Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Pass It On

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Pass It On

Postby Swede » 05 06, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Like me, you are passionate about hunting, especially when it comes to elk hunting. You want to learn and know everything you can, so you will be a better elk hunter. You want to reduce the luck factor to the absolute minimum. You know you can improve your success by gaining more knowledge. Like me you probably have friends, associates and others who enjoy elk hunting too. They may not be as capable at hunting as you are. You do the calling. You arrange the hunt. Your hunting partners depend on you. Well; maybe the others you hunt with just don't know a lot of things that you do. They are beginners or maybe they don't know there is a world of good information free on the Elknut Forum.
Have you told them about this site? Give your friends and partners an early Christmas or birthday present. Invite them to come here.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Pass It On

Postby BrentLaBere » 05 06, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Anyone I know interested in elk hunting I have suggested practicing calls with me while watching elknut's dvds. I have also told them to try posting their calls online to get some better pointers from the experts ;) . So far I haven't found anyone as crazy about this stuff as me but I am hoping that will change this fall when they hit the field.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby msd1228 » 05 06, 2013 •  [Post 3]

BrentLaBere wrote:So far I haven't found anyone as crazy about this stuff as me but I am hoping that will change this fall when they hit the field.

Same here. I constantly refer my 2 main hunting partners to the forums, but neither really bother. One of them is already a good caller and elk hunter so it really doesn't matter, but the other one is new to elk hunting and lives 2 hours from me so I can't be that hands on with him. I can't even get him to order his own calls and gear, he always asked me to get extra when I order and then he pays me back. Its frustrating, but I guess not everyone lives the elk lifestyle like those that hang out here do.
msd1228

First Name: Shane

Postby Rojix » 05 06, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Sadly, most people don't know what elk are where I currently live. But I keep looking for them.
Rojix

First Name: Jake

Postby bnsafe » 05 06, 2013 •  [Post 5]

ive tried to get a couple guys on here, they think they are to busy
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby mtnmutt » 05 06, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Rojix wrote:Sadly, most people don't know what elk are where I currently live. But I keep looking for them.

Lol

This was me in the summer of 1991 when I arrived in CO. Hiking near the Colorado River head waters in RMNP, I came within 30 yards of a small cow herd. I wasn't even sure what they were. That was my first encounter with elk and I was memorized. It took another 19 yrs before I started to hunt them.

I have referred a few people over on AT to this forum. At least one, was planning their first elk hunt with her husband in 2014.
mtnmutt

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 06, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I've opened the eyes of quite a few to the Elknut experience 8-) , and, to this great forum. Honestly, it took a fellow elknut (Slim9300/Conlan) to force this old dog to watch Mr. Elknut's DVD series several years back and truly absorb the tactics, tips, and elk language interpretation strategy contained therein. Honestly, it changed my concept of how to speak elk, and more importantly, how to understand what the big galoots were saying, needing, or inquring about ;) Was very excited when Paul launched the forum. Geesh, I thought I knew plenty... not even close compared to many of the old salts here. Yes sir Swede, I agree, Pass it On!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby elkmtngear » 05 06, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I do "pass the torch", almost everytime someone talks elk!
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 05 06, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Wayne Carlton's favorite saying! Pass it on. I have been fortunate to call elk in for 1st time elk hunters and struggling elk hunters. The reward of seeing the faces on them closing the door for the first time is priceless. The man hugs, high 5's, big smiles and tears. I took 2 old friends last year on their 1st elk hunt and we had a blast. I am a self taught elk hunter and wish I would have had a mentor when I first started 35 years ago. Fortunately, for some weird reason, I was born to be a elk hunter, finding and talking to elk during archery season came natural.
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby easeup » 05 07, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I can honestly say that no one in my life circle cares enough to even pick up a copy of Bugle and look at the pictures.

Because of the electronic media, those of us of this mind have drifted in.
But, this site is the best at welcoming new guys who have that twinkle in their eyes....the other sites are not even close in that respect.
easeup