Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk Season 2013 Teaser.....

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk Season 2013 Teaser.....

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 01, 2013 •  [Post 1]

So fellow elk nuts, what is your game plan the first morning of the first day you hunt, as you envision it? Are you heading to your best stand area, where your game cams have provided some solid evidence of recurrent bull activity? Are you waking up your clients on the first morning of their first elk hunt and moving up the trail, hoping they'll be ready when you bring big nasty over the top of them? Are you sitting on a high ridge glassing a meadow where you hope you'll be doing a stalk on a wapiti? Are you heading down the game trail before daylight and moving towards your first locator bugle point? Are you finally, after many months of waiting, setting off to the side of the game trail intersection before daylight with an arrow knocked anticipating the bull/herd you heard the night before moving from feed to bed? I know you're thinking about it ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Elk Season 2013 Teaser.....

Postby Trophyhill » 05 01, 2013 •  [Post 2]

in a real world scenario it will go something like this. i'll make my way to a yet to be determined ridge. then i'll call, he'll come, and i'll kill him :^)
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby LckyTylr » 05 02, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I'll find myself hustling into my preferred mountain bowl about 10 minutes later than I should be. I'll spot Mr. Mossback-bigrack in the bottom of the bowl. I'll get super excited and go running down after him, leaving my brand new binoculars on the vantage point rock. I'll get down to him and won't be able to find the call that "I put in THIS pocket!". I'll start making sweet love music with my squeaking lips and he will thunderously respond. I'll get an arrow knocked and will commence shaking that I'll barely be able to keep it knocked in my fully contained rest. He will approach to within 15 yards, present me with a perfect quartering away shot with his head behind a ginormous tree. I'll struggle and struggle and struggle to get my bow drawn and won't realize that it's because I don't have my release on until after one of his cows busts me and the she-devil sounds the alarm. There will be a deafening earthquake of scared hoofs exiting the state of Idaho and I'll be wondering . . . "what was her problem?".
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby easeup » 05 02, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I am working to have the time and resources to be there....wherever there will be this year.
so lately my thoughts have been toward where it should occur. But it will be like this....

Trophyhill wrote:in a real world scenario it will go something like this. i'll make my way to a yet to be determined ridge. then i'll call, he'll come, and i'll kill him :^)

and I will smile and be thankfull.
easeup

Postby tdiesel » 05 02, 2013 •  [Post 5]

lcky tylr
sounds like you and I should hunt together sometime LOL sounded about perfect to me :lol:
tdiesel

First Name: Tod
Last Name: Mortensen

Postby ElkNut1 » 05 02, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Definitely an ambush spot where elk will head past towards bedding!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Lefty » 05 02, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I will be glassing over some open range If I see a bull I will try to get in front of him. or watch till he beds, wait for the winds to be consistant and put on a stalk
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby bnsafe » 05 02, 2013 •  [Post 8]

i will be still hunting in the morning, sitting on a wallow or trail at night.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby elkmtngear » 05 02, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Phantom16 wrote: Are you heading down the game trail before daylight and moving towards your first locator bugle point? )

Yeah, that's it! 8-)
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor