Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Post up Your Elk Sounds, 2013. Locator and Screams

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 04, 2013 •  [Post 1]

OK.. time for part II of our 2013 Post Em Up sessions. Let's do a simple locator bugle, and, a scream. A locator bugle is a social call, seeing who's on the mountain side, or draw, etc. They're pretty non-adversarial.... kind of a "hellooooooo". A scream is a more in your face, challenging bull sound. I'll let somebody else start this one with their offerings.. Let's hear em... Throw out your locator bugle and a bull scream (two different bull sounds). RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Post up Your Elk Sounds, 2013. Locator and Screams

Postby msd1228 » 03 04, 2013 •  [Post 2]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg_m0aj3V7Y&feature=youtu.be

I really enjoy these Phantom - its definitely fun to see what everyone is doing for practice.
msd1228

First Name: Shane

Postby JJ Overkill » 03 04, 2013 •  [Post 3]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scX2pyP2H30

rory i tried to be the first to post but my file didnt load fast enough.

the garage gave some echo but i might have helped. the screams might be a tad over the top but...
JJ Overkill

First Name: jeremy

Postby JJ Overkill » 03 04, 2013 •  [Post 4]

msd

i like your location bugle, very sing songie.

can you tell i havent touched a call since sept?
JJ Overkill

Postby msd1228 » 03 04, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Thanks Jer!

You mentioned your screams may be a bit over the top, and they certainly are insanely deep, but I'll never forget 3 seasons ago when I was dogging a 350+ bull for an entire day, and every time he bugled he let out the deepest roar you could imagine - it sounded insanely similar to what you just did, in fact, the moment I heard your call I immediately thought of that huge smasher and his ground shaking roars (I call them roars, they certainly weren't bugles coming out of that big boy haha). I also enjoyed your cow sequence!
msd1228

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 05, 2013 •  [Post 6]

ttt... Oh "HE double toothpicks NO" ;) ... We've only just begun our 2013 post em up threads. Let's hear some more locators and screams... This is a premium opportunity to get some positive feedback from some pretty dang good elk callers. Don't be reluctant... It's all positive here.. Let's hear em.. RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby JJ Overkill » 03 08, 2013 •  [Post 7]

no one else has a comment pos or neg to give?
JJ Overkill

Postby slim9300 » 03 08, 2013 •  [Post 8]

msd1228 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg_m0aj3V7Y&feature=youtu.be

I really enjoy these Phantom - its definitely fun to see what everyone is doing for practice.

Those are some long screams but they do sound good. Definitely challenge oriented. You ever try a cow gathering scream? It's one of the most effective calls in my arsenal thanks to Paul.
Work hard. Be happy. Annoy a Liberal. :wink:
2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
University of Washington; Foster School of Business Alum
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby msd1228 » 03 08, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Thanks slim, and I agree, shaving a second or 2 off sure wouldn't hurt - I felt the same way after I started reviewing them. I find it so easy to get carried away with how long the call lasts when you're hitting a note that you like the sound of haha :lol:
msd1228

Postby slim9300 » 03 08, 2013 •  [Post 10]

msd1228 wrote:Thanks slim, and I agree, shaving a second or 2 off sure wouldn't hurt - I felt the same way after I started reviewing them. I find it so easy to get carried away with how long the call lasts when you're hitting a note that you like the sound of haha :lol:

I have the same tendency with grunts and chuckles. I always have to tell myself to count them or I can get carried away. :)
2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
slim9300

Postby ctdad » 03 09, 2013 •  [Post 11]

ctdad

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 09, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Keep em coming guys (and gals).. Need some more locator bugles and screams before we move on... RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby ctdad » 03 10, 2013 •  [Post 13]

I'd like to hear calls from some of the veterans. Good bench marks for the rest of us.
ctdad

Postby slim9300 » 03 10, 2013 •  [Post 14]

slim9300

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 10, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Great sounds Slim . Also a good example as to why I don't use soundcloud. Or, maybe, "Did you add all those other sounds as well"?

Anyhow, they were all pretty dang good. You have been practicing.
>>>---WW---->

Postby slim9300 » 03 10, 2013 •  [Post 16]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Great sounds Slim . Also a good example as to why I don't use soundcloud. Or, maybe, "Did you add all those other sounds as well"?

Anyhow, they were all pretty dang good. You have been practicing.

Thank you Bill, but actually all those recordings are about a year old. I honestly feel like I have improved a lot since then. I really need to create some new recordings.
slim9300

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 10, 2013 •  [Post 17]

OK.. the rust is evident :(... Here's a few locators with some very short screams mixed in. RJ

Sorry.. See if this link works? I'm a soundcloud newbie...

https://soundcloud.com/#sstribute68-1/l ... d-scream-1
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 10, 2013 •  [Post 18]

jerinmn wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scX2pyP2H30

the garage gave some echo but i might have helped. the screams might be a tad over the top but...

Jeremy, missed your post.. sorry. I think your sounds are pretty dang good! Would only recommend that you hold the high note on your locator longer.. that's all they hear in many cases. Screams are adversarial (sp?) and challenging but perhaps a bit long. I thought your cow sounds were very good also.. Nice job. Hmm, I wonder who has been giving you elk noise tips.. Please tell Gregg hello for me. RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 10, 2013 •  [Post 19]

Umm.. money.
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 10, 2013 •  [Post 20]

msd1228 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg_m0aj3V7Y&feature=youtu.be

Since not many others are commenting, I'll echo Slim's comments... A bit long on the screams but all in all very good IMO.. RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 10, 2013 •  [Post 21]

Anyone else? Of course, you can always post up your sounds throughout the spring/summer but the earlier you post em up, the sooner you get some feedback on how you could possibly improve your sounds prior to the 2013 elk season. Next up? Bugles with chuckles... Chuckles are another bread and butter elk sound. I mean really, if somebody was yelling "hey girls, you should leave that old fart and come hang with me".. how good of a sound is that to practice? Talk about the ultimate slap in the face. Chuckles are money, and, mixed in with a bugle... may be the perverbial slap in the face to a herd bull that just perhaps, would make him come in your direction with intentions of stomping you into the (insert elk state here) ground.. Fun stuff :)..
WapitiTalk1

Postby JJ Overkill » 03 11, 2013 •  [Post 22]

Phantom16 wrote:
jerinmn wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scX2pyP2H30

Jeremy, missed your post.. sorry. I think your sounds are pretty dang good! Would only recommend that you hold the high note on your locator longer.. that's all they hear in many cases. Screams are adversarial (sp?) and challenging but perhaps a bit long. I thought your cow sounds were very good also.. Nice job. Hmm, I wonder who has been giving you elk noise tips.. Please tell Gregg hello for me. RJ

when i listened to my recording i reallized i need a little more work on the locator.

its amazing what you can learn from an old geezer like that in just a few days on the mountain.
JJ Overkill

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 11, 2013 •  [Post 23]

jerinmn , your sounds sounded just fine bud! They will definitely work in the elkwoods, right sound right time is the key! Nice work!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby ctdad » 03 11, 2013 •  [Post 24]

Any comment on mine?
ctdad

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 11, 2013 •  [Post 25]

ctdad, wow, you've got a great Challenge Bugle there, nice & throaty, well done! Your cow sounds were decent but your calf sounds could use a little polishing, they were more chirpy than crisp calf chirps, do you know what I mean? On your location bugle one or two notes is plenty, lose the third note. End your length of location bugle at end of 2nd note. Other than that it sounded fine!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby slim9300 » 03 11, 2013 •  [Post 26]

I added a few sounds to my page and deleted all the old ones...

Let me know what you think. I wish I could figure out how to do the little bit of raspyness that MSD1228 does at the end of his challenge screams. I can get it once in awhile but it's not consistent for me. :( What are you doing with your tongue/mouth or voice to achieve that?

http://www.soundcloud.com/slim9300
slim9300

Postby slim9300 » 03 11, 2013 •  [Post 27]

Phantom16 wrote:OK.. the rust is evident :(... Here's a few locators with some very short screams mixed in. RJ

Sorry.. See if this link works? I'm a soundcloud newbie...

https://soundcloud.com/#sstribute68-1/l ... d-scream-1

Wow. You have been practicing Rory. That sounds great to me. Your screams are "fixed!" ;)
slim9300

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 11, 2013 •  [Post 28]

slim9300 wrote: Wow. You have been practicing Rory. That sounds great to me. Your screams are "fixed!" ;)

Thanks Conlan. It may be due to your drill sergeant type practice sessions on the boat (I wonder why we never catch any fish... :roll: ). Your updated sounds on soundcloud are very good. A standard to deviate from for sure. I also like how MSD1228 ends his screams.. Probably a bit of throaty rasp at the end?

Anyone else care to throw out some sounds for this thread? Locators and Screams... Let's hear em..
WapitiTalk1

Postby msd1228 » 03 11, 2013 •  [Post 29]

Although I'd like to take credit for being able to make that rasp with every call, I think its more a function of a combination of an All Star diaphragm and and a bugle tube that I made with a larger bell end (It has the exact same dimensions of the Bully Bull, except a made a sound chamber that has about an inch of additional diameter). I use lots of voice and narrow my throat passage so that I have to strain the air out - think of the noise you make when you lift something heavy.

Like I said, I'm sure the diaphragm is a huge part of it, because try as I might with the Raging Bull (my personal favourite for bugling), I just can't get that strained rasp with it. I can still get a good finish, but not like I can with the All Star. I honestly feel that the All Star is THE most versatile diaphragm that money can buy, I just like the degree of control that I have with the Raging Bull.

Slim, the new sounds you posted are freakin' awesome - I love how you start your grunts and chuckles at a high pitch and work them down to nothing, that's something that I've been trying to do more frequently since sometimes my chuckles sound abrupt due to cutting them off at too high of a volume. I doubt the elk care, but human ears are more demanding than elk ears when doing calling competitions :lol:
msd1228

Postby slim9300 » 03 12, 2013 •  [Post 30]

msd1228 wrote:Although I'd like to take credit for being able to make that rasp with every call, I think its more a function of a combination of an All Star diaphragm and and a bugle tube that I made with a larger bell end (It has the exact same dimensions of the Bully Bull, except a made a sound chamber that has about an inch of additional diameter). I use lots of voice and narrow my throat passage so that I have to strain the air out - think of the noise you make when you lift something heavy.

Like I said, I'm sure the diaphragm is a huge part of it, because try as I might with the Raging Bull (my personal favourite for bugling), I just can't get that strained rasp with it. I can still get a good finish, but not like I can with the All Star. I honestly feel that the All Star is THE most versatile diaphragm that money can buy, I just like the degree of control that I have with the Raging Bull.

Slim, the new sounds you posted are freakin' awesome - I love how you start your grunts and chuckles at a high pitch and work them down to nothing, that's something that I've been trying to do more frequently since sometimes my chuckles sound abrupt due to cutting them off at too high of a volume. I doubt the elk care, but human ears are more demanding than elk ears when doing calling competitions :lol:

Thank you for the kind words. I was lucky enough to have a few good "teachers" back in 2012 and their feedback made all the difference for me sounding semi-realistic (coming from someone that is musically/sound challenged). :)

I use the Raging Bull. It's my favorite reed and the only reed I can make all the calls with. I can use the All-Star to a certain degree but 50% of what I do with it is horrible compared to the Raging Bull. (Especially cow calls and grunts) I know exactly what you mean about the rasp using the All-Star. That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the explanation too. I'm going to give it some practice and try to get it down with the Raging Bull.

I just want you guys lurking to know. RJ (aka Phantom) started these threads in late 2011 I recall on Archery-Talk. At the time my sounds were not good. I attribute a huge portion of my improvement to these threads and the help they brought to me. Take that as a recommendation to get involved during an ideal time of the year! What do you have to lose? ;)
slim9300

Postby BrentLaBere » 03 12, 2013 •  [Post 31]

Ok, I know I am late getting my sounds up like I said I would. I just registered for sound cloud. When I go to my upload audio it asks me if I want to upload a file or record audio. Do you guys that use sound cloud have a mic? or what type of recording device are you using?
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 12, 2013 •  [Post 32]

BrentLaBere wrote:Ok, I know I am late getting my sounds up like I said I would. I just registered for sound cloud. When I go to my upload audio it asks me if I want to upload a file or record audio. Do you guys that use sound cloud have a mic? or what type of recording device are you using?

Brent, I use a mic on my windows based PC (actually take a laptop out in the shop so wife doesn't shoot me). If you have a windows PC, just find "sound recorder". The windows file (wma) must be converted to an mp3 file using any of the free conversion softwares on the web (soundcloud doesn't accept wma files). After this, you can select "upload a file" in soundcloud and it'll pull it from your PC. I just started doing the soundcloud myself and it took a bit to get right. RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby slim9300 » 03 12, 2013 •  [Post 33]

BrentLaBere wrote:Ok, I know I am late getting my sounds up like I said I would. I just registered for sound cloud. When I go to my upload audio it asks me if I want to upload a file or record audio. Do you guys that use sound cloud have a mic? or what type of recording device are you using?

What kind of phone do you have?
slim9300

Postby BrentLaBere » 03 12, 2013 •  [Post 34]

Motorola Droid. recorded 3 things tonight on my phone with the video recorder. I tried to up load them to a you tube account I just created. My phone says searching for WiFi. So no luck tonight might give it a go tomorrow if I can find a mic or figure it out on my phone.
BrentLaBere

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 12, 2013 •  [Post 35]

BrentLaBere wrote:Motorola Droid. recorded 3 things tonight on my phone with the video recorder. I tried to up load them to a you tube account I just created. My phone says searching for WiFi. So no luck tonight might give it a go tomorrow if I can find a mic or figure it out on my phone.

Here's the thread where Slim9300 placed some guidance on how to do the soundcloud thing via cell phone..

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1413
WapitiTalk1

Postby BrentLaBere » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 36]

Thanks guys.
BrentLaBere

Postby BrentLaBere » 03 18, 2013 •  [Post 37]

I thought I had added some screams but must of deleted them after actually listening to them.....
Locator - https://soundcloud.com/brentlabere-1/lo ... -1/locator
BrentLaBere

Postby slim9300 » 03 18, 2013 •  [Post 38]

BrentLaBere wrote:I thought I had added some screams but must of deleted them after actually listening to them.....
Locator - https://soundcloud.com/brentlabere-1/lo ... -1/locator

The recording environment seems to make them sound hollow, but I can tell that's just reverberation. Those will work just fine in the elk woods.
slim9300

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 20, 2013 •  [Post 39]

Getting tired of me yet.. Too bad :)... Heading out for your first elk hunt and have been working on your elk noises? Post up your current sounds and receive some feedback on some ways you may adjust your sounds to maximize your chances in the western elk woods. Who knows, you may get some feedback from the Elknut himself and some former competition callers... no names mentioned of course (WW.... :D ).. This is an opportunity that is well, free and constructive..
WapitiTalk1