Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Book Report

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Book Report

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 12, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Tree Stand Hunting Rocky Mountain Elk by John Erickson. Well, I've had this book for about 6 months now and have got to say, it's eye opening to say the least. Forget the NY Times best sellers and do yourself a favor and spend the 15 bones to pick this thing up as you'll get more out of it. After I've read, re-read, and re-read this book, I'm beginning to think the author may have been born in a tree stand overlooking an elk watering hole ;).. No detail is overlooked from wind, cover, tree angle, time of day, sign, time of year, scents, decoy use, etc., etc. I picked it up because I thought tree standing may be the ticket in some of the thick areas I hunt but had no idea it would be as good as it is. If you've spent any time at all in the elk woods, you'll continually find yourself saying "yep" as you thumb through the pages. I've spent minimal time tree stand hunting anything but honestly, this has got to be the best instructional guide out there for tree stand hunting elk.. Heck, you can't even take your wife out to dinner for 15 bones :D
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Book Report

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 04 13, 2013 •  [Post 2]

With all the hunting pressure, I have added tree stand hunting over wallows to my tactics. What made me fall in love with elk hunting was hearing them and calling them in, but hunting from the stand has filled my tag for several years now and my bad knees appreciate the break. :roll:
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby Trophyhill » 04 13, 2013 •  [Post 3]

If you'll pack a stand in 3-5 miles for me I'll buy it :)
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 04 13, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Trophyhill wrote:If you'll pack a stand in 3-5 miles for me I'll buy it :)

My best wallow is less than a 1/2 mile from camp. ;) I also started using my pack frame for hauling my tree stand and has been a lot easier on the back and shoulders.
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby bnsafe » 04 13, 2013 •  [Post 5]

if i can find the right spot this is something im gonna spend some serious time doing. im hoping to find the right waterhole and hang a stand for the labor day weekend opener.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby rudyc » 04 13, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I just finished the book myself, it's nice to have a "plan B"
John puts all the information down in a very easy to understand manner.
Now to find a nice tree in just the right spot to hang a stand in.
rudyc

First Name: Rudy
Last Name: C

Postby wideangle » 04 13, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I have this book and I have learned much.
When we put up trail cams last year the water holes closest to the roads had the most action.
For sure at night but several times we had shots of bull elk, bear and cougar at the water hole(s) in the afternoon.
Tree saddles are getting some attention here for elk hunting since they are easy to pack in and out.

http://bowhuntingwildfood.com/whitetails-the-eberhart-way-basics-tree-saddle-mobility/
wideangle

First Name: Joseph

Postby horseshoe » 04 15, 2013 •  [Post 8]

While tree stand hunting is something I plan on leaving in the whitetail "box" back east, I bought Swede's book as he knows his elk!

I know I can learn a lot of general elk info from him and just may have to open that box and use a stand set-up if my plan to run and gun (with the bow) doesn't pan out.
horseshoe

Postby Teton Jon » 04 15, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I had this book at one time also. Tons of info and a great read.
Teton Jon

First Name: Jonathan
Last Name: Howard

Postby cnelk » 04 15, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I want one.

Where do I get it?
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby horseshoe » 04 15, 2013 •  [Post 11]

elknut sells them.....listed with the playbook in the elknut store. go to the home page.
horseshoe

Postby Swede » 04 15, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Cnelk: I thought you already had at least one of those books. If I had known you still did not have one, I would have treated you a lot nicer. Oh well; it's too late, so I might as well pitch you some more garbage. You and John F. are off the hook for a while now, as I am onto Indian Summer, as you can see on his thread on the Doc's Office forum. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby planebow » 04 15, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Been going to order this book for some time so when I read this I ordered one and it is on the way. I think it might be a big help in the area that I hunt.
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 15, 2013 •  [Post 14]

For those of you that don't know, the author of the book I mentioned is a frequent contributor of the Elknut forum. His book is obviously a culmination of many years of doing what he does.... successfully. I don't care if you tree stand hunt for elk or not, for the price, the book and knowledge contained therein is worth much more than the asking price. If you don't know who he is, here's a hint, he has a unique sense of humor and his forum name rhymes with heed ;)
WapitiTalk1

Postby JGH » 04 16, 2013 •  [Post 15]

So ... I've got ElkNut's Playbook, and Swede's Treestand Hunting Elk.

Both very helpful.

Question is ...

When is cnelk's book coming out? I'm expecting the last part of the trilogy to be the best.
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Postby cnelk » 04 16, 2013 •  [Post 16]

JGH

I appreciate the compliment!
But I believe I will dedicate my efforts teaching my kids 'the way of the woods'.

If I ever did write a book, it would be filled with all of the mistakes I have made - and it would be a big book with them! :)

I will continue to post here any pester Swede... :)
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 16, 2013 •  [Post 17]

cnelk wrote:JGH

I appreciate the compliment!
But I believe I will dedicate my efforts teaching my kids 'the way of the woods'.

If I ever did write a book, it would be filled with all of the mistakes I have made - and it would be a big book with them! :)

I will continue to post here any pester Swede... :)

I'd buy your book cnelk; during weekdays and twice on Sundays. I've learned a lot from your threads/posts.. Glad to see your procedure went well and wish you the best in your recovery. RJ
WapitiTalk1