Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

A Common Mistake!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

A Common Mistake!

Postby ElkNut1 » 05 04, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Here's some information that I felt might assist newer ones if they happen to get into a similar situation. I shared this a couple years back but still applies today! >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

What you experienced is a very common mistake. You had a lone bull with a single cow & he was happy with that but 2 is always better! When you called at first light & he responded showing interest but you could obviously see he wanted you to come to him your best bet would have been to shut down all your calling right there, but it's human nature to want to call & watch the bulls reaction in hopes of him trotting over your way! (grin)

With your initial call, you planted the seed there was a cow out there possibly interested in him. You now have the upper hand, play it where the odds are now stacked in your favor. Excessive calling as you're following them through a burn is a huge mistake good wind or not, it's too open of country! You were either spotted or they at one time looked back in the direction of your calling & saw no elk or anything that resembled an elk, yep, you were busted, remember there's more than one way to get busted! (grin)

Without question as WW mentions this bull was doing his best to call this lone cow (you) over to them but by your over-calling & not showing up he knew something wasn't right, he may have given you the nervous grunt wanting a visual or attempt to bring you his way

The fact there were 2 hunters gave you great odds here, have a caller stay back 200-300yds & never expose himself to be seen & every 5-7 minutes give a single 3/4 of a second mid-volume mew, maintain that distance best he can so he stays within earshot of this bull, the shooter can now slip towards this bull & cow with no calling of his own, he doesn't exist as far as this bull & cow are concerned. Less calling is needed by caller if bull vocalizes on his own.

This bull is heading towards a bedding area or another area where there are other elk, but most likely will not get to close to them once they do bed for the day. You can stay up with or catch these elk, we've done it many times, the key is to be able to have a location/direction on them as they continue moving.

The hardest part about this is the last 100yds to the bull for the shooter, he must exemplify PATIENCE! Do not get rushed but move very stealthily & wait for the right time to close that last bit of distance, there are times once this bull & cow get to where they want to be they will mill around a bit, this can be your chance to get position & ready yourself for the shot you need!

This is what I call "Call & Stalk" with 2 hunters. There are many occasions where we use bull sounds instead of cow sounds but since he was receptive vocally to cow sounds I would stay with that. Also as an additional point, as shooter you want to really keep a keen eye out as you approach these elk from behind, you never know when they'll stop & look for this cow that they hear periodically, they may even turn back & come her way so be aware of this! Call & Stalking as this is cool & is very deadly!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Re: A Common Mistake!

Postby welka » 05 04, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Paul,
I remember that post well from a while back. It was great advice back then and its a great example about being aggressive. After many experiences and forum participation, its clear to me that we should have been much more aggressive on prior hunts. During those green horn years (which still happen on some days), I look back now and think about examples of when we should have shut up and closed the distance. I try to train my brain now to be more automatic.... hear a bull or get one to respond.... think about an attack plan.... and quickly get on hoof to close the distance. I bet I would have killed more bulls in the early years if I had been more aggressive. Live an learn!
welka

Postby bnsafe » 05 04, 2013 •  [Post 3]

thanks for the tip paul, i know how long and all the stupid mistakes it took me to become a turkey killer, this suff helps cut that curve way down.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby ElkNut1 » 05 05, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Guys thanks!

I totally agree that quick decisive action is so important at the right time, just as there's times to call there are times not to call so as not to have eyes looking for you when it's the last thing you want in open or broken country.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul