Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

OK... Who would shoot a cow?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby cnelk » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 1]

First - this is for OTC hunts

I realize everyone wants to shoot a bull, and probably a big one.

They also want hike up a moutnain, let out a bugle on a ridgetop and have a bull bugle back and come charging in...

But who would not hesitate to throw out some cow calls, have a fat cow come in and and just whack her??

Do antlers really matter?
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Re: OK... Who would shoot a cow?

Postby elkmtngear » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Last time I hunted Colorado, I regretted NOT doing just that. Hot weather, silent bulls, we were finding ourselves playing "hide and seek" in the dark timber, when I walked right in on a bedded group of cows. The biggest one was perfectly quartered away lying down, and I had plenty of time to plug her at 10 yds...but I let her go. It turned out to be my only good shot opportunity of the Season.

Since I will not be hunting alone, I would not be against putting down a nice fat cow in the first couple of days this Season if the opportunity presented itself. Then I could spend the rest of the trip taking pics and video while calling for my hunting partner.
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Freebird134 » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Bummer. I was really hoping this thread was about shooting moo cows :lol:

I'm not a trophy hunter. I shoot what gets in range.
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby GetemDuck » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 4]

In my experience any elk is a trophy antlers or not....having never shot one, any legal elk if fair game. At first I was thinking $600.00 for an either sex tag to shoot a $350.00 cow seems dumb, but I've spent over $1200.00 on tags total and not filled any so sure I'd shoot a cow on first day last day, any day......lol
GetemDuck

Last Name: W

Postby Swede » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Yes, I shoot cows. Now, I feel like a first timer at an AA meeting, fessing up. The question for me is at what part of the season. If in my assessment it looks like a tough season, then I will shoot one early. If I see plenty of fresh elk sign around, I will wait.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Last year when the season rolled around, I still had elk in the freezer from the year before. So I intentionally went hunting for a nice juicey calf to top off my meat supply. The results were the best tasting elk I have ever had. I may just do it again this year.

I've had way more than my share of bulls in my lifetime. Some were a little tough but always good. But none can even begin to compare with the taste and tenderness of a yearling cow or a calf.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I pass on a lot of cows and sometimes small bulls. Just a personal choice. I have access to a lot of butchered moo cows and pigs so lack of meat is never an issue for me.

Don't hold anything against a hunter who sticks a c-fatty or small bull. I do frown a little on those who shoot calfs. :o
JohnFitzgerald

Postby BrentLaBere » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 8]

For my stage in elk hunting (2nd year) I will say they absolutely matter. Its hard for me to justify why, but the best way I can is to say when I am nearing the end of the hunt and contemplating about if I should shoot the next one I see or not, there is a part of me that just wont let that happen. I don't think one or the other is more of a trophy but its just to your own standards. No on the cow, but yes a nice whitetail doe :D
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby msd1228 » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Early in the hunt I won't, if I'm getting towards the end of the season and have limited time I will - a full freezer goes a long way in helping a law student's bank account.
msd1228

First Name: Shane

Postby one_elk » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Can't eat them hors/antlers anyway, a cow is good by me
one_elk

Postby one_elk » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 11]

opps supposed to say horns not hors......where is spell checker when you need it
one_elk

Postby ironhead22 » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 12]

If its legal and i have a tag its in danger of getting a muzzy shot at it. I dont care if its elk or deer you never know when your next opportunity will come. Never pass on the first day what you would shoot on the last.
ironhead22

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Thompson

Postby sreekers » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 13]

I buy as many cow tags as legally possible. Had two in my pocket this year, filled over as well as my general bull tag.
sreekers
Site Sponsor

First Name: Scott

Postby cnelk » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 14]

[quote="JohnFitzgerald" I do frown a little on those who shoot calfs. :o[/quote]

I have shot 3 yummy calves over the years...

Turn that frown upside down! :)
cnelk

Postby ORelksniper » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Hi. My name's Frank and I shoot cows.

Just for you, Swede.
ORelksniper

Postby pointysticks » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 16]

my victory dance is exactly the same if i arrow a bull or a cow. i know..i've practiced both :)
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Indian Summer » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 17]

ironhead22 wrote:Never pass on the first day what you would shoot on the last.
Words to live by.

For me it depends on what happened last season. I I killed a bull I'm happy with a cow although I'll still horn hunt for several weeks in bow. If I killed a cow last year it's bull or bust until the very end of gun season when it's time to grocery shop. If I have alot of time I'll hunt bulls first and then look for the 1st legal animal late late in the gun season. But on any given week I know what my standards are before I take the 1st step.

One year I had a really full schedule. I knew I wouldn't be bowhunting until October. I'd rather shoot an elk with my bow and knew I'd be busy in gun too so I made the call: Cash in on the first really good opportunity, bull or cow. First day I heard a distant bugle. I hurry over there which is 4 miles and set up on a small ridge to call. Pulled out my tube and... there they were. Set the tube down and realize pretty quick that I have perfect wind and they are feeding right to me. No way! I picked a tree and said "If an elk stands right there I'm letting an arrow fly" 10 minutes later a bull is at 30 yards but behind cover. A cow steps right in front of the tree I'd picked and drops her head to feed. I could very likely have had a crack at the bull but I could have also eaten a moo cow over that winter. I was done by 9:30 on the first day with a big lead cow. Ivories worn to the gums. It was a wild scene watching the rest of the herd run off... run right back past me the other way.... then run by again going the original direction. They didn't know why they were running and no clue which way to go without that lead cow.

These days I won't shoot anything but a bull with the bow. But when the curtain drops at the end of the gun season I'll have elk meat in the freezer one way or another. But if I can find a calf I can surely find a cow right?
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby cnelk » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 18]

My first archery cow elk...
Also my first frontal shot... :)

cnelk

Postby RockChucker30 » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 19]

I got a bull last year and the meat is wonderful, so yes, I'd shoot a cow.

Now, a couple of qualifications....I don't know that I'd shoot a cow on the first day. I enjoy hunting too much. And I don't know that I'd shoot a cow back where I was last year unless I had some serious help getting it out.
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 20]

I have shot cows and will again if circumstances warrant (darn good eating). The ID area I hunted last year, and will again this year, is bull only so a cow is not a consideration. I'll get out for a few days in the early season in WA but where I hunt, but won't take a cow unless it's an easy pack. For me, it's all about getting close to the bulls.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Broken arrow » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 21]

Yep even 5 minutes into a hunt. I am a meat eater.
Broken arrow

Postby Sean D. » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 22]

I have never killed a cow, but that doesnt mean I wont! If things dont look good for getting a bull this year the last week will be any legal elk is a dead elk. I have got use to having elk whenever I want and Im dreading the year that I dont get one and run out of meat!
Sean D.

First Name: Sean
Last Name: D

Postby stykbow67 » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 23]

Yep, 1st day,middle day, last day I too am a meat eater!

Steve
stykbow67

First Name: Steve
Last Name: Ehlers

Postby Solitude » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 24]

Oh ya! You can learn a ton by zipping a cow, you paid for the tag and they are way more tasty vs tag soup.
Solitude

Postby BarW » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 25]

First legal elk I have a tag for gets stuck. I like chasing big bulls but there's always someone in camp I can call for.
BarW

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Wiggins

Postby otcWill » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 26]

Last year I made the committment to myself to not shoot a cow or a small bull and after 18 days in Colorado I ate my tag. I guess I'll have to eat a few tags if I'm commited to killing only big bulls. Luckily I buy a leftover reduced price cow tag for Wyoming and I've got that as an insurance tag. So, sure I'll shoot a cow, just depends on the circumstances. Likely not on the first day or week of my CO otc hunt.
otcWill

Postby dreamingbig » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 27]

I do out of necessity. The unit I hunt is cow or spike only unless you draw a bull tag which I have only had one in 11 years.
dreamingbig

Postby mtnmutt » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 28]

I prefer a cow because
1) I hear they taste better than bulls, but I do not have firsthand experience on the taste claim
2) I am a solo hunter and can only carry up to 50 lbs and probably less if I am fatigued and needed to play it safe hiking out. cow=less pack out trips
3) I have both tags (either sex and anterless), so I can always spend the rest of the season chasing bulls
mtnmutt

Postby buglmin » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 29]

LOl...I have nothing against guys that shoot cows, but its not for me. Its been over 12 years since I shot a cow, and after I shot her, I regretted it! I love elk meat, and know if I hunt hard enough, I'll get my chance at the type of bull I want. Its just not that important to me to kill just any elk, and I dont shoot raghorn bulls either.
buglmin

Postby scrubs » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 30]

I have, and will again shoot one.
scrubs

First Name: Brett

Postby BowKill » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 31]

Yep I'll shoot one, but again it depends on where I'm at. In a deep nasty hole miles from the truck or nearest road? Probably not, when I'm that remote the horns really help motivate me. I killed a doe the last evening of my deer hunt this year, always fun and always a trophy with a bow.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (168.64 KiB) Viewed 13420 times
BowKill

First Name: Wes

Postby easeup » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 32]

chasing big bulls ..of course that is more fun.
a nonres hunter has to be realistic on his OTC opportunities.
A cow or doe?
yes sir.
my freezer has seen a few over the years.
no regrets.
when I let go of the arrow.....the heart is very happy.
easeup

Postby dotman » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 33]

Sure but this year I'll be with Rory so no cows for us :). But if we all tag out early I'm talkin him into going over to MT and that will be a meat hunt :)
dotman

Postby Trophyhill » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 34]

i'm not shy, i've killed several cows in my short elkhunting career. cows are always on the menu when i have an ES tag in my wallet. i don't have anything to prove to anyone. now that being said........bulls are always on the menu too and they get the utmost attention from me :!:
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby JimKirk » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 35]

if you are a non resident elk hunter in a state for a week I'd say you d increase your odds 10 fold of getting an animal. for every onc bull I get on camera i get 10 to 15 cows. so I'd say if you are public land hunting i'd sure recommend 1st legal elk especially with archery gear. it just depends on a person's goals but those cows sure are tasty.
JimKirk

First Name: kirk

Postby planebow » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 36]

I am hoping for an extra cow tag this year again. Will not hesitate taking a cow. If I get a cow early that leaves the rest of the season to chase bulls and no pressure to put meat into the freezer.
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby Moose-head » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 37]

I would love to connect with a cow. I might think twice if it is a long way from the truck though
Moose-head

First Name: Dana

Postby Trophyhill » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 38]

Trophyhill wrote:i'm not shy, i've killed several cows in my short elkhunting career. cows are always on the menu when i have an ES tag in my wallet. i don't have anything to prove to anyone. now that being said........bulls are always on the menu too and they get the utmost attention from me :!:

there was a bull with this cow in northern NM when i sent an arrow thru the v at 40 yards but he was on the other side of the meadow in the trees and with daylight leaving rapidly i did not hesitate :)
Attachments
cow 2010.jpg
cow 2010.jpg (30.37 KiB) Viewed 13406 times
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby Da White Shoe » 03 14, 2013 •  [Post 39]

I've shot a few cows... didn't mind doing it either.
I do tend to pass the cows until the very end of the hunt, even in OTC areas.
I am always thinking "bulls"... the cows, for me, aren't part of the game I'm up there to play, so shooting one doesn't occur to me very often.
Da White Shoe

First Name: zane

Postby pointysticks » 03 14, 2013 •  [Post 40]

those that have. do the cows taste better?

my current meat bull, is might tasty. i would love "Even better".
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby elkmtngear » 03 14, 2013 •  [Post 41]

pointysticks wrote:those that have. do the cows taste better?

my current meat bull, is might tasty. i would love "Even better".

I've killed several cows over the years, and never found them to be any better than any bulls I've killed. Just my experience, it all eats good!

Then again, I've never killed a calf.......... ;)
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby aron » 03 14, 2013 •  [Post 42]

this year will be my first elk hunt and backpack hunt so I would for the experience and the meat. Doubt I would the first couple days of the hunt but after that, its fair game.
aron

First Name: Aron

Postby mongopino915 » 03 14, 2013 •  [Post 43]

During archery season, both bull and cow taste about the same = pretty good. But during rifle after the rut, some of the more mature bulls are kind of smelly (JMO).

Always donate $$ for a class B tag (second cow elk archery OTC tag) just in case. Passed on some cows as the hike back to the truck was just a little too rugged and far. Ended dropping a cow much closer to the truck the following week. It's great having two tags in wood and still looking to drop both in the same area, herd, and time.

Never really just focused on cow hunting though.
mongopino915

Postby Lefty » 03 14, 2013 •  [Post 44]

My 3rd archery year hunting I killed a cow.
I really enjoy being out in the field I do and will pass on cows the first 3 times out, We generally can put enough meat in the freezer one way or another.
I have really caught the feaver, the hunt itself is important to me,.. time in the field ,... time with family

And a bull has gotten to be important to me,.. dont know why just is
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Clip-Shot » 03 14, 2013 •  [Post 45]

Before I started archery hunting around 14 years ago, I would not hesitate at the first opportunity at a cow. Therefore, I rarely had an opportunity at any bull. I felt the same way when I started archery hunting. However, it took 4 years of learning what not to do before I released an arrow at any elk. Happened to be in the right place at the right time and I may never top that first bull around here. A 7x9 that scored a little over 350 and was the major reason I made a small custom camera holder to carry the following year. Some places just don’t have any rocks or stumps within dragging distance to perch a camera on for that in the field memory. Anyway, the following year, I did have one opportunity at a cow, but with plenty of meat still in the freezer, I held out for a bull… and came up empty. The next year I was closing in on a cow, when a 5 point came into view and I was able to connect with him instead. Since then, my trend of every other year seems to have established a pattern. One year I drew a late season riffle tag for a cow, but my intent was to fill that tag with my bow. It took some ingenuity with the cold weather and all, and by the first part of January, I was forced to became creative near a logging operation. I was successful with my bow, and learned some valuable lessons. I was also thankful for all the snow when it came to recovering what I thought was a perfect shot an hour before dark the night before. Since then, I have got a couple rag horns, and a couple mature bulls, but mostly because things just worked out that way.
I’ll have to admit though, in the last few years I’m more reluctant when it comes to just any cow. In my part of western Montana, things have been severely impacted by steadily increasing predator numbers. In archery season, the calves are still pretty small, and I would not want to contribute to what would likely happen to a young calf left behind around here.
Clip-Shot
Site Sponsor

First Name: Lyn
Last Name: Wilson

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 03 15, 2013 •  [Post 46]

cnelk wrote: I do frown a little on those who shoot calfs. :o

I have shot 3 yummy calves over the years...

Turn that frown upside down! :)

:o :shock: :)
JohnFitzgerald

Postby wawhitey » 03 15, 2013 •  [Post 47]

im going to be hunting at a wallow from the ground with a home made wooden longbow this year. that being said, id love some antlers, but i wont even think twice about shooting the first cow that comes into range. at least for me, head gear standards are for deer hunting.
wawhitey

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 15, 2013 •  [Post 48]

[quote="JohnFitzgerald"][quote="cnelk"] I do frown a little on those who shoot calfs. :o

John I hope your face don't set up that way. But just to give you something to think about, I'll be drawing an anterless tag again this year. And depending on how much meat is still in the freezer, I'll either be shooting a calf, yearling cow, or a dry cow.

So you have all summer to think about it. Maybe if you practice smiling once a week or so, that frown won't take a perminate set. LOL!
>>>---WW---->

Postby Teton Jon » 03 16, 2013 •  [Post 49]

This is my first year elk hunting so yes I want a bull. Ido have the advantage of living about 15 to 20 minutes from the parking spot where I will be hunting so it's not like I'm an out of stater with only a week to hunt. I also have a couple of people that can help out with locations if things start to get a little thin at the end of the season. If push comes to shove I will definately fill the tag though.
Teton Jon

First Name: Jonathan
Last Name: Howard

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 03 16, 2013 •  [Post 50]

>>>---WW----> wrote:
JohnFitzgerald wrote:
cnelk wrote: I do frown a little on those who shoot calfs. :o

John I hope your face don't set up that way. But just to give you something to think about, I'll be drawing an anterless tag again this year. And depending on how much meat is still in the freezer, I'll either be shooting a calf, yearling cow, or a dry cow.

So you have all summer to think about it. Maybe if you practice smiling once a week or so, that frown won't take a perminate set. LOL!

:) :x :) :x :) :x :) :x :) :x :) :x :) :x :) :x :) :x :) :x :) :x :) :x :) :x

Practice for the week is done.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby flystrait » 03 16, 2013 •  [Post 51]

I hunt OTC public land DIY and I have never had a chance or opportunity to shoot anything but bulls. I will pass on anything less than a mature bull not by alter size but by age. I believe it is dictated mostly by the style of the way a person hunts. As I think about it, maybe there has been a opportunity or two for a cow or calf but honestly I can't remember since I focus so intensely on the bulls. To each there own, this is just what I do. Success is measured differently by everyone. I say do what makes you feel successful.

CK
flystrait

Postby MichaelD » 03 17, 2013 •  [Post 52]

pointysticks wrote:my victory dance is exactly the same if i arrow a bull or a cow. i know..i've practiced both :)

Yep, I practice all year visualizing a cow or bull while practicing my shooting, either will do in the summer months of practice and either will do well in the fall when going after the real thing.
MichaelD

Postby bnsafe » 03 17, 2013 •  [Post 53]

i didnt read all 52 posts, but i will tell you i will shoot a cow in a heartbeat, a doe mulie in a heartbeat, o doe antelope in a heartbeat. ok maybe not the goat, but other than that im all in. if i had ever taken a couple of would not, but ive never taken an elk or mulie so doesnt matter to me.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott