Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

So camp is set up, and it's opening day for you...

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby cnelk » 04 27, 2013 •  [Post 1]

What's your game plan?
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Solitude » 04 27, 2013 •  [Post 2]

For me prescouting is not a real option, so it's time to burn some boot leather checking out the honey holes in areas I typically hunt. The loop is only a few miles, a good amount of glassing, and I am confident I will find them. Then let the games begin!
Solitude

Re: So camp is set up, and it's opening day for you...

Postby JJ Overkill » 04 27, 2013 •  [Post 3]

recover from the hang over i always swear i wont repeat next yr :mrgreen:

no not really. it depends on where im hunting and how. ive been at tree line before sun up and other times i wait till dawn to start making my wy up the mountain. opening day its usually up above tree line, glassing, listening and looking to find a herd.
JJ Overkill

First Name: jeremy

Postby Swede » 04 27, 2013 •  [Post 4]

By opening morning I have done all of the scouting I need to do. The game camera pictures have all been analyzed. Stands have all been set. My truck is loaded with my gear that is all prepared also. The men in camp have all discussed where we are all going and we know where everyone will be. If I plan to come back for lunch, then I just grab the snacks and maybe some tea I set out the evening before. If I plan to stay out all day, then I grab the food I prepared the evening before. About the only thing left to chance is, will I have a shot at a good elk, or maybe a deer.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby elkmtngear » 04 27, 2013 •  [Post 5]

By the time I am set up, it will be time for the first evening hunt.

We will be about 2 miles in, and it is less than a mile to a good evening spot that has mixed timber, aspens, and open weed patches. There are often some heavily used wallows near here.

Knowing the elk will probably be coming from their beds on the dark timbered ridges, I will try to get the best wind position possible, and just glass and listen, hoping to get in an ambush situation.

If all the stars are properly aligned, we will see (or hear) elk tonight....maybe in bow range! 8-)
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby mtnmutt » 04 27, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I am a meat hunter, so first legal elk that is not a cow with calf or a calf is hopefully headed to my freezer.

Due to my hearing loss of not hearing elk call back to me, I am trying this new game plan:
    1. first light: ambush setup where the elk travel from feeding to bedding
    9am optionally: pack out meat, get better breakfast and text my brother to tell him to stop laughing at me about my elk hunting. Skip next steps. :D
    2. rest of morning: cold calling along a bench (1.5-3 miles from road 10,500 - 11,000 ft) that has nasty steep stuff above and below it with meadows nearby where elk feed at night
    3. midday: ambush at water near bedding
    4. afternoon: work my way back to morning ambush spot
    5. later afternoon/evening: if no monsoon rains, another ambush setup

next 9 days: rinse and repeat if I see elk, otherwise, go to next location which means moving camp. Opening week is a sweet time for my hunting area and then gets messed up after ML opening day.
mtnmutt

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 27, 2013 •  [Post 7]

In WA early season, head out on pack trail either north or south and see if anybody is home that wishes to play. In ID, late September, head to the spot I heard bugling the night before.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby planebow » 04 27, 2013 •  [Post 8]

The first day for me will be checking the areas that usually hold elk and see what sign is there. Of coarse with the open area that I hunt I will also be glassing for elk also.
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby bnsafe » 04 27, 2013 •  [Post 9]

hopefully im settin up camp the day before the opener. then opening morning im stalking through the timber, opening nite if i can find a good wallow, trail, or watering hole i will be settin on it, if not more still hunting and scouting. man am i ready, my first year in colorado
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby Trophyhill » 04 27, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Run n gun if hunting solo:)Compromising if hunting with a partner:(
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 04 27, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Swede wrote:By opening morning I have done all of the scouting I need to do. The game camera pictures have all been analyzed. Stands have all been set. My truck is loaded with my gear that is all prepared also. The men in camp have all discussed where we are all going and we know where everyone will be. If I plan to come back for lunch, then I just grab the snacks and maybe some tea I set out the evening before. If I plan to stay out all day, then I grab the food I prepared the evening before. About the only thing left to chance is, will I have a shot at a good elk, or maybe a deer.

Dang Swede! You read my daily planner! :D only difference is the truck. Our roads limit us to quads to get to our extended hunting areas. If the wallow and camera near camp doesn't show much sign, I will make my favorite 4 mile loop opening morning and then sit on another wallow down in a basin for the evening hunt. That wallow produces at least 3 bulls a season. Did this routine last year and took a 6x5 opening evening. The year before 4 bulls were hitting the wallow by camp and I took a 6x6 on the 3rd evening.
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby Lefty » 04 28, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Ive made changes every year for the past 4 years.
Ive been scouting the area and know the region elk are feeding and hopefully watering too.
If tracks are north south I move on,.. east west tracks indicate the elk are staying close.
Early season is ussually a handfull of bulls,.. no cows
Depending on the day the season opens depends on what Im doing the first evening. Opening morning will find me glassing over open sage .
Nothing I move fast a couple miles east and glass again into flat low evevation open rangeland
Likly Ive covered a lot of gound by 10:00 Ill head to the blind over water with a book for a nap.
If over 85 degrees I stay at the water till dark
Otherwise Im off glassing looking for a glint of horn or brown in the grass and sage
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H