Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Calling all bulls! Big and small

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Calling all bulls! Big and small

Postby BMF11 » 04 28, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I'm going to premise my question by reminding you that I'm a 2nd year elk hunter with little experience, so just wanting some personal experiences. Do smaller bulls seem to get a bit shy towards calling toward the end of the rut? Possibly from being bullied around by the big boys. Are the smaller bulls more likely to come to calls early in the season or later? When is the best time to call in a bull (spike or stud)? I understand that it's all about the individual animal and timing. Just trying to decide on dates for this years hunt and would like my best chance at calling in a bull, big or small! Later in the rut, do the smaller, satellite bulls have a few cows by now and are content just trying to keep them?
BMF11

First Name: Brady

Re: Calling all bulls! Big and small

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 04 28, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I like the later part of the season when the bulls are more active. Not that they are more callable, but it is easier to find them. ;)

Remember, bulls bugle to advertise themselves. It can be for locating other bulls in the area or showing cow(s) their dominance. They are very social animals, can be very curious, and also have the instinct to rut. Do young bulls get their butts whooped? You bet they do! Do this cause them to go against their instinct.....IMO....no.

With that said, you can hunt any bull, during any time of the season. First part of the season you should rely more on social calls and play the curiosity card. Later part of the season, tactics should be geared towards the bulls attitude and behavior. Usually, the type of response I get to my location bugle tells me what type of mood the bull is in. These later tactics can range from cold call setups, curiosity setups, or aggressive threat setups.

Do you like the social and curiosity setups(early season) or do you like time of year that all tactics can be used(later season)?

Just my 2-cents.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby elkmtngear » 04 29, 2013 •  [Post 3]

In my experience, when you hit the peak rut, the satellite bulls are closely dogging the herd...so they will absolutely come in to aggressive calling. If the Satellites hang up, it may be because there is a big herd bull very close by. We've been burned before when working Satellite bulls, and had a big herd bull sneak in the back door silently.

I've been literally surrounded by vocal bulls in the peak rut, when they are moving their cows to bed. It is the most exciting time to be in the elk woods IMHO.

My first bull was a total dink...a little 3x5. He had one cow, and he came in hot and hard, ready to fight a challenge bugle when we got close to the cow.
I shot him point blank at 8yds. I've witnessed many smallish bulls with just a single cow since then that came in to meet a "rival" bull head on, mostly in the 3rd and 4th weeks of the Season.
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Indian Summer » 04 29, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I'd like to know a few things about where you are hunting to pick dates. Basically... if I was in an area where I thought other hunters were going to be an issue I wouldn't be afraid to hunt the opener. As fars big bulls or little bulls it can be like fishing. Do your best with what you know and reel in whatever hits. But if I had the place to myself and I had to pick ten days it would be somewhere around the 15th to 25th of September. If for some reason those dates didn't work for me I'd push it a little later than sooner.

I cannot wait until this season is under way and we can hear the reports on how all of our newer elk hunters did, what worked, what didn't & why. Good luck Brady.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 05 03, 2013 •  [Post 5]

"Bump" I think this thread needs more answers and opinions. So many of you hunt the early season, let's hear your thoughts! Even if you haven't killed a lot of elk, give use your experience.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 03, 2013 •  [Post 6]

From my experience, bulls seem to "come in" more frequently to various calling techniques earlier in the season when they're herding up... Now, I said more frequently but that doesn't mean a stinky, snotty, mud caked bull will not try to stomp you (or try to woo you if you're making realistic cow chatter) later in the season. As the season progresses and the herds are more established, calling can still be as effective (or perhaps, more effective as elk seem to vocalize more during the later portion of the rut) but you/we/I as a hunter, need to get a bit closer to elicit the desired response. Wapiti are creatures of habit and get ingrained into their recurrent behavior, dependent on the time of the year. Later in the bow season, i.e., the rut in many states, the herding phenomenon is occurring and the group as a whole, establish their bedding, feeding, travel route patterns.... Getting close to these elk during their daily patterns, on the same elevation or ahead of them (using a threat, i.e., an intruding bull or wooing cow sounds) can provide a powerful stimulus to either unglue the herd bull from his ladies, or, bring a satellite in that is tired of sloppy seconds from his current herd situation.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby ElkNut1 » 05 04, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Best time & place to call in a bull is Sept 15-30. The place for best odds is away from the standard hunting pressure per area hunted. In some areas that may be 1/2 mile while others will require 2-3 miles or more. Best without a doubt calling sequence at this time is a "Breeding Sequence" some refer to it as an Elk Party! Imitate this method especially when you know elk are in the area with a "Good Setup" & it can be magic! Good setup implies wind in your favor & favorable cover so elk must come close enough not to see the source of calling outside of your effective bow-range! Younger bulls are what generally show during this technique.

Herd bulls are a different breed from subordinate/satellite bulls. You must work them differently to insure the best odds for success! Threaten a herd bull directly or pose a threat to his harem & you will have his undivided attention. To do this correctly you once again must have the 3 elements that can lead to ones success, #-1 Closeness Inside 100yds - #-2 Threaten Herd Bull - #-3 Threaten His Loss Of Cows! Various methods & techniques can apply here but the ultimate results are the same.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby BMF11 » 05 04, 2013 •  [Post 8]

John, thanks for the bump. I appreciate all of the insight as always too. Thanks again!
BMF11

First Name: Brady