Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Do Elk Always Leave a Backdoor?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Do Elk Always Leave a Backdoor?

Postby Blue Falcon » 05 02, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Well this is my first year hunting elk and I am trying to learn all I can. The area I am hunting has a lot of drainages that funnel into large peaks. They look like they have nice parks in them but the elk won't really have an escape route unless they want to climb bare mountain. My question is have any of you ever killed an elk in an area like this and are they worth checking out on my scouting trip with limited time?

Rob
Blue Falcon

First Name: Robert

Re: Do Elk Always Leave a Backdoor?

Postby Trophyhill » 05 02, 2013 •  [Post 2]

one thing i've learned is that elk can be anywhere! including the least likely places.
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby elkmtngear » 05 02, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Blue Falcon,
Check those ridges closely on Google Earth....can you see any visible trails sidehilling up and over those peaks?

My Cousin hunts a similar spot in Oregon. There is one main escape/entry trail (clearly visible on Google Earth) , and he has used it as an ambush point when other hunters have blown the elk out of the drainage. If the elk are in there, it is usually a very large herd, from 70 to 100 animals.

Through past observation, I believe elk have no qualms about scaling those peaks (if they have to). It sounds like an area that might be very good IF the elk were undisturbed.
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 05 03, 2013 •  [Post 4]

You'd be surprised on how many different escape routes elk have, even through the toughest country. Go with your gut instinct on weather to hike it on your scouting trip.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby ElkNut1 » 05 04, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Agreed, do not be concerned about elk having an escape route, if need be they can be Houdini's out there! (grin) You sound as if you will be rifle hunting this area? Escape routes or natural elk movement through certain corridors are great ambush areas. Find these & you have something, they are as good as "destination" spots.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul