Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

To all the new elk hunters.......

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby RockChucker30 » 03 07, 2013 •  [Post 1]

A friend and I are writing a season long series of blog articles covering everything needed to be successful on an elk hunt.

My question to all of you is: What topics should we cover? What does a new elk hunter most need to know?
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Re: To all the new elk hunters.......

Postby mandrroofing » 03 07, 2013 •  [Post 2]

What's consider new?
mandrroofing

First Name: Matt

Postby mudhole » 03 07, 2013 •  [Post 3]

All the basics. Don't assume any knowledge on part of the reader. Also, when I started to read about it, one of the best things for me was a personal story to go along with the advice. It helped me visualize the advice and understand a little better. As a community college instructor, I can tell you that students will perk up for a real life story when I have been boring them with the facts. And don't forget to emphasize the importance of enjoying the experience.
mudhole

Postby RockChucker30 » 03 07, 2013 •  [Post 4]

We want any elk hunter, even the old salts, to benefit from reading the series. But the reality is that if you've killed an elk every year for 20 years you don't need help.

The focus will be how to go into an area blind or with little scouting time and maximize your chances at taking meat home. It's not about trophy hunting.
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

Postby cnelk » 03 07, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Look at the post ' planning first elk hunt'

You should be able to gleen something from that?
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 07, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Isn't that what we're doing here! (big grin) There's tons of info here that can help any level of elk hunter. Any who are serious about an elk hunt new or old will glean more off of a Forum as this from many who have been there done that. We all at one time started with no knowledge, some were taught by mentors & others were self taught, these are the ones you want to glean from. If ones out there have further questions about any phase of the hunt or gearing up all they have to do is ask. We don't care if hunters ask the same questions over & over, we are here to help!-- I do understand the purpose of your blog & there are many out there already doing so, but I really believe the meat & potatoes is right here! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Indian Summer » 03 07, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I was thinking the same thing. A thread that questions what to talk about in another thread, blog, same thing. The title of threads here pretty much sums up what people want to know. New subject are always welcome.

So you're asking the new hunters what it is they most want to know? Not sure I have that right. If so that's a great angle. I for one will be glad to hear the answers. I think we've been through what veterans think the priorities are.

"The focus will be how to go into an area blind or with little scouting time and maximize your chances at taking meat home" :idea:

I'll tell you right now you have your sites on the heart of what it all comes down to for me. The reality is that locating them is half the battle. Until then nothing else really matters right? The other big reality is that most new elk hunters don't have the ability to pre-scout their area... which they've never set foot in. So where the heck does a new hunter begin if he wants to become successful as quickly as possible at least at finding elk in the first place..... from home. That's the first order of affairs.

I'm not a new elk hunter but I hunt new places. There is nothing I like more than to sit at home and grill maps and "fly" Google Earth until I know an area like I've been there and then go kill a bull where I put an X on the map. Man alive that is sweet success from start to finish. The process of research is a big part of the fun once you're on the right track. I actually think I have better game plans than any local hunters who just hit the ground running. There's something to be said for that.

I have my X for this year in place! Never been there. Put an X or 2 on maps for a couple other "blind" guys and just as interested to hear their reports.

You can bet I'll be paying attention to this thread. I'm going to shut up & listen for awhile without chiming in. The whole idea of going into an area blind is about as interesting of a subject as there is for me.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby mandrroofing » 03 07, 2013 •  [Post 8]

ElkNut1 wrote:Isn't that what we're doing here! (big grin) There's tons of info here that can help any level of elk hunter. Any who are serious about an elk hunt new or old will glean more off of a Forum as this from many who have been there done that. We all at one time started with no knowledge, some were taught by mentors & others were self taught, these are the ones you want to glean from. If ones out there have further questions about any phase of the hunt or gearing up all they have to do is ask. We don't care if hunters ask the same questions over & over, we are here to help!-- I do understand the purpose of your blog & there are many out there already doing so, but I really believe the meat & potatoes is right here! (grin)

ElkNut1

Ditto!
mandrroofing

First Name: Matt

Postby GetemDuck » 03 07, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I've been doing this for about 5 years now, I've packed out 3 elk, none of which were mine. Two of which have been guys I ran into that just looked like they could use some help. But last year was the best as my dad got his first elk so that was the best pack out yet..... :mrgreen:

But as for things new elk hunters need to know here is where I'd start

exercise (get in shape, this is not whitetail country and these are not little white you grab and drag.) The real work starts after the shot.

maps (learn to read a map and use a compass - because you want to hunt where the roads don't go and it's big country out there.) I love my gps but always have a back-up map and compass.

Depending on where your hunting learn to judge distance - elk are big animals and will make you second guess their distance range finders come in handy.

Again depends on where your hunting - know the early signs of altitude sickness and what to do if you get them, nothing ends a elk hunt faster.

Just my two cents, take it for what it's worth, I have enjoyed learning as I go and have meet some great educators along the way.

Looking forward to a great 2013 hunt.
GetemDuck

Last Name: W

Postby RockChucker30 » 03 07, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Elknut,

You're absolutely right. I believe in total the information on forums is more usable than the series we will be able to write, BUT that information is scattered across the expanse of the web. For my CO hunt last year I probably had 30 different threads and websites bookmarked, and had to sort through a lot of chatter to find a few truly helpful nuggets.

What we're trying to do is condense the information down into it's most efficient form, and present a process that will give even brand new hunters the confidence to go on their first trip, or to help folks who have already hunted elk be more successful.

Our perspective is a bit unique. I did my first elk hunt last year, and documented it here on this forum -

http://www.elknutforums.com/Hunting/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=750

So I am a new elk hunter. My parnter Scott is a WY native and has been elk hunting since he was a little boy. So he will be able to give tips that could benefit even a veteran, while I have a good feel for what concerns a newbie, because they are the same concerns I have.

Anyway, that's what we're hoping for. So we would like to know what new elk hunters most want to know.
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

Postby aron » 03 07, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Hey guys,

I'm new to elk hunting and this forum. I have never stepped foot into the field targeting elk but I am not new to hunting. This year I applied for the general MT tag so I will be expecting my first elk hunt come fall. I came across this forum and immediately called elknut and we talked for a good while. He got me started and set me up with some of his information dvds, playbook, and some calls to get me going.

I think Indian Summers hit the nail on the head with where to start for a greenhorn by finding good elk country. Not being able to pre-scout and all research being done behind the computer screen gets daunting. Sometimes on the internet its tough to decide what's legit information and what's BS. Gear would be something else. We all know it can get expensive very quick and want to make sure we are getting something that isn't going to fail in the middle of a hunt. But I think a forum like this will provide much more than a blog. Its great to get a perspective from more than one person.

One can go and talk about getting in "elk shape" as I've heard around here but to me that should be expected. A person who isn't willing to put the time in will get just that out of it. And that goes with all things be your gear, calls, scouting, etc.

To me I think one will gain more for hearing the different perspectives of people versus a blog but thats not to say I won't go and read the blogs because I have.

Looking forward to learning as much as I can from you guys on here...
aron

First Name: Aron

Postby Indian Summer » 03 07, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Elk

"information is scattered across the expanse of the web"

so if you

"condense the information down into it's most efficient form, and present a process that will give even brand new hunters the confidence to go on their first trip"

&

"help folks who have already hunted elk be more successful"

you will have what we call ElkNut Forums. :idea:

Just sayin'
Indian Summer

Postby RockChucker30 » 03 07, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Look guys, we're not getting paid for this, we're doing it because Scott and I both would like to encourage, support, and provide genuine value to new hunters.

Wasn't expecting such a cold reception.
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

Postby cnelk » 03 07, 2013 •  [Post 14]

'A picture is worth a thousand words.....'

This phrase is so valuable in whatever a newbie wants to learn about, be it elk hunting, rebuilding a carburetor, or changing a tire.

I take pics of many things while I am elk hunting. For my reference and to help anyone else to learn.

Will a newbie elk hunter know what a wallow looks like? Or is it a spring?

Bull moose make rut pits that resemble wallows. Can the hunter determine the difference?
If you hunt elk where there are moose, you can find both.

What is the difference between an elk rub and a deer rub?

Welcome to the forum GetemDuck... Glad you made the trip ;)
I took pics of an area I scouted and sent them to him. It was there his dad connected after trying a few years in a different area.

I would suggest whatever you put together should have many pics, this alone is probably what will help the newbie most
cnelk

Postby JGH » 03 07, 2013 •  [Post 15]

I don't think you can spend enough time on the "how to find where the elk are" issue.

There is a lot to learn quickly, but very little of it comes into play until you find elk.

I remember being quite disappointed my first year out here, thinking I had really worked on the calling and then ... never really getting in to elk to use the thing! Ditto for other issues: decoys, shot placement, reading elk behavior, etc.

"Find them first."

And that's a big problem for some of us. The biggest disappointments occur at that phase. Failures on Phase 1 ("Find 'em") are the most likely, IMO, to convince someone that elk hunting isn't for them, and to go back home, tail tucked between legs, kicking themselves for spending $600 on a tag for an animal they never saw.
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 07, 2013 •  [Post 16]

JGH wrote:I don't think you can spend enough time on the "how to find where the elk are" issue.

There is a lot to learn quickly, but very little of it comes into play until you find elk.

I remember being quite disappointed my first year out here, thinking I had really worked on the calling and then ... never really getting in to elk to use the thing! Ditto for other issues: decoys, shot placement, reading elk behavior, etc.

"Find them first."

And that's a big problem for some of us. The biggest disappointments occur at that phase. Failures on Phase 1 ("Find 'em") are the most likely, IMO, to convince someone that elk hunting isn't for them, and to go back home, tail tucked between legs, kicking themselves for spending $600 on a tag for an animal they never saw.

This is very important for obvious reasons. I'll add to what JGH mentions and say "remain mobile". This goes for hunting locally (in your own state), or, when traveling to another state. If for whatever cosmic reason, there are no elk where you set up camp (base camp or backpacking in) you "must" have options B, C, D, and even E in your game plan for a potential hunting area switch. With all the planning that goes into this fall adventure, and the cost associated, you've gotta realize that your chosen spot may not be productive this fall. The smart move is to have several areas researched, possess the maps for, and know how to get to them (change areas) and, know the governing regulatory guidance for (bull, cow, bigfoot, etc.). It's no fun at all hunting where there are minimal to zero elk, and/or, an area that has way more hunting pressure than you thought it would. Plan for the potential need to move areas.. Stay mobile ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Moose-head » 03 07, 2013 •  [Post 17]

Pictures of an unnamed location are helpful. It is nice to compare a location from on a 7.5 minute map, to those on Google earth (or another similar program), as well as from the ground.
Moose-head

First Name: Dana

Postby Swede » 03 07, 2013 •  [Post 18]

Rockchucker30: You present a delemma for consideration. You are correct in your assertion that elk information is scattered across the web. But you are starting another site? Hum? I know there is a lot scattered over this forum too. Maybe someone should just make a Playbook where all the important information, that an elk hunter needs, is contained in one handy reference. :D Then what we do here is have a discussion, and share life experiences and stories.
Sometimes we horse around, and the information is fragmented. But the dialog we have is an important element, and helps us focus on real situations and problems. When I have found a tips here that I think I can use later, I just paraphrase them in a letter to my hunting folder. I print out the copies and tape them to my Playook.
It will be relatively easy to start an new site, but by its very nature, it will add to the broader dissemination of elk hunting tips, not consolidate them. Paul has his Elknut Tips here and so much more. I notice over time Paul continues to add to the Tips section, so I believe everything you are trying to accomplish will ultimately be redundant. Just my thought.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby RockChucker30 » 03 07, 2013 •  [Post 19]

We're planning on lots of pics, topos, and google earth images to show how to use them.

Problem is how to do that without giving your spots away......

We're thinking either use ground in Yellowstone or a wilderness area in WY since nonresidents can't hunt there. Tricky balance there.
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

Postby RockChucker30 » 03 07, 2013 •  [Post 20]

Swede, not starting a site. Think of a blog like an online magazine. It's just a series of articles.

We're not looking to compete with the forum here or anywhere else. In fact I think it may not hurt to link to this forum as a resource on elk calling and hunting. (If thats acceptable of course).

I was already thinking of that for Elknuts store because I have all his Dvd's, audio versions of the DVDs, plus the playbook, Chuckler, etc. all that stuff helped me and I think it can help others.

What we want to do is provide a step by step roadmap of how to plan a hunt for an out of stater, pick a unit, trailhead, and figure out where the elk are.

What else does a relatively new hunter need to know?
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

Postby ctdad » 03 07, 2013 •  [Post 21]

Explain how to read topo maps. Growing up in flatland Nebraska, both topo lines that exist in my county didn't really matter to me. :) When I went to the mountains for the first time, I was overwhelmed by the size of the country and my lack of ability to read the map. Then explain what types of topo and terrain to look for elk, but start with topo first.

Spend some time explaining the biology of the elk so hunters can understand the big picture. If you understand the need for food, water and shelter then you will be better prepared to adapt in the field rather than mimic what worked once for someone else.

Blogs are good and can always offer something for others to learn. One advantage to forums is you get so many different opinions while blogs are the opinion of one (or two hunters in this case). Doesn't make it wrong or less useful but it is an obvious difference. However, I don't see them as competitive entities, but complimentary in my opinion. Just more free stuff out there for me to read about my hobby.
ctdad

Postby Swede » 03 07, 2013 •  [Post 22]

Rockchucker30, I do not want to be negative at all. If you want to start a blog, it is truly fine with me, but what are you adding to the mix that is not already out there? The internet is full of "elk hunting blogs". I guess what I am also wondering is what information could you and a few others dispense on your "blog", that is not already being covered, or could not be shared here or on one of the other existing forums? Even though I usually just post here, I have six or seven forums and blogs on my list of favorites. It is nice to be a lurker too. Maybe I will add another. Best wishes.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 03 07, 2013 •  [Post 23]

I'll be honest... I have no idea what a blog is. I'm still using 2 fingers to type.
Indian Summer

Postby Swede » 03 07, 2013 •  [Post 24]

Indian Summer: I am not an expert by any means, but on the blogs the folk who set it up, tell you what they want people to know, then others can register and make replys. A forum is more open. You and I can start our own new thread on a forum, but not on a blog. Also blogs normally place the latest post, which is very limited in size at the top. On a forum they go to the bottom. Ok, I have shown my ignorance here, some others can take it up now, or you probably check Wikipedia for more.
Swede

Postby cnelk » 03 07, 2013 •  [Post 25]

My experience with blogs is that they are closely tied to advertisers
cnelk

Postby dotman » 03 07, 2013 •  [Post 26]

RockChucker30 wrote:A friend and I are writing a season long series of blog articles covering everything needed to be successful on an elk hunt.

My question to all of you is: What topics should we cover? What does a new elk hunter most need to know?

Not to sound rude but wasn't last year your first elk hunting? And yes you took an awesome bull but I would think there is much to learn from the old salts here.

Maybe I'm not following the intentions though, I think it would be great if you blogged about your personal experience but why would I go to it over here where there are 100's of years of experience? But then again I have been hunting elk off and on since I was 15. Could be good for the new hunter but then again if the new hunter wants to learn all they have to do is ask their question here and read thru the threads.
dotman

Postby RockChucker30 » 03 07, 2013 •  [Post 27]

cnelk wrote:My experience with blogs is that they are closely tied to advertisers

We have no advertisers. We're doing it because we enjoy writing and want to provide value to our readers.
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

Postby RockChucker30 » 03 07, 2013 •  [Post 28]

dotman wrote:
RockChucker30 wrote:A friend and I are writing a season long series of blog articles covering everything needed to be successful on an elk hunt.

Not to sound rude but wasn't last year your first elk hunting? And yes you took an awesome bull but I would think there is much to learn from the old salts here.

Maybe I'm not following the intentions though, I think it would be great if you blogged about your personal experience but why would I go to it over here where there are 100's of years of experience? But then again I have been hunting elk off and on since I was 15. Could be good for the new hunter but then again if the new hunter wants to learn all they have to do is ask their question here and read thru the threads.

Yep, last year was my first, and my partner has been elk hunting for 15+ years.

Does anyone read elk hunting magazines? Why, if you can get all you need from this forum? Dotman, why do you also go to rokslide and archery talk if this forum is all you need?

Because its entertaining? Because you can take 10 minutes to read an article and maybe learn something?

This is just another resource.
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

Postby RockChucker30 » 03 07, 2013 •  [Post 29]

Double post
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

Postby LckyTylr » 03 07, 2013 •  [Post 30]

^ aron . . . . AWESOME first post!!! That's got to be one of the best first posts I have ever read.

Welcome.

You are going to fit in very well here. Introduce yourself in a new thread. Give us some history.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby dotman » 03 07, 2013 •  [Post 31]

RockChucker30 wrote:
dotman wrote:

Yep, last year was my first, and my partner has been hunting for 15+ years.

Does anyone read elk hunting magazines? Why, if you can get all you need from this forum? Dotman, why do you also go to rokslide and archery talk if this forum is all you need?

Because its entertaining? Because you can take 10 minutes to read an article and maybe learn something?

Reason I visit forums is to mainly discuss a passion with like minded individual's. There isn't a single thing about elk hunting that I can't learn from all the guys here, reason I lurk in the elk section cause even with years of doing it that is where I learn the most. Magazines get old.

I think a blog about your experince would be way more interesting and one I would follow. You'll make mistakes for sure but it would be kind of like an extended live hunt. When it comes to learning elk knowledge I look to my elders, gear I look to our age group :)

I always enjoy reading about people's own experiences, not all of them do I take something away from but that doesn't mean others don't.
dotman

Postby RockChucker30 » 03 07, 2013 •  [Post 32]

Dotman, hopefully you'll find something worthwhile in what we put together.

Ok, so far we've got requests for how to find elk, how to read topos, pics of elk country. What else?
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

Postby Willie makit » 03 08, 2013 •  [Post 33]

Rockchucker, First off thanks for including that link from your last year’s hunt, somehow I'd missed it. Secondly as an individual that your blog appears to be geared for I can’t wait to see what you come up with. As a noob, I don't know enough to know what questions to ask, so for my planning my first ever elk hunt your blog should be helpful, I've broken my adventure down to 4 steps, none of which is any shocker.

#1 the Draw - Figuring out and applying where I might get a decent location (unit) that has elk and learn all I can about these darn critters.

#2 location - Once a tag is attained study the lay of the land (get maps) and try to figure out where they might be. Being 900 miles plus
from the closest elk country, prescouting is pretty much out of the question.

#3 Gear/supplies - figure out what I will need without wasting hundreds if not thousands on stuff that will sit in camp or in the truck.

#4 GO - Launch and what / how to do things when I do fill my tag.

Since my trip is most likely going to be a solo DIY trip I have extra things to prepare for, most of these are things I've never had to even think about while hunting whitetails. Being an hour or two from home is a huge difference than a day’s drive from any person I actually know. I’ve camped before but never for an extended time like this will be and never in the mountains, so preparing for the unknown is a daunting task.

It's crossed my mind to create a journal of my own during this elk journey to either post or write about after it happens. At any rate good luck and Ill be lurking.......
Willie makit

First Name: Thomas

Postby Indian Summer » 03 08, 2013 •  [Post 34]

"Does anyone read elk hunting magazines?" Nope. I did when I was a beginner. But we didn't have the internet then. I read BUGLE but not for educational purposes.The only reason I visit 1 other forum is because I made lots of great friends there, such as Paul & Lou, before the ElkNut forums existed. I might also go there to ask about a species other than elk. 0therwise I just drop by, say hi, have a few laughs, and then come here to get down to real elk business helping people who really want to talk and learn elk.

Willie... That's a really good list and kept nice and simple. You just need to switch positions with your #1 & #2 priorities. How can you apply for a tag somewhere if you hadn't already done the research, in detail, about where you wanted to hunt? What if you find out later there are problems of some kind with the area? Lock in the area before the tag.

I'd say #1 pick a state then narrow that down... to the exact camp site and a basic hunt plan. Yes that's easier said than done but you can do it. That begins as soon as the season ends. Make sure you qualify the place... no pressure, good elk numbers, feasible access... or an access plan to go the extra mile. Yes... that takes a couple months. But what else does an elk hunter do before it's time to buy a license? During this time you line up solid partners too if you want them.

Lots of guys start planning that when they hear others talking of their plans & see them applying for licenses. Too late. By then it's February (Jan in WY) and time to apply for your license. This is a year round thing really. So license app is #2.

Like you said... gear is #3. As you researched your area you should also be making organized gear notes if you're a 1st timer. Don't jump the gun on purchases only to come across something on the net later & have regrets. Keep your eyes on the classifieds. Maybe even place a WTB ad. You may pick up a few things along the way but you should mainly be concentrating on the time sensitive things first. Plus... before you know what gear will fit your needs... you'll have to have a plan to know your needs. I wouldn't want to by a pricy bivy tent & then later have a plan where I camped roadside in a wall tent.... or vice versa. Again... what else does an elk hunter do after he has a plan and a license? If you have the details worked out gear shopping is way easier and cost effective. The exception are calls & instructional items like DVDs and the Playbook. You can sit and learn to call, ask questions, and get good at it during the whole planning process, and you should.

I love your #4. You said alot in a few words there.

Just remember my first post on this thread.... after you pick a state... blind scouting is THE #1 thing to try to learn. I know it sounds crazy and for a rookie. It's like a heart surgeon saying "you can do this" but you can. Yeah that takes some experience... but there's plenty of that around here to pick away at. Like the Beatles said.... You'll get by with a little help from your friends. All you have to do is ask.
Indian Summer

Postby BrentLaBere » 03 08, 2013 •  [Post 35]

ElkNut Tips has a thread "Where to start on your elk hunt" that is a pretty good check list for the first time elk hunter........
Priorities may vary on the hunter and the state he wishes to hunt. To elaborate on those topics one could start a thread.
Just last week I believe MTLongdraw started a thread with maps. It was great. Able to look at topos, takes a snap shot of google earth, and also showed pictures of what the site was in person. I think what you are describing is right here! I am not typing this to say your idea is bad in anyway, just made me wonder why not contribute that to the threads that exist here already? Good luck on your blog though. I'm sure I will be checking it out!
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby GetemDuck » 03 08, 2013 •  [Post 36]

Nope don't read magazines (the last one I read was about some guys moose hunt in colorado... ;) ) , I use to read more till I got into the marketing side of my career and learned that everyone has a price. Magazines today so many time are BS they are paid advertising in the form of a story. And reviews, well I know companies pay to get their stuff reviewed in magazines like field and stream and no matter how bad the product is it gets a good review because the company paid for it. So I would rather come into a forum with knowledgeable people and learn what I can from people would don't stand to profit from throwing a product name out there.
GetemDuck

Last Name: W

Postby RockChucker30 » 03 08, 2013 •  [Post 37]

Swede wrote:Rockchucker30, I do not want to be negative at all. If you want to start a blog, it is truly fine with me, but what are you adding to the mix that is not already out there? The internet is full of "elk hunting blogs". I guess what I am also wondering is what information could you and a few others dispense on your "blog", that is not already being covered, or could not be shared here or on one of the other existing forums? Even though I usually just post here, I have six or seven forums and blogs on my list of favorites. It is nice to be a lurker too. Maybe I will add another. Best wishes.

Swede,

Thanks for the kind words of advice. To answer your question, I'll ask you another. When you were writing your book, did you stop writing it because that material was already being covered, or could be covered, on one of the existing forums?

Obviously not. You presented all the tips, tactics, knowledge, and advice that you could in one concise package.

I'd like to write something that truly does add value for the reader, and more importantly empowers someone who has never hunted elk that they CAN do it. Starting out there is an overwhelming amount of information to sort through. I would like to help new elk hunters get over the hump a lot quicker.

Thanks for the feedback,
Nathan
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

Postby Swede » 03 08, 2013 •  [Post 38]

Rockchucker30, I agree. I see where you are coming from on this. Your passion reminds me of this fellow who wanted to be a church pastor. An old pastor tried to talk him out of it, but to no avail. After telling the young man all of the difficulties he would have to deal with, not the least of which was probably a life of poverty, the old pastor dropped it. He knew the new fellow was called to the task. All the best to you.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 03 08, 2013 •  [Post 39]

Swede, I guess you're just an elknut and not a forum nut.

Remember when you were young and happy hour lasted until 2 a.m.? Now you're lucky to stay awake long enough to finish your 0doul's.

I don't always log onto internet forums.... but when I do it's Elknut forums! Stay thirsty my friends. :lol:
Indian Summer

Postby Swede » 03 08, 2013 •  [Post 40]

Indian Summer you are right, I am an elknut, and not a forum nut. Something Rockchucker30 wrote, got to me. It was no fault of his, that when he reminded me of the drive I had to write and publish the book on tree stand hunting for elk, I had to pause and catch my breath. It just reminded me that it did not matter that my wife wanted me to postpone or forget it. Despite her concern, I did not slow down even when she reminded me it was costing thousands of dollars. It did not matter that I was comsumed with the book, and spent nearly 500 hours getting it finished. I wanted to do it. You see, I am a Swede. Swedes are notoriously hard headed. Sometimes, when persisting on an long hard elk hunt, it pays to have at least some Swedish ancestry. But sometimes you just have to get out of their way: you are not changing them or what they are doing. I don't know about Rockchucker30, but I think he may have some Swede in his background. Anyway I understand that nothing anyone can say will change his mind. He will make and live with his decision, and that is the way it should be anyway. Go Rockchucker30. :D
Swede

Postby mongopino915 » 03 08, 2013 •  [Post 41]

Elk archery basically evolves around three key ingredients:

- Hunting - When/where/how/what........
- Archery - Know your equipment and ability.............
- Elk Calling - May not be for everyone but I would rather have my calls than the bow

Look forward to reading your blog. Good Luck.
mongopino915

Postby Indian Summer » 03 09, 2013 •  [Post 42]

R0TFLMA0! :lol:

I was hoping my little 1 liner didn't go to waste. :D

Mongo, you forgot one thing... living in relative comfort in the mountains! That's the foundation needed before you can do the other 3 right. You don't just buy a cool tent and stroll up a hill because you can.
Indian Summer

Postby RockChucker30 » 03 09, 2013 •  [Post 43]

Thanks Swede. Kind of you.

Is it just me or does The Most Interesting Man In The World bear a striking resemblance to ElkNut1?
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

Postby Indian Summer » 03 09, 2013 •  [Post 44]

Maybe Paul invented beer nuts.

Stay thirsty for elk hunting my friends.
Indian Summer

Postby Willie makit » 03 09, 2013 •  [Post 45]

Joe thanks for feedback on my list. You are definitely correct about location but my situation this year is unique for me in that I’ll have 3 weeks off in September and since I’ve never hunted anywhere out west I really have no specific state or area that I have my heart set on. If I was set one state and one area most likely it would take me years or even never draw that one specific state/unit/location. I know my luck when it comes to things like dice, cards, lottery’s and other "luck" things that are out of my control; in one word it's crappy. But if it’s anything in my control to make something happen, I'm hard headed and persistent enough to make my own luck.

My thinking is use all available data to first get a decent tag where there is a good chance of getting into elk, otherwise I'm just camping; then focus on a strategy for the unit, learn the units terrain backward and forward, otherwise I'll have a ton of maps for areas that I may never use down the road, hopefully this will also help narrow down some of the gear I’ll need. I am trying to do as much research as possible as to not be drawn into areas that are full of private land, shear rock bluffs, desert flats and few elk; this is indeed a daunting task for the noob flatlander via the internet. After my trip to AZ last weekend I would have not applied in the sequence that I did for this year, but it is what it is and if I do pull I'll make the most of it enjoying every minute of it.

From my readings these elk are like deer in that they also read the hunting pamphlets / maps and know when the season is open and they don't necessarily follow what they are "supposed" to do or go where they are "supposed' to go. No doubt about it, I am going to have to learn to use maps as gps's are wonderful tools but they can and do fail; adapt and overcome is my motto for this adventure.

I feel this first step into the unknown is what makes or breaks many; who knows if I do all this planning, go and never even see an elk it might break me from ever even considering it again, time will tell. Maybe this is going about it all wrong but from my point of view in my current situation it is the most logical. Right now the excitement / frustration and unknown for this year is just as heart pounding as seeing a big buck 100 yards out wondering if we will cross paths close enough for me to draw my bow,......

Rockchuckers post from his last years hunt was a great read for me as learning from others adventures usually contains the little things I'll remember down the road. Having too much information out there is much better that not enough, from reading his hunting post it will looks to be a great blog to follow. I love learning from others mistakes and successes, even though sometimes a mistake for one person doesn't correspond into a mistake for others, as we all know that’s why this is called hunting and not killing.

Maybe by this summer folks here will be asking,
Willie Makit?
:D
Willie makit

First Name: Thomas

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 09, 2013 •  [Post 46]

RockChucker, LOL!!!! He's older than me! (grin) I love your sense of humor!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Indian Summer » 03 10, 2013 •  [Post 47]

Hey... that was my line! (grin) :lol:
Indian Summer

Postby Huntography » 03 10, 2013 •  [Post 48]

I enjoy listening to and learning from other hunters first hand experiences. The more the story is in line with my particular interest or question at that moment, the more I pay attention.

I guess what I'm saying is, focus on specific tips or experiences 1 at a time.

Rudy
Huntography
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy

Postby RockChucker30 » 03 10, 2013 •  [Post 49]

Huntography, good advice. Ill use that.
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

Postby Huntography » 03 10, 2013 •  [Post 50]

Cool, My pleasure RockChucker30.
Huntography
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 03 11, 2013 •  [Post 51]

RockChucker30, you have a PM from me. :-)
JohnFitzgerald

Postby sreekers » 03 11, 2013 •  [Post 52]

Thanks for the responses guys, this really does help. I'm Nathan's partner in this and looking forward to hearing more from you guys.
sreekers
Site Sponsor

First Name: Scott