Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

ELK HUNTERS BUCKET LIST

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

ELK HUNTERS BUCKET LIST

Postby easeup » 05 04, 2013 •  [Post 1]

The guys here are from different backgrounds and different states. Different styles and tastes; young and old too.

Chasing a bull elk keeps things going for nearly all of us though, otherwise you wouldnt be on this forum.
I expect it doesnt matter if that first bull is not in your photo album yet or you have take three dozen bulls from 7 different states; everyone has gotten something on their bucket list; - still left to grab.

what is it for you elknuts? speak up!
easeup

Re: ELK HUNTERS BUCKET LIST

Postby Indian Summer » 05 04, 2013 •  [Post 2]

To kill two mature herd bulls in the same year. Most years I only hunt one state so the opportunity to pull it off is rare. When I do hunt multiple states that's the first thing I think of and it motivates me just a little more.

A goal that I try to accomplish a couple times every year is to give a couple worthy newcomers the details about a spot to really get them off to a good start. When they have a good hunt it's a great feeling. It sure is nice if they kill an elk and I can know that I had something to do with it. It's almost like I killed another one myself. Very self rewarding for me. This year for the first time I actually partnered up with a rookie I don't know. Kinda putting some pressure on myself but if I can get a first timer a bull I'll be pretty darn happy.

Last... a full body mount of a good sized wolf.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby bnsafe » 05 04, 2013 •  [Post 3]

to kill a whitetail (done) antelope (done) mulie elk bear. they can be does and cows i dont care, but that is my list that i think is hopefully doable someday. sure i would love to have a sheep caribou moose etc, but those hunts are outside chances at the very best and prob never gonna happen. if i could just kill a cow elk and doe mulie i would be estatic. it would mean more to me than anyone can imagine. then i could focus on a bear hunt. if i ever get those 5 done i would love to go to argentina on a dove shoot and alaska for a fishing trip. again those prob aint gonna happen. oh but my big 5.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby BMF11 » 05 04, 2013 •  [Post 4]

It may seem pretty simplistic for most of you, but my bucket list for elk was made 24 years ago when I arrowed my first whitetail. Plain and simple I want to shoot a bull elk with my bow! Life has somehow been too busy to pursue this until now. I feel like a kid again reading and learning about tactics and stories of elk hunting. When I was a kid I read my Dad's Outdoor Life and Field and Stream, now it's all about the elknuts forum!! Thanks to all!
BMF11

First Name: Brady

Postby BMF11 » 05 04, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Hey Indian Summer, I think we can kill two birds with one stone. I'll take tips for a good spot to make my bucket list and you can attain one of your goals of helping a newcomer....if I could prove to be worthy!! Just kidding! And thanks for all the input on all of my newbie questions! Are you hunting two states this year so you have a chance to pull it off? Good luck. I hope to some day have such lofty goals
BMF11

First Name: Brady

ELK HUNTERS BUCKET LIST

Postby slim9300 » 05 04, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Killing three bulls, in three separate states, in the same year with my bow. Killing a monster true Roosevelt.
Work hard. Be happy. Annoy a Liberal. :wink:
2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
University of Washington; Foster School of Business Alum
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby mtnmutt » 05 04, 2013 •  [Post 7]

First ever game animal, elk. The only mammal I ever killed was a critter with my car (roadkill). Once I get one elk then I will want a season where I fill both elk archery tags, bull and cow. Next goal, may be a mulie.
mtnmutt

Postby 8upbowhunter » 05 05, 2013 •  [Post 8]

In 1986 I made a gun hunt for mule deer in Colorado and came across some elk sign. That day I added bow hunting elk to my bucket list. This September I will start that journey with a long time friend that was on the mule deer hunt with me back then. My ultimate goal for this hunt is to kill a legal bull and I know the odds are against me but it will be a fun 14 days trying to make it happen..
8upbowhunter

Postby wideangle » 05 05, 2013 •  [Post 9]

A branch antlered bull with my long bow. 5 x 5 or better and a good mule deer in one season.
wideangle

First Name: Joseph

Postby welka » 05 05, 2013 •  [Post 10]

All with bow:

Shoot a bull inside 10 yards

Kill a 500# black bear

Stick a wolf
welka

Postby Trophyhill » 05 05, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Roosevelt elk in the Pacific Northwest
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby ElkNut1 » 05 05, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Moose & Caribou hunts with my son!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 05 05, 2013 •  [Post 13]

I only hunt one state per year, so I guess my bucket list would be to take my 28 archery elk this season and keep the freezer full ;) Getting too old to do any major expensive hunts. :roll:
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby Da White Shoe » 05 05, 2013 •  [Post 14]

For elk, the bucket list is easy... kill one with some decent size!
I've never killed a 300" bull or any kind of 6x6... even a dinky one, in 35 years! Getting a little embarrassing. :oops:
Good news is, I've got a plan for that problem. :x

Bowhunting, I've hunted elk in 5 states, filled one bucket list item with a spike Roosevelt.
I've killed several good P&Y antelope and a couple good P&Y whitetails.
I've killed some good mule deer too, but with a rifle. I haven't done much hunting for mulies since I went bow-only.
I do have one forkhorn muley with a bow. If I would have waited a couple minutes, I would have had a good chance at the big 5x5 that was with him! :oops:
Hunted black bear about every way you can. Haven't got a biggun yet though... got a plan for that too. :idea:
I have a Wyoming Shiras bull with a rifle, but he ain't nothin' compared to the one I missed with my bow that year! Solid B&C.
I will be going to Alaska for moose this fall... my biggest bucket list item checked off! Not so much the moose... as hunting in Alaska, OYO!
Might even knock a wolf or a black bear down, thump a few ptarmigan for the pot... and catch a silver or a grayling or two while I'm there.

But even if I don't come home with anything... I'll be happy!
Da White Shoe

First Name: zane

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 05, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Trophyhill wrote:Roosevelt elk in the Pacific Northwest

I know a few cats that can help you with that one ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Kolpin10 » 05 05, 2013 •  [Post 16]

Mine would be a hot and heavy Nevada rut hunt, one day I will get drawn, mayby in a couple of weeks.
Kolpin10

First Name: K
Last Name: Hoover

ELK HUNTERS BUCKET LIST

Postby slim9300 » 05 06, 2013 •  [Post 17]

Trophyhill wrote:Roosevelt elk in the Pacific Northwest

David, do you remember the Primos episode where Will is in OR attempting to kill a Roosevelt with his bow in a special permit area?
Work hard. Be happy. Annoy a Liberal. :wink:
2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
University of Washington; Foster School of Business Alum
slim9300

ELK HUNTERS BUCKET LIST

Postby Slim jim » 05 06, 2013 •  [Post 18]

Kolpin10 wrote:Mine would be a hot and heavy Nevada rut hunt, one day I will get drawn, mayby in a couple of weeks.

Isn't the only rut hunt in Nevada up in the Jarbidge wilderness and only 2 tags up for grabs? I thought archery ends September 15th and muzzleloader starts October 1st so we don't get to hunt the rut here in NV.
Slim jim

First Name: Jimmy
Last Name: Tippetts

Postby >>>---WW----> » 05 06, 2013 •  [Post 19]

Number one on my bucket list is just to be out in God's creation and hear the bulls bugling and call to them in September. I've done it hundreds of times and my bucket still isn't even close to full!
>>>---WW---->

Postby Kolpin10 » 05 06, 2013 •  [Post 20]

Slim jim wrote:
Kolpin10 wrote:Mine would be a hot and heavy Nevada rut hunt, one day I will get drawn, mayby in a couple of weeks.

Isn't the only rut hunt in Nevada up in the Jarbidge wilderness and only 2 tags up for grabs? I thought archery ends September 15th and muzzleloader starts October 1st so we don't get to hunt the rut here in NV.

Archery ends on the 16th and in the high bull cow rato units it is close enough to peak that it can be incredable, also smoke pole is the 17-30 and I am opportunistic the unit is more important than the weapon, it is just getting drawn that is the hardest parts for a NR.
Kolpin10

First Name: K
Last Name: Hoover

Postby Mikeha33 » 05 06, 2013 •  [Post 21]

My bucket list has changed over the last 2 years, as it was basically only to kill a B&C Whitetail with my bow. I havent done it, but Ive had opportunities, and have arrowed 1 thats close (166 1/8").

Now the game has changed; #1 is to get to CO and survive 7 days in the mountains chasing elk. If I am blesses enough to harvest ANYTHING, then I will be happy with my first years hunt, but ultimately, on the bucket list is to kill a respectable (300+) elk with my bow, sometime in my life, and be able to learn enough about the wonderful creatured to teach my son how to do the same.

One of the main reasons for myself wanting to get into elk hunting, is so I can share the experience with my son when he is old enough (he's only 2 1/2 now but he'll be a teenager as soon as I blink next). Oddly enough, when I approached my wife, and told her that I need to learn how to do this now, so him and I can go in the future, she was all for it :mrgreen: , and has not complained once about my outrageous spending, late nights of looking at maps lying in bed, or showing her what I am preparing for, not to mention that we have #2 due in late June!!! I knew I married a good one!!

Good topic!
Mikeha33

First Name: Michael
Last Name: Halsey

Postby Swede » 05 06, 2013 •  [Post 22]

I'm with WW on this one. In addition I would like to take a large cougar, another big Mule deer and/or Blacktail deer, and a bigger Bull elk.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 06, 2013 •  [Post 23]

Nice thread easeup.. Short term bucket list is to call in a PO'ed, mud caked, alder brush in his antlers, bull for Dotman to shoot this year in ID.. Long term, merely to have the ability to talk to and hunt bulls, during the rut, for as long as I possibly can. Is there a walker or 4WD wheelchair hunting program for me in about twenty years ;) If so, I'll be doing this for many, many years. I can't think of anything I enjoy more.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby planebow » 05 06, 2013 •  [Post 24]

I would just like one respectable bull in the 300 inch range
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby NCelkhtr » 05 07, 2013 •  [Post 25]

Right now plain and simple to kill a bull elk. After that I will make a list, just focused on one goal right now though.
NCelkhtr

First Name: Zack
Last Name: Benfield

Postby kjv1959 » 05 07, 2013 •  [Post 26]

To be honest I am still in search of my first bull with any weapon. But for me its just being in the mountains sitting glassing and taking it all in. Granted a bull would be a major plus! :D But sometimes just get lost in the scenery I am looking at. Sorry for rambling.
kjv1959

First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Vroman

Postby LckyTylr » 05 07, 2013 •  [Post 27]

My goal . . . at the moment . . . is to kill my first elk this season. I have had MANY opportunities in the last 4 years to kill branch antlered bulls and seeveral cows . . . with a rifle during rifle season . . . but I am dead set on killing my first elk with a bow. I have had several close calls, but no shots were released. This year . . . I'm confident that I'll get it done. I'm more knowledgeable about my quarry (thank you everyone on elknutforums) and I'll finally have all of the equipment that I need. Last year I finally located my own honey hole, all on my own . . . and it's a glorious place. I have only seen two horse hunters in there so far and they didn't stay long (mumbling something about blowdowns and too steep for the horses as they rode out at 1AM the second night).

I guess short term goal . . . to nurse my shoulder back to health quickly. I was shooting in a 3D league all winter and had plans to shoot in an outdoor league all summer . . . and then I had a little disagreement with my dirtbike and a tree. Separated my shoulder (stage 3 of 4).
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby easeup » 05 07, 2013 •  [Post 28]

dang the luck...
you need some quick healing to meet that goal.
easeup

ELK HUNTERS BUCKET LIST

Postby Solitude » 05 07, 2013 •  [Post 29]

#1 on the list a 300+ bull DIY, think I may know where this bruiser is living in an OTC unit, and if not I am continuing to build points in several states to draw a premier tag in the near future.

#2 is a mountain goat DIY, I think I have the tag/GMU targeted

#3 is a Dall Sheep, no idea yet where or when to go, but want to make it happen in the next 10 years.

All three above with my bow.

#4 get my boy on a speed goat hunt in WY when her turns 12 years old. Rifle or know it does not matter as he will have fun with all the targets.
Solitude

Postby elkmtngear » 05 07, 2013 •  [Post 30]

A big bull....just once!

Until then, I'm perfectly happy shooting raghorns ;)
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby JJ Overkill » 05 07, 2013 •  [Post 31]

heres a my bucket list

take my first elk, then a 300+ after that ( it would be great if it these two happened at the same time, but doughtfull)

take a bull moose in alaska

take a mountain lion

take a grizzly bear

and the one i dont think i will get to cross off is a cape buffalo

all with a bow is what i want. im still plenty young so god only knows how many yrs i get to complete my list. god willing ill be around for many yrs to come.
JJ Overkill

First Name: jeremy

Postby Harmy » 05 07, 2013 •  [Post 32]

For me the last two years have filled my personal elk bucket list. 2 years ago I shot a cow and my first bull (spike) with a rifle. Last year a smaller 6x6 and a cow with a muzzelloader. Now my list is to help my kids become hunters as my oldest son just turned 12 and we are waiting patiently (well thats a lie isnt it?) for the draw results at the end of the year. As my kids gain expereince I am along the same lines as Elknut. Caribou and Moose in Alaska with my sons.
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Postby Lefty » 05 07, 2013 •  [Post 33]

6x6 bull
archery hunt into my 70's
walk down a lion
run a fox line with a buddy after I retire
get my grandkids on hunts
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby BrentLaBere » 05 07, 2013 •  [Post 34]

Go on a moose hunt with my dad that we have talked about since I was really young. My mom wouldn't allow him to hang the set of horns he had so they were always in the attic collecting dust. I would venture up there and even be able to lay down inside the spread. Thought they were the coolest thing and asked when I could get some. Always talked about after graduating college that my two brothers, dad and I would go on a Canadian moose hunt. The reasons we haven't made it happen yet are endless but right now that would be at the top of my list of hunts I want to happen the most.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby easeup » 05 07, 2013 •  [Post 35]

Indian Summer wrote:........................

Last... a full body mount of a good sized wolf.

ahhhh............the ultimate fur.
easeup

Postby Camo » 05 07, 2013 •  [Post 36]

I want to bag one good bull elk. I have killed many whitetails including one that scored 164 BC and one that score 150 BC, both free range, not behind some high fence. I have taken several mule deer, one of which is an awesome trophy, but I have never bagged an elk, much less a good bull. About 6 or 7 years back I was hunting mule deer in Colorado and right before dark 6 awesome bulls walked out into a meadow right in front of me, all within 200 yards. However one of the bulls walked up to my area within 10 yards. I have been hooked ever since. I have only had a few chances to hunt elk and I have come close but no success as of yet. My other goal is to take an elk and a mule deer in one of the more northern states such as Montana, Wyoming, or Idaho, that is if the wolves don't eat them all. Also my bucket list includes at least one of these hunts being a high adventure with horses and packing in since that whole idea of going deep into the wilderness is both challenging and exciting. I am 48 and hunting is much more to me now than just bagging an animal. I want to take a deer or elk but I also want the experience and in this crazy world we now live in, it is relaxing to me to get deep in the woods and away from people.
Camo

First Name: Steve
Last Name: B

Postby Indian Summer » 05 07, 2013 •  [Post 37]

You guys are being hard on yourselves! A bull does NOT have to be a 300 incher to be a good respectable representative animal. To make the book with the Pope & Young Club a bull has to net 260 inches. That is obviously a respectable bull in the eyes of most hunters. The bull in this pic is very symmetrical and had minimal deductions. I used to take it to outdoor shows with me and hang it in the booth. Countless hunters would point at it knowing it's not what we'd call huge and say "If I could just get a 300 incher like that one there I'd be happy" Then I'd say so you'd be happy with this elk huh? The answer and not always from 1st timers was usually heck yeah. Then I'd tell them it scores 260 3/8 officially. I know some guys who've killed lots of nice bulls and never made the 300 inch mark.
Attachments
0507132219.jpg
0507132219.jpg (45.92 KiB) Viewed 10360 times
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro