Re: when do you go

Postby MTLongdraw » 04 26, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Every possible second I can.
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty

Postby Swede » 04 26, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I am out for the whole enchilata. I prefer the opening days, but it is all good.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby cnelk » 04 26, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I go for opening weekend to get the 'rust out' and to check status of elk conditions.
Then come back to work for 2-3 days [real productive :)] and then go back and hit hard for 10 days.
Give my self a rest for 5 days then hit it hard for 3 day weekends if necessary.

Rut is a good time, pre-rut is a good time too :)
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 04 26, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I usually don't make much of an effort for opening weekend. But after reading Swede's book, I'll be tree stand hunting the first two days. Then, if I don't kill my bull, I'll be chasing bugles the last two weeks.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 04 26, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Swede wrote:I am out for the whole enchilata. I prefer the opening days, but it is all good.

Ditto! We get to elk camp 4 days early (archery) and stay the entire season. Retired 10 years ago and promised myself no more 2 week hunts. I like the 1st week and the last week so this solved my problem. We play a lot more horse shoes the middle 2 weeks. :roll: I have friends from the east that hunt the 1st week, drive home, and come back for the last week. I live on the west coast and would never make that 1000 + mile trip twice in 1 month. $$$$$$$
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby Trophyhill » 04 26, 2013 •  [Post 7]

go early and hopefully don't have to stay late :)
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby Swede » 04 26, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Trophyhill: You make a great point. I am with you on that. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 04 26, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Trophyhill wrote:go early and hopefully don't have to stay late :)

I shot my bull on opening day last year Aug 25th and one on Aug 29th of 2011. I still stayed the entire season to share camp and friendship with my buddies. It's my main and most important hunt of the year, and being a non resident, I want it to last as long as possible. It's a blast just being in camp. The laughs, the food, the friends. Priceless! Filled tag = Bonus
CrazyElkHunter

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 26, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Something like 5-10 SEP in WA and then the last two weeks of SEP in ID. I prefer to hunt during the full on rut but have had success in the earlier part of the season also. Yes sir, it's getting closer ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby ElkNut1 » 04 27, 2013 •  [Post 11]

We're out there opening day, it's Tradition!!!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby eriks. » 04 27, 2013 •  [Post 12]

I know I shouldn't be envious, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't. It would be too cool to have the options that you westerners have. To have the time to spend the entire season like Crazyelkhunter is well...crazy!

I'll be going the last 10 days of the season this year. First time for me and am losing sleep thinking about it.

Here's to x off the days on the calendar!!
eriks.

First Name: erik
Last Name: simmons

Postby elkmtngear » 04 27, 2013 •  [Post 13]

It changes. If I had to pick two weeks, it would be the last two weeks of the Season.

This Year, I'm hunting with a guy who has scheduling issues, so I'm planning to go in Mid-September and hunt 10 days. So I will be pulling out at the beginning of the last week. Not my preference, but I've killed plenty of elk in that time frame, even with the Muzzy hunters out and about.
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby mtnmutt » 04 27, 2013 •  [Post 14]

First 10 days of season, including opening day, and then long weekends after that depending on work and available vacation time.
mtnmutt

Postby bnsafe » 04 27, 2013 •  [Post 15]

im hopin to be out the first 3 days, then plannin on a couple 3 day weekends, then takin the last week of season and goin after the bugles.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 04 28, 2013 •  [Post 16]

eriks. wrote:I know I shouldn't be envious, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't. It would be too cool to have the options that you westerners have. To have the time to spend the entire season like Crazyelkhunter is well...crazy!

I'll be going the last 10 days of the season this year. First time for me and am losing sleep thinking about it.

Here's to x off the days on the calendar!!

Hey Erik, you don't have to be from the west to stay the entire month, you just have to be old or rich. I ain't rich! :? My friend and fellow Mossy Oak pro staffer from Ofallon, Mo, retired just before last season and spent his 1st entire season last year. I hate getting old, but it doe's have it's advantages. ;)
CrazyElkHunter

Postby eriks. » 04 28, 2013 •  [Post 17]

I hear ya Crazyelkhunter! For sure not rich here but getting older every day. The good Lord willing, I'll get to be a ripe, old age...or just old and ripe! I'm glad someone gets to spend the time. I'm in construction and there are autumns that I don't have much work and get to spend a lot of time in the deer woods. So I'm blessed in a lot of ways too. Seems we always want what we can't have-elk nearby that is.

Good luck this season. I'll be thinking and dreaming about the mountains til September.
eriks.

Postby bnsafe » 04 29, 2013 •  [Post 18]

hey eriks, what part of mo you from. we just moved out here from kirksville
bnsafe

Postby Lefty » 04 29, 2013 •  [Post 19]

Im out every Friday night and a day Saturday, the days I can hunt, I hunt
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby eriks. » 04 29, 2013 •  [Post 20]

bnsafe wrote:hey eriks, what part of mo you from. we just moved out here from kirksville

Odessa. I have some friends that live in that area (Danny & Amy Hartwig). He's the regional wildlife biologist out of Kirksville.

So how do you like it there? I've been trying for years to get my wife to move west. Had a thread here "Thinking about moving to Oregon" even. Some great info from some of the elknuts here.
eriks.

Postby bnsafe » 04 29, 2013 •  [Post 21]

hartwig sounds very familiar, im guessin ive met him at some point. colorado is great, but i dont have the time or money to play like i would like :?
bnsafe

Postby eriks. » 04 30, 2013 •  [Post 22]

That's too bad Scott. Maybe you'll find a few days this year to get out and have some fun. I thought I was going to get to do some turkey hunting but work and the weather have made it impossible to get out there. It's been a miserable spring in the Midwest. Going to go from winter to summer in a matter of a few days I'm afraid.
eriks.

Postby bnsafe » 04 30, 2013 •  [Post 23]

usually does. im goin elk huntin alot if i have to quit my job. thats not negotiable. how much i get to hike and scout and fish before then is very much up in the air. but at least im here so i have the chance
bnsafe

Postby mongopino915 » 04 30, 2013 •  [Post 24]

Have not missed opening day yet. Always tried to get 15-18 days in the wood during elk season. Have tried the extended stay during the last two weeks but will do the extended stay the first two weeks this year. Get it done early before the elk get pressured. Hoping to relax in the back doing some calling with no pressure to make it happen comes the last two weeks.
mongopino915

Postby otcWill » 05 01, 2013 •  [Post 25]

Usually hunt at least 20 days of the season but that includes shooting a deer so usually closer to 15-17 days of elk. Always the last 2 weeks of the season tagged out or not! There are always friends to help out!
otcWill

Postby Haulin'Quarters » 05 01, 2013 •  [Post 26]

I usually try to get there 2-3 days before opener to get set up and or pack in. Gives me a little time to some last minute scouting ( glassing) in before go time. The more time in the mountains the better, or away from work for that matter.
Haulin'Quarters

Postby elkoholic » 05 01, 2013 •  [Post 27]

I'm out there hitting it hard from beginning to end...
elkoholic

First Name: Chewy
Last Name: Swatzell

Postby wideangle » 05 02, 2013 •  [Post 28]

We set up a wall tent camp for the season. One of the bennies of being retired.
wideangle

First Name: Joseph

Postby G Posik » 05 02, 2013 •  [Post 29]

Normally make the last two weeks of the season. this year with my work schedule have to go the first two weeks of Colorado bow season. Oh well will be a little bit different.

Glenn
G Posik

First Name: Glenn
Last Name: Posik