Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk Plan, 2013.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk Plan, 2013.

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 10, 2013 •  [Post 1]

So elknuts, what are your plans for this fall? We're much closer to the fall elk season than we were a month ago.. In fact, it's getting pretty darn close! I'm gonna hunt for 5 days in the WA early season (cow/3 point or better bull area) then on to ID for the last two weeks of September. Plans are solidifying for Dotman (fellow elknut) to make the trek from KC, KS to come hunt with me this year in the Gem State. A couple of my seasoned WA buddies will be in our elk squad and as teams of two, it should provide the ability to hit a good chunk of landscape in an attempt to bring a few sets of horns out (bull only area). It's the second year I've hunted the area in ID so God willing and the creeks don't rise, we'll be into singers daily and be successful.

I'm shooting for getting my WA buddy Duke his first elk with a bow in WA. For ID, the goal is to have to make several trips out to take boned meat to a local processor in XXXXXX, Idaho ;)

Whadda are your plans for this fall? Location, fellow hunters, goals. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Elk Plan, 2013.

Postby Swede » 04 10, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I am looking at a couple of scouting trips now. I need to finalize plans with my son at the end of this month. I am sure that I will be back into familiar haunts in the early season, but Luke wants to also do a call hunt for at least the last week. If I have my elk by then, I am the caller only, which suits me fine. If I don't have my elk, then I am still the caller, which still suits me fine. Where we do our call hunts depends on what we see on our scouting trip.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby JJ Overkill » 04 10, 2013 •  [Post 3]

lots of veriables for me yet. maybe talk swede into letting me hang out by his stand :lol: j/k swede.

i put my son and myself in for a draw unit. if that doesnt pan out then its an otc tag. either way there will be some scouting weekends for the family. it also depends on if trophyhill and gs draw or not. if they dont draw as well then im sure ill be in for one heck of an elk season. regaurless of what happens im getting amped up. just waiting for results to really sit down at the sand table and work out a plan of attack and logistics. cant wait for the recon missions though.
JJ Overkill

First Name: jeremy

Postby LckyTylr » 04 11, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I'm just gearing up for fitness mode here in the next two weeks. I'll admit it, I'm a fair weather fitness guy, I don't enjoy running AT ALL . . . and I'm certainly not going to do it in the wind or the rain. The mountain bike trails mostly aren't open yet because of the snow and rain in the last few months, so I'm trying not to get too ahead of myself.

I'm going to be hunting the same area I tried to hunt last year before the fire kicked me out. I'll need to do some more scouting trips because I don't know what is left after the burn. Shouldn't be too bad looking at GE.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby Indian Summer » 04 11, 2013 •  [Post 5]

My chips are on Wyoming this year since it went so well last season. I'll go out in late August and rent a couple horses for the 5 hour ride and try to get lots done. Cache some gear, cut some wood, look for any signs of human activity including the local sheep herder.... then scout. I'm gun hunting it because I had plans to be in Kansas for giant whitetails all of the 2nd half of September but now that fell through. I have my Xs on the map and just to lay my eyes on the place will be exhilarating! As soon as I'm done I'll throw my quarters in the truck and head to the Bitterroot up in Montana which is 8 or so hours away. The only person who I'll let procees my meat if I don't do it is up there. I'll drop that off, drop my skull at Big Sky Beetleworks, buy a wolf tag, and go into predator mode for a week while visiting friends and family in elk camp. I'm hoping to get a full body mount of a big black silver tipped wolf. We have lots of that color phase where I hunt wolves. Of course any big one or two or three will do.

Good luck to everyone!

And don't let me log on to see a thread about one of you getting hurt somehow and ruining your elk season!!! Those are depressing stories.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby easeup » 04 11, 2013 •  [Post 6]

still waiting on the draw results down here.
However, if I do not draw out, there is always the OTC over in CO. I have my eye on some new OTC country in CO. If that is how it plays out, I can trailer up the ponies for a packin hunt and hope to locate some action. It will be a grand ol' time either way and I cannot wait.
easeup

Postby 6.5City » 04 11, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Brother and I are heading into a Wilderness area in Colorado the second week of September for our 3rd year of backpacking in. The plan is to spend 6 nights trying to fill a tag.

Before that, have some personal goals to get me ready for season, have a half marathon this saturday, olympic distance triathlon in May and IronMan Kansas in June. Our dad won't be with us this year so we have no excuses as to why we couldn't make it to a certain spot this year. Now if I could only train for the altitude.

I can't wait to make the drive West.
6.5City

First Name: Michael

Postby BrentLaBere » 04 11, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Still waiting on the Montana draw results. I applied for limited entry and if I don't get that I will be heading into the south west part of the state. I plan on hunting the first 10 days of the season. Family wedding is really putting a hurt in my plans this year. I was suppose to go with two other buddies but we will see how it plays out.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby bowpackerrob » 04 11, 2013 •  [Post 9]

As usual put in for 2 units for first and second choice in New Mexico for first muzzleloader and third choice bow which I should have a decent chance at the bow tag, then back to Colorado to hunt from my cabin near Moffat. About 4 1/2 months to go regardless.
bowpackerrob

First Name: Robbie
Last Name: Crocker

Postby elkmtngear » 04 11, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Flat Tops again for me, I gotta go back to where I know I can find elk in less than optimum conditions.

I'll be taking along a new hunting partner this Season, a good buddy from North Carolina who shoots for a couple of TV Shows. He'll be bringing video gear (and I'll have my HD Camcorder), so I hope we get some good footage; unfortunately he only has 7 days to hunt....so if it gets down to the wire, I'm prepared to hang quarters, drive him back to the airport, and go back in to get it out. Yeah that's how it will go, I have it all worked out in my head :lol:

I hope all your hunting plans go through this Season!
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby >>>---WW----> » 04 11, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Jeff: Sounds like you'll be fairly close to my homestead. Stop by and we'll tell some lies over a cup of coffee.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby dotman » 04 11, 2013 •  [Post 12]

My plan is to be a pack mule in XXXXXX, ID. :)
dotman

Postby elkmtngear » 04 11, 2013 •  [Post 13]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Jeff: Sounds like you'll be fairly close to my homestead. Stop by and we'll tell some lies over a cup of coffee.

Bill, I'm in! You have freezer space? :D
Best of Luck,
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby wideangle » 04 11, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Put in for an archery draw in Oregon that has good bulls and whitetails plus some decent fishing water.
Good grouse population too.
Will set up camp for 30 days this year since I retired.
wideangle

First Name: Joseph

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 11, 2013 •  [Post 15]

dotman wrote:My plan is to be a pack mule in XXXXXX, ID. :)

If all goes well, we'll have multiple human mule pack trips out of those alder jungles during the course of our stay :)..
WapitiTalk1

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 04 11, 2013 •  [Post 16]

Back to our usual elk camp in Colorado for the entire archery season plus the 4 days early for setting up and scouting.
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby >>>---WW----> » 04 11, 2013 •  [Post 17]

]

Bill, I'm in! You have freezer space? :D[/quote]

Sure, I always have at least one freezer worked down before elk season.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby elkmtngear » 04 11, 2013 •  [Post 18]

>>>---WW----> wrote:]

Bill, I'm in! You have freezer space? :D

Sure, I always have at least one freezer worked down before elk season.[/quote]

OK Now it's getting serious....sending you a PM !
Best of Luck,
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby dapper » 04 11, 2013 •  [Post 19]

My son and I are returning to Colorado. Backpack into the same wilderness area we did last year. The trip will again be for 14 days, the last two weeks of September.
dapper

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Behring

Postby ctdad » 04 11, 2013 •  [Post 20]

Going to Montana to a new area this year. I have a scouting trip planned for the last week in June to check it out. Can't go later in the summer due to work so I'll go in June. Then probably back the last 12 days of September.
ctdad

Postby baddaddy » 04 11, 2013 •  [Post 21]

Will be in the same area as last year in Colorado.
baddaddy

Postby planebow » 04 11, 2013 •  [Post 22]

I am planing to hunt the first two weeks in the breaks of eastern MT and then if no luck will try my luck here in north west MT
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby Indian Summer » 04 12, 2013 •  [Post 23]

Just a thought: You guys hunting the 1st two weeks may want to consider bringing a tree stand or 2 along. If it's really hot out things can be quiet and mid day action seemingly non-existent. In that position I revert to whitetail hunting tactics. It's better than scratching your head or running around in desparation spooking your elk.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby FemoralArchery » 04 12, 2013 •  [Post 24]

Phantom16 wrote:

If all goes well, we'll have multiple human mule pack trips out of those alder jungles during the course of our stay :)..

I wonder if I will run into you guys, I will also be hunting in XXXXXX, ID.
FemoralArchery

First Name: Adam

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 12, 2013 •  [Post 25]

FemoralArchery wrote:
Phantom16 wrote:

I wonder if I will run into you guys, I will also be hunting in XXXXXX, ID.

Dang it.. somebody else hunting on the outskirts of Jereome, ID ;)
WapitiTalk1

Postby FemoralArchery » 04 12, 2013 •  [Post 26]

Eastman's said that was the elk mecca of the West. So naturally I am going there.
FemoralArchery

First Name: Adam

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 12, 2013 •  [Post 27]

FemoralArchery wrote:Eastman's said that was the elk mecca of the West. So naturally I am going there.

Great.. now you've really spilled the beans. Eastman's staff, you, me, and everyone else will be at the same spot this year.. Jerome will be like "Woodstock" only with elk hunters. Geesh..
WapitiTalk1

Elk Plan, 2013.

Postby Huntography » 04 12, 2013 •  [Post 28]

I'll be filming and hunting in Colorado all archery season.

Archery elk can't get here soon enough.

Rudy
Huntography
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy

Postby Willie makit » 04 13, 2013 •  [Post 29]

I struck out on my best "odds" draw for AZ, still a couple draws to go but looking like I need to add one of those " Swiss Mountaineer hats" to my gear list and start researching OTC.
Willie makit

First Name: Thomas