Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Full moon and elk hunting

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Full moon and elk hunting

Postby 8upbowhunter » 03 18, 2013 •  [Post 1]

My buddy and I are leaving on September 12th and returning home on September 29th on a DIY elk bow hunt. This will be my first elk hunt and his 3rd (2nd DIY) My question is we will be there through the full moon so what should we expect as far as elk patterns during a full moon? I know hunting whitetail we see more mid day movement so should I expect the same for elk? Any help or tips for hunting them during the full moon are appreciated.
8upbowhunter

Re: Full moon and elk hunting

Postby Swede » 03 18, 2013 •  [Post 2]

The elk will be coming into the rut period. The rut pattern of behavior will dominate what elk will be doing. As nearly every hunter has or will say, never mind the moon. Just go hunting. I know it is coincidence, but I have killed more elk during the full moon than at any other time. Last summer I killed my bull on August 30th and my hunting companion killed a nice buck deer about ten minutes earlier.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 18, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Here's my take on it. You have picked an excellent time frame for your hunt. As Swede indicated, the rut trumps the moon. I believe warm weather has more influence on elk than the moon. Elk just plain don't like heat. And as soon as the sun peeks over the horizon on a 90 degree day, they head for cover. So your prime hunting time is shortened up a bunch. During really hot weather, a greater amount of rut activity may happen during the cooler night time hours. And just because you are not seeing it so much, doesn't mean it isn't happening.

The timing of the moon phase is easy to predict. Knowing what the daytime temperatures will be is a guessing game at best.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby elkmtngear » 03 18, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I agree with Bill and Swede....weather and timing trumps Moon phase. Your timing is excellent, so the real variable is weather, which is basically out of your hands.
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby 8upbowhunter » 03 18, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Thanks for the replies. We tried to plan our hunt in or as near to the rut as possible. I just happened to check the moon phase out of curiosity and noticed the full moon cycle right in the middle of our hunt. Come on September!!!!!!!
8upbowhunter