Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Any recommendations on good questions to ask

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Any recommendations on good questions to ask

Postby wewarev » 04 30, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I asked this question over on AT the other day and received some good answers (including Trophyhill) so I thought I'd ask on the forum I probably should have asked it on first...here :).

I'm planning an elk hunt to Colorado either this fall (if everything works out) or next. I have been doing some research on some areas using various web sites (GE, Co Hunting Atlas, AT and here) but want to call the local biologist (or wildlife officer) in the areas I'm looking at.

I understand the importance of good questions and was wondering if any of you had some insight into some good questions to ask. Maybe even a question that would clarify the statistics you've found on the CDOW website.

Thank you for your help in advance...appreciate it!
wewarev

First Name: Rodney

Re: Any recommendations on good questions to ask

Postby Indian Summer » 04 30, 2013 •  [Post 2]

First I'd qualify an area by asking not just about numbers but instead about elk densities. As in... how many per square mile. Once you know that ask about bull to cow ratios and then finish by asking what a good representative bull is for that area.

Then I'd switch to reverse psychology and instead of asking "where's a good place to hunt" I'd ask... where are the places to avoid. The places that look like Wal Mart parking lots. Don't tell him or her you're hell bent on killing an elk but tell him you just want a nice peaceful western experience which hopefully means minimal numbers of other hunters to compte with and the elk will be a bonus. Tell them that you'd like to go where there is some nasty stuff so you can get away from people and earn your elk the old fashioned way by working hard.

Remember biologists work in certain regions so finish by asking him or her if there are any others who they might suggest you call to find what you're looking for. Once you narrow it down to an area you might also consider calling a few people who really want you to kill elk like the local meat processor and taxidermists. Tell them you'd love to be there customer but could use a few tips.

Welcome aboard, good luck & feel free to fire away with any other questions.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby mtnmutt » 04 30, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Not sure how good these questions are, but I wish I had asked these questions last year of a biologists.

How is the drought effecting the elk population in the area: numbers (calf recruitment), movement and distribution.

Last year, my area's first creek was dried, as was the large meadow there. Had to go deeper in to get to water and wet grassy areas. They weren't hanging out last year in that large dried up meadow during legal hours like the year before.

Since CO mountains are having a lot of late snows, you may ask the same questions for our current conditions. Not sure how calf recruitment will be this summer if the mountains keep having these late snows. Probably still below normal snowfall in all CO basins. Maybe little effect because the South facing slopes are probably greening up.
mtnmutt

Postby bnsafe » 04 30, 2013 •  [Post 4]

not sure what to ask, but welcome wew
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby Lefty » 05 01, 2013 •  [Post 5]

After getting a feel for the CO or biologist ask straight up for some specific locations for your style of hunting. Some may even be willing to share landowners who want hunters, so even private ground
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby wewarev » 05 01, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Thanks for the feedback... Appreciate it.
wewarev

Postby easeup » 05 01, 2013 •  [Post 7]

It would be good to also mention when you are going to be there since the elk will move around.
But there is essentially only one real question you want to know, probably. Be sure and ask it straight up.

and if the reply seems not what you would expect, dont be bashfull to ask, what do you mean or wheres that?

be sure and thank them for their time.
easeup

Postby one_elk » 05 01, 2013 •  [Post 8]

In my opinion questions are answered in regards to how much effort has gone into initially covering the basics with the available information, i.e. Indian Summer poses a good question about elk densities for a given game management units (GMU’s) which are subdivisions of data analysis units (DAU’s) so long story short population estimates are based on the DAU, for instance the Elk DAU 1 is divided into two GMU’s 2,201 and the post hunt estimate say is 1170…well you can download the area covered by these two GMU’s and come up with elk densities for that year, you can also do it for multiple years to generate a trend. You can also look at road densities for GMU, private vs public land for the GMU, success rates by GMU by season etc. I think that arming yourself with this kind of information will in general give you a good overview of the your GMU of interest and when you make contact with a Colorado Parks and Wildlife biologist they be more willing (at least hopefully willing) to fill in where you might have questions i.e. historic elk distributions during the season you are interested in hunting. I know from experience that there are areas I hunt during archery season that have a good number of elk but during the second rifle season you would be hard pressed to find an elk in the same area….anyway some good info from responders above and hope this helps a little.
one_elk

Postby wideangle » 05 02, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I suggest asking about road conditions in and out of the hunting area. We did an OTC CO hunt last year, 3rd season. The road out after the hunt at night was atrocious. We had deep snow, wind and steep conditions. We were warned ahead of time to bring chains for all 4 wheels by the biologist.
wideangle

First Name: Joseph

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 02, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Besides the big dogs (game biologist/wildlife officer), other good POCs for information are simply those who work in the ranger district office. Engineer, roads officer, and even the person who answers the phone at the front desk are oftentimes are very helpfull. The RD is also a great place to get your maps from including road use maps (closed roads, vehicle restrictions, etc.). I "always" have a RD map for the area I'm gonna hunt. Local sporting goods stores have given me some good info also. Just saying, don't limit your remote information gathering to just the biologist ;)

Here's a link with all the FS Ranger districts, by state FYI.

Durn it, here's the link: http://www.ufwda.org/pdfs/USDAForestSer ... tricts.pdf
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby aron » 05 02, 2013 •  [Post 11]

One question I like to ask is the water sources available. Looking at maps an old dried up river bed or stream can still look promising until you trek back there to find out a lot of them are dry. This can give you some sort of an idea if extra water is required to pack in or not. Hunting pressure near road system versus in the rougher terrain is also nice to know.
aron

First Name: Aron

Postby Z Barebow » 05 02, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Phantom- Link. What link? (Sorrt I had to take my shot! LOL!)
Z Barebow

First Name: Brian
Last Name: Zastoupil

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 02, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Z Barebow wrote:Phantom- Link. What link? (Sorrt I had to take my shot! LOL!)

Put the link in my edited post... Dang old age :)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Indian Summer » 05 02, 2013 •  [Post 14]

one_ elk made a great point: Do some homework & know some basics before making any calls to show that you have put forth some effort. Also... write your questions down so you don't forget anything and also don't waste too much of their time.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby wewarev » 12 10, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Thanks again everybody for your responses. My son and I will be there this fall.
wewarev

Postby Swede » 12 10, 2013 •  [Post 16]

It is good to be as specific as possible. If any elk will satisfy you, then general questions will be appropriate. If you are really looking for a large bull, be clear on that. Do you want an area that has relatively few hunters say so up front. What about terrain? What are you up to physically? It sure makes a difference if you can hunt several miles into a roadless area, as opposed to being able to only make a short hike from a well maintained road. Another thought is whom to ask. I prefer older Forest Service range technicians. They get out a lot and know much more than those who rarely get out of the office. Often it is helpful if you can stop a F.S. person in the field, and just visit with them. If you can't get out before your hunt into the area, call the F.S. during the winter when they are snowed in. Ask the receptionist for a range tech that likes to talk hunting, or ask for someone who is willing to share hunting information.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics