but I can GUARANTEE him a shot at an elk. The rest was up to him

Since then he has taken 3 shots at elk and has 3 dead elk to show for it in 4 years of hunting elk with me

I shot my first elk on my first elk hunt in 1980

It can be done - Honestly!
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Sean D. » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Yes it can be done! Go for it! Just be prepared that if you kill an elk or get close to killing an elk you are going to do everything in your power to make it back again, and again, and again!!!!!!!

There is nothing like elk hunting, HONESTLY!
Sean D.

First Name: Sean
Last Name: D

Postby Indian Summer » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 16]

Cnelk... that's what Paul & refer to as taking someone under your wing. A whole other ball game. Your experience and knowledge of the area is even more valuable than if a non resident hunter could make a scouting trip during the summer. In my deer hunting scenario that would be like having a friend offer to put you in a stand on his property.

I take people under my wing from time to time and am taking a rookie this year I met online. Paul has done the same on several occasions.

I would say that if you can make a few friends on forums and find someone willing to do that by all means you should take them up on the offer no matter where it is. When you get to the stage of knowing where you're going and talking to those who have been there maybe you'll strike gold and get an invite to camp together or something. Those things take time and sometimes just the willingness to ask.

At many stages of an elk hunt... including the planning stages I use the Nike motto "Just do it!"
Indian Summer

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 17]

Some very, very good thoughts offered from experienced hunters here archerynut611. That's why I refer to this place as "the" elk forum. A few more thoughts from a seasoned elk hunter.

1. Enjoy the process of planning and preparing for your hunt.. It's a blast and really, is a huge part of the elk hunting experience.
2. Just my thoughts (perhaps not so popular), the hunt itself is the crux of the biscuit, the kill is secondary. That's why it's called hunting. Once I stopped trying so hard and took the time to understand what was going on around me, the kills came much, much easier.
3. As others have mentioned, Elknut's material will put you light years ahead of the masses. Understanding what elk are saying and what they're asking for will help you once you're in the game.
4. Get into elk. If you're not into elk, move to a place where you're into them. Sounds simple but many hunters will set up camp and stay in that spot for their entire hunt. Ensure you have the 7.5 minute quad maps for the area you plan on hunting, and, the adjacent areas. If there's nobody home where you're at (indiginous wapiti variety), or, the hunting pressure is bad, move.
5. Bugle to locate; cow call when you're in close. Certainly not applicable for all situations, maybe even most, but a good rule of thumb to start with.
6. Work the wind :)... You can fools an elk's eyes and ears on occasion, but not his snout.. This is crucial. If you see, hear, or smell elk, take great measures to ensure you have the wind in your favor.

I wish you the best of luck this fall. Sounds like you have the right spirit for the sport (a bit humble) as many good archery elk hunters are. Remember, just because a hunt doesn't work out with steaks on the campfire, it's not a failure.. Each day you venture out, you'll learn something new for your elk kit bag.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Freebird134 » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 18]

Phantom16 wrote:1. Enjoy the process of planning and preparing for your hunt.. It's a blast and really, is a huge part of the elk hunting experience.

^^fantastic point. For us gear heads, this is especially true. Also, the 6 months of planning are 6 months of discussions, phone calls, emails, and texts with my buddies as we plan. I enjoy it almost as much as our time in the woods.
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby Lefty » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 19]

Wow ,.. you have been given some incredible insight.
As an original Minnesotain living in SD Washington, Utah and now Idaho, The west has been an adventure to me since I ran traplines in Wyoming, SD and Nebraska.
This is my forth year archery hunting. I have had some incredible expieriences and I know that. In 4 years of archery elk hunting Ive have had elk and other animal envounters that most never have,
When you come to the mountians suck it all up,.. not just archery elk hunting, the hike in, a nap in the middle of the day, a refreshing bath in , well cold water, stinging snow on your cheeks, how after a hard wet hunt top Ramen is satifying food,.. slipping into cold clothes after crawling out of a warm bag, the fantastic or lack of sound at 3 AM
Even as mentioned above make the drive out and back part of that adventure

Hit the forums , you might find someone willing for money or not to give you a hand in the area or on the hunt, or someone who has killed but isnt done hunting
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Pop-r » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 20]

Honestly.....

1/3 beginner diy elk hunter's killing an elk?!

Possible....not likely. Success ratio among ALL hunter's overall isn't even 25% of those odds!
Just sayin.... It's also "possible" all 3 could kill just not likely. We ALL face this opposition & it doesn't stop us! You just gotta do it!!
Pop-r

Postby Da White Shoe » 03 04, 2013 •  [Post 21]

My first year elk hunting was 1978... I had never seen the Rocky Mountains or an elk before. I was absolutely addicted at first sight. I've missed one season since that year. Had to sacrifice a little... quit jobs, didn't play high school sports, broke up with girlfriends... you name it.

You have the right attitude. There is no way you can lose with that kind of mind-set. You really need to go.
Just be prepared to go the next year and the year after that! LOL!

Plan smart though. Read everything you can. Be prepared physically. Be shooting your exact set-up at your best before you get up there.
Usually, you need to be at the top of your game to kill an elk... even if you've been doing it for 34 seasons!

One thing though... being satisfied with your hunt without having to kill an elk is a great quality, but it can also be dangerous for the first-timer.
If you believe that your success is impossible before you even get up there, there's a very good chance that it will become a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Da White Shoe

First Name: zane

Postby Vanish » 03 04, 2013 •  [Post 22]

Lots of great advice in this thread.

If you don't go, you'll never know!
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby archerynut611 » 03 04, 2013 •  [Post 23]

The one thing that I can assure all of you is. This guy here dont give up. Reguardless of the outcome, I will hunt as hard on the last day as I will on the 1st. Even if I kill an elk I will not stop helping my friends get their elk. Bow hunting is my passion and Even I dont shoot an elk my 1st trip or any trip, like deer hunt. It will never discourage me or take away my drive and passion to go. I see this elk hunting turning into another obsession that I cant get enough of.
Thank you all for your advice and input. My 1st order of business tonight is ordering the elknut dvds.
Thanks again
Henry
archerynut611

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 04, 2013 •  [Post 24]

NH to Co is a two day trip if you drive straight thru. You'll need a day to rest and set up camp when you get here. So there is three days shot right off the bat. You'll need a couple of days for the trip back home. That leaves you about nine days to hunt.

So yes, it can be done. Hope you have a good time. If you are lucky enough to be in the mountains, you are lucky enough!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Z Barebow » 03 11, 2013 •  [Post 25]

Yes it can be done.

I went on my first elk hunt in 1998. (Solo backpack in NM) I only allowed myself 4.5 days to hunt. I had my opportunities and I managed to find a shoulder blade. ARGHHHH. But it was a learning experience. You have way more days than I did. (I redeemed myself 2 years later). Control the things you can (Research, physical preperation, shooting, etc) IE be prepared for the things elk hunting can throw at you, and you will be fine.

Also be prepared if you kill one. The only things worse than packing meat is not packing meat. It is one of the hardest jobs you will ever love. (Paraphrasing ARMY slogan). This CANNOT be overblown. An elk is big and definitely not a WT.
Z Barebow

First Name: Brian
Last Name: Zastoupil

Postby Swede » 03 11, 2013 •  [Post 26]

Buying a Playbook, DVD and a bugle will no more make you an elk hunter than buying a claw hammer, square and a skil saw make you a carpenter. Every one of these are useful, maybe even irreplaceable tools of the trade, but there is a lot to learn before you can predictably kill elk on a regular or short hunt basis. There are a few elk that may come easy, but they are the exception and not the norm.
Consider Elknut: He knows his hunting area very well. I have never asked, but I suspect it takes him an average of 10 days hunting per elk killed. Paul is an expert! Like a journeyman carpenter using his tools, Paul can make magic happen in the elk woods where he hunts. Still the tactics and skills Paul teaches need to be measured and adapted to different areas. Elk hunting is not a one size fits all operation. You need to learn your area and how to hunt it.
The same is true where I hunt and the way I go about it. It has taken me years to sort out and determine where and how to hunt it most effectively. Yes I killed a lot of elk in the process. Like any other hunter who puts in his time I acquired skills a little here and a little there. They kept adding up so I am better prepared on each new hunt. I know of quite a few people who have hunted for years, and they never have shot anything with a hide on it. I did not arrive in the elk woods one afternoon and wa la instant elk. You shouldn't expect to either. The successful elk hunter is in it for the joy of hunting, and will learn all they can. They are in it for the long haul. Elk hunting is a life time passion, not just a nine day harvest time. Read the Playbook, Watch the DVDs, they are great tools. Learn how, when and where to apply them. Learn to modify the tactics Paul explains. But one size does not fit all.
I have had people ask me to show them where on their hunting area they sould set up a tree stand. After looking over the area, I could only suggest they find a new area. As a matter of fact tree stand hunting is also a tool, that like a hammer or saw to a carpenter. It is not the solution for every situation.
The bottom line is that a book and/or a DVD is not your complete education. They are a great investment. They are able to get you on a good start. That is all you should expect.
Honestly!
Swede

Postby pointysticks » 03 11, 2013 •  [Post 27]

my elk and my brother's elk..complete ROOKIES. my brother went to an elk calling seminar hosted by a Primos guy. i showed up at the end and he pulled us aside and gave us some pointers.

how we drew such a great elk unit for the rifle season was a complete and utter miracle. (We didnt even own bows yet)

we showed up a few days early and chased down a biologist. i pointed to a map and said we want to go "there"! he looked and said.."there? the hike will be brutal!, but good call. lots of elk"

opening morning. 150 yard shot at a bull running towards me at a full trot. i was done.

next morning..we mewed at a big bull surrounded by cows..and he left his hotties for the fake one..100 yard broadside..my brother was done!!

it can happen. but NOT from your couch...ever.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby cnelk » 03 11, 2013 •  [Post 28]

Swede:

Wonderfully stated.

Everyone should read that.

And then read it again.

I may use an excerpt or two from that post in my travels...
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby archerynut611 » 03 11, 2013 •  [Post 29]

I am going elk hunting because I love to hunt and have always wanted to try elk hunting. I have no misconception that it will be easy or that I will kill an elk my 1st hunt or any hunt I may do in the yrs to come. I am going for the experience not the killing, if I never bring an elk home then thats fine with me. I have never hunted anything because I feel the need to kill. Whether its deer, turkeys and now elk, its never has been and never will be about the killing.
archerynut611

Postby Swede » 03 11, 2013 •  [Post 30]

Honestly, what is a reasonable expectation for a nine day do it yourself hunt, for a first time elk hunter, who is not familiar with the area they hunt? What should Archerynut611 expect?

You should expect to see some awesome country. It is the kind of sight you could wish to see out your picture window, but will also make some great photos.
If you have done your homework well, you should expect to see and hear elk. With some luck you should be able to get close to elk several times.
You should learn a lot about the area you hunt and some things about elk.
If you are well prepared and careful, you should be able to hunt for the full nine days you have available. If you are not careful, and over do it you could be laying around camp healing up from blisters or cramps. Pace yourself. Even though you are not running and gunning constantly does not mean you are not effectively hunting. A nine day hunt is not a sprint.
Finally you have a chance to kill an elk. Be ready and able to make the shot if and when opportunity comes.

With a good outfitter/guide your chances to bring home an elk can go up significantly. A good guide can most likely give you an opportunity to get a shot. A good guide will work hard for you. He will expect you to be able to keep up and do your part. It is up to you to make the most of any shot opportunity. These shots are not often easy, and they don't last long.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 03 11, 2013 •  [Post 31]

Theelkhunter: "Could you honestly expect to kill something on your first trip?"

Id say hope is a better word than expect for a 1st timer in new country on any hunt whether it's elk, deer, or turkeys. Even fish!

To expect anything the first time you do something is having your goals a bit high. That would include hunting, fishing, bowling, golf, darts, and dating. ;)

You can expect to have the experience of your life afterwhich some may be hooked for life and others may decide to try an antelope hunt next season. Nothing is for everyone and that includes elk hunting darts and dating. :lol:
Indian Summer