Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Looking for a partner?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Looking for a partner?

Postby Hoytsaw » 05 04, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Thought I would throw out a post to see if anyone was looking for Elk hunting partner. A lot more fun going out with someone, so I thought I would throw it out there. I am in my late thirties and picked up hunting three years ago. Most of my friends neither hunt or already have their camps set in place, so it has been difficult to break in so to speak. My Dad hunted when I was younger but never asked me to tag along. I am pretty much a self taught hunter trying to gather as much information through the internent as well out in the field. I was one step away from a pig last year, but I was shaking so bad I don't think I would have made a good shot. This is another reason for the post is a second set of hands to help pack out if all goes as planned.(Either side) Safety being first. I love being out there and would be nice to share the experience with someone that has your back. I am not too religious. I do drink, but there isn't time for it while hunting. Hopefully to raise a toast once the job is completed. As of now my hunting style is getting to the trail head and doing the heel toe express as far back as I feel comfortable and still hunt. I have always changed tactics and have seen critters numerous times. I read numerous threads about hunting parties and the camaraderie between them. I love reading those stories, but unfortunately I have not had that opportunity. I would like to teach my son one day if he holds an interest and give him something that I wasn't. I live in the mountains so it is hard for me to hit the local shooting range and meet fellow bowhunters. Anyways, I am sure I have left something out, but it's a starting point for those who wish to talk further. Good luck to all this fall!
Hoytsaw

Re: Looking for a partner?

Postby ElkNut1 » 05 04, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Welcome to the Forum & thanks for checking it out! What town & state do you reside & what state were you looking to hunt? You mention you live in the mountains.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Hoytsaw » 05 04, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I live in Grand County, CO. Unit 28
Hoytsaw

Postby Blue Falcon » 05 04, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Hoytsaw,

Have you hunted 28 for elk before? It looks like a real tough unit with almost 1,000 people hunting it for archery last year.
Blue Falcon

First Name: Robert

Postby Hoytsaw » 05 04, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Yes, I did hunt 28 last year. There was a bit of traffic opening weekend but slowed down. I was pretty much alone in the area I was in. It seemed that they only hunted for a day or two. I saw a total of six people. One solo guy, father and son and a group of three. The solo hunter was packing out a 6*6 when I ran into him and was heading back to Denver. 28 is a big unit with a lot of options. I am not totally focused on 28 and always open to new areas.
Hoytsaw

Postby bnsafe » 05 04, 2013 •  [Post 6]

welcome to the site hoytsaw. hope you learn alot. good luck
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby Indian Summer » 05 04, 2013 •  [Post 7]

First off welcome. Your post interested me because I'm self taught too. My dad hunted a little but quit right about the time I was old enough to start. I like the idea that one of your main goals is to be able to get your son involved in hunting. I never hunted Colorado and I already have a Wyoming license or I'd think about taking you up on it. I think a couple months ago you'd have had an easier time lining up a partner.

It sounds like you've done pretty well for a fairly new hunter but I totally agree with your reasons for wanting a partner. I hunt alone but camp with partners for alot of the same reasons. With the warm weather a new thing everyone is pretty busy and it's been slower than usual around here. You have a spot and the ability to have some things ready so I think you make a good partner. Hang in there and I'll keep my eye out for someone else in the same boat as you. Good luck!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Bowhunter » 05 06, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Pm sent.....
Bowhunter

First Name: Terry
Last Name: H