Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

One horse

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

One horse

Postby JGH » 04 24, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Anyone else hunt with horses?

I have several, but generally would use only one at a time (rather than do the whole pack-string thing). Generally, whether camping or hunting, I prefer to walk in with one animal wearing a riding saddle with saddle panniers. They can carry more than I can, but then when we get there, I can use them for carrying ... me.

I'm not settled, though, on taking a horse this year. The options are to have Wife help pack camp in, then take the horses home (and hopefully return for me at some point) ... or take a horse in and use it daily to access "This Drainage" or "That Ridge". The trouble is, even where feed is plentiful, horses require time. Almost like kids -- they can make your trip so much better, yet they take a lot of effort.

So ... does anyone else out there hunt with a single horse during archery season to cover more ground?
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Re: One horse

Postby easeup » 04 24, 2013 •  [Post 2]

There is nothing like a good horse in new country
Augustus McCrae,

I say no. Simply because I am trying to quit hunting by myself so much. It is time to pass it on for me as the young man has left.
If I gotta take one, it is no more problem to take two or three; then I can take another elk crazed friend. :)
And if I hunt by myself I can ride in and out; which is a sweet deal.

However, you are right about spending time to care for them each day.
It is never just one for me. The question is horses or not.
easeup

Postby bnsafe » 04 24, 2013 •  [Post 3]

never done it, but elk huntin with a horse is on my bucket list
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby Swede » 04 24, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I would have no real use for a horse that would merit their time and expense. I guess it depends on where and how you hunt if they are worth it.
I like the wife packing you in then coming back later idea. The added benefit is that you would find out how much she really loves you. On my scale it would go something like this:
1. She is early = there is real love and she misses you a lot.
2. On time = true love.
3. A little late = you may be to perk up the romance.
4. Very late = You are all she can get so she puts up with you.
5. She never shows up = forget it. It is over. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 04 25, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Swede you need to go kill a turkey or something! Cabin fever city?

I never take 1. I can't pack an entire elk on 1 animal. But the real reason: Lots of animals are herd bound. For those of you that don't know what that is it means they always follow the herd, or at least one other animal. Always! I'm sure you know your critters well enough to know which ones are level headed but sometimes out of nowhere you learn a lesson.

I learned mine back in the 80s. Headed out of camp on a horse (not mine) that I'd been riding for 2 weeks. Everything was fine until about 2 miles out. He started whinnying, dancing around in circles, and refused to take another step in any direction except back to camp. He was so loud it likely alerted every elk for miles around. Ever since then I always lead a second animal. Sometimes I don't even saddle it but just throw on a halter and drag him along to give the other one peace of mind.

Besides... I'm such a sucker for animals that I can't help but think: If I was tied up with my nose to a tree would I want to be alone? Heck no I'd much rather have Swede or Phantom tied up to a tree right next to me so we could laugh at each other in our predicament.

One time I was dogging a huge mule deer. Then a herd of elk with 3 giant bulls appeared. Wow huh. I ended up down in a hole and of course they all bailed out up over the top eventually... right past my 2 horses. Within 30 yards! When I got back I saw the tracks, looked at old Leroy with this big ch1t eatin grin on his face and said : Tell me dude.. why do you find that so dang funny" I know that horse better than my wife and I'm telling you he thought that was just hilarious!

Ever have your horse look at you and say "You can lead a human to water but you can't make him drink!" Hardy har har Leroy, keep your day job wise guy!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 04 25, 2013 •  [Post 6]

That is funny Indian Summer. I am not a horse person myself. I don't care for any animal that thinks it would be fun to kick, bite or throw me. Since I don't know any horse well, I assume they all want to give me the treatment. Every cowboy I have ever been around eventually gets busted up by some rogue broomtail. All of them are spending time chasing and finding their stock at times. Sometimes they are gathering up the materials that was supposed to be packed in, but got scattered all over the mountain. What is crazier still, is that as soon as they get healed up, they are right back on another horse. Some horses that are mean go to the auction, but one I know of got shot between the ears with the cowboy still on top. The cowboy was two miles back from the road, and had a tough time getting his rigging off the horse. Then came the pack out. To add insult to the injury, he had to pay the ranch for the horse. At least he was issued a better horse to work with.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby cnelk » 04 25, 2013 •  [Post 7]

With my experiences having hunted elk using horses is that you need to dedicate a huge amount of time to them.
One horse or 5.
I no longer have horses. I love horses greatly as they can become real pals.
I had one for 21 years and actually sold her - TWICE! :)

But in my style of bow hunting now, a horse would be more of a hindrance than a commodity.
Sure its great to have one to pack some meat out, or pack a camp in, but other than that? Hmmmm :)

Not sure if covering MORE ground is what you want sometimes....

But you may have a perfect setup with having your wife drop you off and come get you!
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby buglmin » 04 25, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I dont always use horses to hunt with, mine are only a phone call away, and everyone can catch them, plus the trailer is always kept next to the horses. But when we do go in to hunt far back, its usually with three horses, and we usually keep them in a solar powered electric fence and have no troubles with them. Plus, if they do get out, they will just come into camp, not wanting to leave us.
I've taken my horses to hunt in Utah and AZ, where the toughest thing was making sure you have the proper paper work fo taking them to another state when you go through port of entries. And yessir, you gotta go through port of entries when you take livetock into other states.
When we use horses to pack out game, we ride in and use saddle panyards to carry the meat and we just walk out, no biggy, easy and fast.
The biggest thing bout horses in the back country is knowing the horse and the horse knowing you. Our horses are extremely gentle, only 6 and 7 years old, and love to go, love being on the trail. All the horrors I hear and read about are usually from guys that dont use horses or around horses all the time. I wont put a client on a horse if I dont know the client that well. And I dont lend horses out to no one, including friends. Too much time put into them to have one get injuried.
buglmin

Postby Indian Summer » 04 25, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I totally agree they can be more trouble than they are worth. They require a given amount of your time every day. I'll admit I've spent my fair share of time chasing the bastages around a mountain or two too..... but I've never had much of a problem with a horse or mule that thought he was going to kick or bite me and get away with it.

I have a sort of a Dr Doolittle way of communicating with them. I think they hear it in my voice and if I stare them in the eye for awhile they know I'm watching their every move... so they decide not to make one. I've seen animals single out wussies and take full advantage of the situation. I think any of us would do the same stuff they do so it doesn't really bother me. Some of them have a pretty good sense of humor actually. There are definitely stupid ones and the occasional genius but all in all I enjoy them like a good hunting partner. That said... they are like boats. You like them the most the day you buy them and the day you sell them. I'm glad to be able to say I currently own a total of zero head!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby easeup » 04 25, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Swede wrote:I would have no real use for a horse that would merit their time and expense. I guess it depends on where and how you hunt if they are worth it.
I like the wife packing you in then coming back later idea. The added benefit is that you would find out how much she really loves you. On my scale it would go something like this:
1. She is early = there is real love and she misses you a lot.
2. On time = true love.
3. A little late = you may be to perk up the romance.
4. Very late = You are all she can get so she puts up with you.
5. She never shows up = forget it. It is over. :D

ROLOL!!! fantastic.
OK lets make a deal, if number4 or 5 occurs give me a call to take her off your hands. any woman that has the where for all to catch 'em, trailer up, and come get you is a dang keeper.
easeup

Postby Lefty » 04 25, 2013 •  [Post 11]

We have 2 really well trained horses( and a couple more) If I kill something back in Ill make a phone call
At one time my dream was pack in trips with the family.At that time we werent good enough horseman. Now the kids are into their own thing

If you want the expierince of horses,.. its just a different kind of hunt.
I dont have much time to hunt For packin in and out, sure. Maybe a nice luxery for a nicer camp
Im not that good of a horseman, branches slapping me in the face, a leg too close to a broken branch in the dark,.. nope Ill walk

Now if I didnt know anything about horses, had the money for an wrangler , what a great added hunting expierience.
Me I want to hunt on my own terms,.. not a pack strings,..

Just my opinion
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Da White Shoe » 04 26, 2013 •  [Post 12]

I have been cussing horses for most of my life.
I grew up cussing them.
Been riding 'em since I was 8 years old... been falling off 'em since I was 5 years old.
Owned a few. Sold a few. Borrowed a few. Rented quite a few.
Never killed one, but I have wanted to pretty bad.

I've never lived close enough to elk country that I could call in for my horses when an elk was down.
We've done it a lot of different ways, but I like riding instead of walking when packing in or out.
We regularly pack an elk out on one horse... in one trip. It's heavy, but we take our time and go slow.
One year in Wyoming, we packed out 2 bull moose and 3 bull elk with 5 horses... took 3 trips though.

Had about every wreck you can have with a horse.
Rolled one down a mountainside. Got one stuck in a bog.
Had one buck elk quarters off all along a 300 yard stretch of Wyoming continental divide.
A spooky one freaked out and ran full blast to the end of his stake rope... stretched her out vertical.
Looked like something out of a roadrunner cartoon.

But, to me, it just doesn't really feel like an elk hunt without them.
They do take feeding and watering every day... that can definitely be a hassle sometimes.
I just feel like it is a lot bigger hassle to pack an elk out on my back... but, then again, I've never, ever had to do that. :D
Da White Shoe

First Name: zane

Postby easeup » 04 26, 2013 •  [Post 13]

my kind of hunt white shoe!!!!

adventure and laughs!!!
easeup

Postby JGH » 04 26, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Well, by starting this thread, I didn't really mean to open the "Do you like/hate horses"-lists.

And although I wasn't looking for marriage advice, I'll take it -- thanks, Swede! :lol:

I've done one-man, one-horse hunts quite a bit ... weekend trips, here or there. It helps access country a little faster when pushed for time. I guess I'm lucky ... my horses have remarkably low levels of "herd-boundness" ... but the poster above is right, that can really put an end to things quickly if they holler looking for their buddies.

I am, though, finally leaning toward going without one this year ... and using my own feet, at least until there is something heavy to carry (hopefully). I like my horses, and although they put up with being tied up by themselves, I worry. That, and I have yet to find an acceptable way to carry a bow on a horse. There are "adequate" means of transporting a bow, but not great ones. Now, with a rifle scabbard, the equation changes quite a bit.

I would caution against packing an entire bull elk on one horse at one time, though. Way too much weight. I know it has been done, but lots of horrible things have been done to horses over the centuries. As much as they kick and bite some of you, remember, humans have been mistreating that particular species for thousands of years -- no surprise that they have a little skepticism of us!

As noted above, though, they are great for scouting. A new area on a map might look promising but you may not have a whole lot of time to scout it on foot. Our guys are endurance horses, and do "work-outs" of 20-25 miles regularly. Tough for me to cover that kind of ground in an afternoon on foot.

I have to say, though, that spending time in the backcountry with just a horse, or a dog, preferably both, is one of the best ways to get the junk of everyday life out of a man's head, and lower the stress levels considerably. I recommend it highly.
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Postby easeup » 04 26, 2013 •  [Post 15]

now there you have it JG.

sounds like you need to take the horse to me.

packing a bow...why worry? I insist we take the BH off the shafts or pack them in a pvc pipe ( it would break my heart to stab a pony)

JGH wrote:..........................

I have to say, though, that spending time in the backcountry with just a horse, or a dog, preferably both, is one of the best ways to get the junk of everyday life out of a man's head, and lower the stress levels considerably. I recommend it highly.
easeup

Postby Lefty » 04 26, 2013 •  [Post 16]

JGH wrote:,.....

I will agree with that statement.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby LckyTylr » 04 26, 2013 •  [Post 17]

I sure wish I had the knowhow or the opportunity to gain the knowhow to take horses out on wilderness adventures. I didn't grow up with them, but I have had a lot of educational experiences with horses . . . all end up with me on my back bleeding and gaining more respect for how finicky and powerful they really are.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby Bartfrncs » 04 27, 2013 •  [Post 18]

Well I couldnt access my hunting area without them they are the answer to my Elk hunting desires. I grew up with livestock hated it but that cost me several years of sucsess in the mountains. the getting into out of would not be possible without horses of course there are zero other hunters in there with me guess where the elk are? Anyway I rent the same four horses everyyear. I Feel the best way to learn to use horses in the backcountry is to take a course in it. I spent a month learning to use horses in wilderness conditions by actualy doing it. I learned a lot of stuff that you only learn by doing. So if your qwestion is weather to use them or not the answer is Depends on your hunting style.
Bart
Bartfrncs

First Name: Bart
Last Name: Frncs