Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

getting a bull to come back when dogging

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

getting a bull to come back when dogging

Postby tdiesel » 05 06, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Has anyone had any luck getting a bull to come back when dogging a herd. Now in my experience normally the bull is around the back of the herd and pushing cows we have had fair luck basically running them down as they move to thier bedding. get close enough to see elk then as the bull swings around shoot him( abreviated version) not always that easy. Well Last year my dad was following a herd and the bull was leading the group. He kept bumping into cows so he would wait till they moved a little then he would go again and the bull never swung low to come by these cows. Bull stayed about 150 yrds ahead. he could have shot three or four smaller bulls but he is getting to the point he is selective. smaller bulls bugling and running around but herd bull never came back he finally got a glimpse of the bull about 100 yrds away but eventually couldnt keep up and lost them. So I was just curious if anyone had any suggestions on how to make that bull come back. I know it would be ideal if he could have kept up till the bedding area but it doesn't always work ideally in the elk woods. thought I would throw this out there and hear some suggestions. tried bugling and cow calling hoping he would come see but he never did.
tdiesel

First Name: Tod
Last Name: Mortensen

Re: getting a bull to come back when dogging

Postby Swede » 05 06, 2013 •  [Post 2]

What you do depends on the time of the season. In the rut, I have had them come back in a hurry. Normally the bull was trailing. Get close and let out a ripping bugle. This is especially appropriate where the herd bull has had to contend with harassing satellites, and is fed up with them.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 05 06, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Swede wrote:What you do depends on the time of the season. In the rut, I have had them come back in a hurry. Normally the bull was trailing. Get close and let out a ripping bugle. This is especially appropriate where the herd bull has had to contend with harassing satellites, and is fed up with them.

Ditto! Be ready, he's looking for a fight and it can get crazy! ;)
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby elkmtngear » 05 06, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Swede wrote: Get close and let out a ripping bugle.

X3, this is the only thing that has ever worked in that scenario for us. The problem is getting close, especially in the situation you described where a big herd bull takes the lead position, or stays in the middle of the herd when on the move.

Sometimes you are stuck just trying to dog them to their bed. Then you can sometimes work things to your advantage. Sometimes :D
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby tdiesel » 05 07, 2013 •  [Post 5]

apreciate the replies it was during/close to the rut." Get close and let out a ripping bugle. This is especially appropriate where the herd bull has had to contend with harassing satellites, and is fed up with them.[/quote]

Ditto! Be ready, he's looking for a fight and it can get crazy!"
Normally that is how we work it getting close with thermals comming at us and bull is in the back we scream and have had good luck with it. but it has always been the bull in the back. Last year the bull was up front or could have been middle and my dad couldnt get that close before bumping cows we kept thinking he would return if another bull is that close to the rear cows. Maybe he could tell by the sound of our bugle "na he is small my cows won't go with him :lol:" but he just stayed up ahead rather than comming back for all his cows and dang there must have been 80 cows with him and little bulls but I guess it goes to show ya just when you think you have this figured out they thow a curve at ya. studying it I have some Ideas to try from some of the playbook if the scenario ever arises again but didn't think as clearly at the time, I'll blame the lack of oxygen :)
tdiesel

First Name: Tod
Last Name: Mortensen

Postby buglmin » 05 07, 2013 •  [Post 6]

If I was dogging a herd I wouldnt dare bugle to him. In order for this to work, you have to be close, very close!! And its hard to keep up with a herd when they are moving. Besides, most bulls are usually close to the back, pushing the cows, and you'd need to be ahead and within 60 minus yards. Being that close puts you in the area of being winded or spotted. And bugling to him would only make him move faster...why would he come in running? He hs the cows, and just has to push them away faster...
Ive been doing this for years, dogging as they head to bed, and what Ive done has worked a lot, putting some good bulls on the ground. Its something I learned after watching it happen. In one place we hunt, the bulls come off private property headed up to bed, and you gotta move fast to get close to them.
buglmin

Postby Pop-r » 05 08, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Buglmin, we are anxiously awaiting for you're "tactic"! I've gotten a couple to come back by whooping off the satellites that came in and ultimately just pissing them off!! I haven't "mocked" this scenario with a partner with success but it could b done. The times it has I just caused a big commotion when the sat's did come in (being fairly close to herd) & the herd bull gets MAD!!
Pop-r

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Pop-r wrote:Buglmin, we are anxiously awaiting for you're "tactic"! I've gotten a couple to come back by whooping off the satellites that came in and ultimately just pissing them off!! I haven't "mocked" this scenario with a partner with success but it could b done. The times it has I just caused a big commotion when the sat's did come in (being fairly close to herd) & the herd bull gets MAD!!

I too would like to hear your tactic. Please share!
JohnFitzgerald