Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

GPS mark names

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

GPS mark names

Postby JGH » 04 23, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I think this is reason enough for its own thread --

I come across stuff to mark with my GPS ... wallows, ponds, gates ... and they need a name.

Every time, it sort of stops me when that machine asks for a name. I want something clever, relevant, meaningful ... so that I can tell the story about how I was at "Such-and-such Springs" or something.

But I can never come up with much. So I get a bunch of GPS names like "001" and "002". Boring.

I'm thinking of using President's names, or something like that. ("I'm headed over to Fillmore to sit on the wallow. If you don't hear from me by 10 pm I'll be there or over at Jackson.")

Just a thought. Anyone have unique ways to name "spots"?

(OK ... I've got cabin fever. So sue me!)
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Re: GPS mark names

Postby Swede » 04 23, 2013 •  [Post 2]

We name our spots using names for something significant about the location. Sometimes it is difficult on the spot to come up with a name, so we may change it when we make a special connection. Sometimes the names are weird. My son and a friend named on spring/wallow "Shart". One of the two was having problems with their digestive tract when they got to this location. They were not sure what would come out next. I will let you figure out the rest. None of the names mean anything to anyone but those who hunt with us.
"Spike" is probably my favorite tree stand location. We have killed a lot of elk there. It is our most consistent hunting location. The first elk we ever saw there was a spike. Even though that spike lived to do whatever spikes do, the first elk killed there was also a spike.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby cnelk » 04 23, 2013 •  [Post 3]

The next spot I need a name for is gonna get named.... 'SWEDE' :)
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Swede » 04 23, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Cnelk: If you do that, then hang in there and kill a monster. That way a Swede will be associated with a huge bull. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 23, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Nothing too elaborate for me. I carry a map with me always so my GPS points relate to the map land features and I use a lot of abbreviations. For example, DC TH 293 is Doe Creek Trailhead, trail # 293; INT TR 293/654 is the intersection of those two trails; SPR CRK WLW 2 is a wallow in Spar Creek; PCK TRL FS RD 193 - DVL GCH is a pack trail from FS Road 193 to Devil's Gulch. As long as they make sense and relate to a map feature or features, it serves the purpose for me.. Just my .02.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby elkmtngear » 04 23, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I had "wallow" and "wallow2" and "wallo" and "walloe"
...I was running out of ways to spell the same thing.

So pretty soon I started giving uniques names like "elkheaven" , "elkcity" and "elkoasis"

If someone else found my GPS, they would be screwed.
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 23, 2013 •  [Post 7]

elkmtngear wrote:I had "wallow" and "wallow2" and "wallo" and "walloe"
...I was running out of ways to spell the same thing.

So pretty soon I started giving uniques names like "elkheaven" , "elkcity" and "elkoasis"

If someone else found my GPS, they would be screwed.

Ahh... good plan :)..
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby mtnmutt » 04 23, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I use something like phantom's approach.

All my waypoints start with a 2 letter designation identify that area so all waypoints for it are sorted together in the GPS' waypoint list.
Examples
MG - Miller Gulch
MG - MG Y G Tr1: Miller Gulch Y Game Trail 1
MG 4E Bed - miller gulch where there were 4 distinct elk bed spots in grass
MG car
MG camp
MG TH - Miller Gulch Trailhead
MG food - where the bear bag is hanging in a tree
ER - Elmo Ridge
ER 4E 12p: Elmo Ridge 4 Elk spotted at 12 pm.

Using codes or patterns in names helps me to quickly identify what the waypoint names mean, otherwise, my little itty bitty brain cannot remember.
mtnmutt

Postby easeup » 05 04, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I think I will start naming a few after the colorful characters here on the forum. Now how fun is that!
easeup

Postby dapper » 05 05, 2013 •  [Post 10]

For elk hunting I just labeled them easy names like ambush1, wallow1, etc. At home on the public hunting grounds for whitetails I use a system so when I'm scouting and find a stand site it can be marked and later be used under the right conditions. A typical way point would be 82BRCAP.

The 82 represents the allowable wind direction. Going clockwise N is 1, NE is 2, E is 3, etc and the last one NW is 8. So 82 means any wind from Northwest around to Northeast will work.
The "B" represents the weapon, in this case a Bow. A "G" would be gun and an "E" would be either.
The R represents the season, Rut (other letters would've been "E"early, "L"late, "A"any).
The "C" tells me to bring my climber, "H" would be Hang-on with steps, "G" from the ground.
The "A" is for when I believe it to be the best, am, "P" would be for pm and "E" for either.
The "P" stands for promising, I should definitely hunt it a few times.
If there is a number at the end,(in the above case there isn't) like "2", it just means its the second waypoint with the same features.

So when I reach a large public hunting grounds that I have scouted and I'm wondering what my options are, I can fire up the gps to find my options using the wind direction. Later after using a spot a number of times I may change it so it moves out of the the more indexed numbers. Usually in my gps case I have a little code sheet in case I have a brain fart while finding a spot.

This spring I've been breaking in a new pair of elk boots, so I'm finding more spots to check out.
dapper

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Behring