Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Montana License Deadline 3/15

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Montana License Deadline 3/15

Postby Indian Summer » 03 06, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Just a reminder. Montana licenses are by draw but the odds have been 100%. Applications must be in by March 15th. Montana licenses are good for both bow and gun.

I know there are lots of people planning hunts for this season & some still weighing out their options.

Indian Summer 0utfitters still has 1 opening during archery on our first hunt (9/14 t 9/20) and also space on the opening week of rifle (10/19-10/25) if anyone is interested. Also a late season rifle hunt which is always a good one as the elk move down.

I hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable season and remember... Pass It 0n. :arrow:
Attachments
ISO Logo 2.jpg
ISO Logo 2.jpg (39.38 KiB) Viewed 1394 times
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Re: Montana License Deadline 3/15

Postby BrentLaBere » 03 07, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Turned in my application after they opened it up online in January. It looked like it was going to be a solo trip until two friends wanted to apply as well. After talking with the Montana Game & Fish we figured out we could still apply as a party. So having high hopes they set up the party and all I would have to do is link the party number to them. Turns out with some of our own confusion they applied for the bonus point and I had not. We knew this going into it but the people I applied with assumed I could pick it up to match theirs. After linking the parties turns out I was the odd ball and am not allowed on it because our applications didn't match. For anyone new applying out of state. READ the instructions for applying!!!! We are trying to work this out but is looking like it wont happen. Just a heads up to those new to hunting out of state. Make sure you know what you are applying for. Especially if you are applying as a party. Either way my name is in the hat for a general elk combination license as well as unit 410-15. And part of me is hoping for the general to head out west to region 3 so I can give it a go in the mountains. Good luck to every one in the LE draw!
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby MTLongdraw » 03 07, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Brent this shouldn't matter much. 410 is about an 80% draw. So you may get it either way but if you don't your able to hunt anywhere in the state that isn't special permit. Region 3 has very few special permit areas. I would say your luck of killing an elk is probably better outside of the Breaks anyways.
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty

Postby BrentLaBere » 03 07, 2013 •  [Post 4]

MTLongdraw,
I don't believe it is that high for non residents (could be wrong). My hunters trail head account puts a NR with 0 bonus points at roughly 27% and for 1 bonus point I believe its just under 50%. So that was the main concern with the other two in the party tag that they have a much better chance at drawing than me. I am more than willing to head out west and would almost prefer it, would like to give the mountains a try :D . I have two units in mind. If anyone is willing to address some issues I have with these two units I would love to hear some advice from anyone that has bow hunted region 3. PM me and I can narrow it down to specific spots if anyone is willing to help.
Thanks
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere