Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Gear

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Gear

Postby Camo » 05 08, 2013 •  [Post 1]

What brand or type of tent and sleeping bag do you guys use to hike in and tent camp? I am concerned about the weight.
Camo

First Name: Steve
Last Name: B

Re: Gear

Postby dotman » 05 08, 2013 •  [Post 2]

All depends on budget.
dotman

Postby sreekers » 05 08, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Camo wrote:What brand or type of tent and sleeping bag do you guys use to hike in and tent camp? I am concerned about the weight.

How many do you plan to have in camp? What time of year?

I use a variety of shelters from Seek Outside. All dependent on the two questions above.

I have a thread detailing some of the shelters on here.
The More Than Memories Series, helping new elk hunters be successful:

http://seekoutside.com/buzz/blog/
sreekers
Site Sponsor

First Name: Scott

Postby easeup » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 4]

my elk camp is a big wall tent most of the time.
However, for summer fishing trips, backpacking and occasional spike camp hunt..I use a BigAgnes 2 man.
great stuff they make and not overly priced.
easeup

Postby otcWill » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 5]

If you want the best in light weight bivy style stuff, Kifaru has got it. I have the slickbag and the paratarp and they are bombproof and VERY packable!
otcWill

Postby elkmtngear » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I have a Big Agnes Lost Ranger Bag (15 degree bag, so it works for Bow Season)
My tent is also a Big Agnes, Fly Creek UL2

Both are very light and packable.
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Bowhunter » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I used to use the bivy bag but last year got a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2. I like to have the extra room inside or in the vestibule for my pack and boots and it doesn't weigh much more than a bivy bag.
Bowhunter

First Name: Terry
Last Name: H

Postby Camo » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Thanks for the suggestions. I have not heard of all these brands and I clearly need to do my homework. I don't want to break the bank but at the same time I don't want to buy junk that won't even last through the hunt. I need to focus on the weight and balance that with comfort. I will make a trip to REI and see what they have.
Camo

Postby mtnmutt » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 9]

REI sale starts May 17th. Member coupon 20% off is during the sale.

Last year, REI had the BA Fly Creek UL2 on sale, however, not likely this year. I have this tent also and got it with using a 20% off discount. Some other place had it on sale this year. Not sure I would pay full price for it.

http://www.campmor.com/ currently has a sale on BA gear.

Golite has a new 2 person that has becoming popular this year and giving BA Fly Creek UL 2 a run for its money because it is cheaper. Imogene UL2 is currently sold out until June.
http://www.golite.com/Imogene-UL2-P47000.aspx

Sleeping bag: Feather Friends Egret Nano 20 out of Seattle. Also tried the Western Mountaineering Ultralite 20, but the FF was a better cut for my body shape and they are cheaper than WM. I use a down bag, but many people won't chance it and do synthetic. I use a pack liner so I don't need to worry about it getting wet. I am a cold sleeper. I use clothing and a hat so the 20 degree bag works down to 20 and maybe 15 if I really bundled up.
mtnmutt

Postby Camo » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I will give these a look. I am 6'5" and weigh 265. Are these sleeping bags cut for guy my size? My son has a mummy bag that is perfect for him that he used in Boy Scouts but it is easily 50% to small for me. We got it at REI and it was expensive. Is there a source for any good used camping gear? I suppose that any used stuff would no longer be good or will have some sort of problem. I will start with REI and also check these on-line sites. Thanks all!

Also any good suggestions on cold weather (cold and wet weather) hiking boots?
Camo

Postby mtnmutt » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Used high quality ultralight gear can be found cheaper on backpackinglight.com forums, however, the high demand stuff goes quickly. Also try craigslist.

I bought quality gear for my sleep system, shelter and pack. All other items, I went cheaper.

If I take a stove, I use an alcohol stove. They can be made out of a fancy feast cat food can and use denatured alcohol. You do need patience at altitude to use one. Its not for everyone.

If you are willing to take heavier gear, you can get quality and lower prices, but have extra weight.
mtnmutt

Postby BrentLaBere » 05 10, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Other sites to check out would be Moosejaw.com as well as backcountry.com
I bought the BA Fly Creek UL2 this spring on sale at moosejaw for 20% off. You can be patient and find gear on sale if you dont want to buy used.
cabelas is even having a spring sale right now. I havent checked it out yet.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Gear

Postby Slim jim » 05 10, 2013 •  [Post 13]

I use the 20* mountain hardware phantom down bag. It's only 24oz and compresses down to the size of a football. With your size you should check out the Kifaru slick bag, might be just what your looking for. For a tent I just recently went with the GoLite SL3 this year (tired of the cramped one man tents). If I'll be hunting with someone, they can carry the nest and I'll carry the tent to keep the weight down under 2lbs. If I go solo, I'll just use the fly and a Borah bug bivy. The weight will be just over 2lbs this way. You should really check this tent out, it's 59sq ft and 60" tall. Right now they are having a 15% off sale and you could get this tent for $212 that's a good deal
Slim jim

First Name: Jimmy
Last Name: Tippetts

Postby Z Barebow » 05 10, 2013 •  [Post 14]

elkmtngear wrote:I have a Big Agnes Lost Ranger Bag (15 degree bag, so it works for Bow Season)
My tent is also a Big Agnes, Fly Creek UL2

Both are very light and packable.

My exact combo. I purchased this equipment in the off season, so I have not had a chance to test it yet. I also purchase the BA Insulated Air Core to top off combo.

(I used to use a sil tarp and a NorthFace Cat's Meow)
Z Barebow

First Name: Brian
Last Name: Zastoupil

Postby POk3s » 05 10, 2013 •  [Post 15]

I have Cableas XPG tent and (that I found for sale) and the XPG bag long. Not the lightest and not necessarily the cheapest but high quality and fairly light. I don't know how many other bags you can get that make a "long" version but the XPG long is 84". Hope that helps.
POk3s

Postby pointysticks » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 16]

well, your username is certainly appropriate :D

you are a tall man..finding a sleeping bag will be a challenge. that slickbag in wide and tall might work tho.

i have 4 sleeping bags. i think i like Down filled bags the best.

i'd go into an REI and try a few. no harm in zipping into a big right there on the showroom floor. and i think you will be wanting a 2 man tent at a minimum. i hate sleeping in a 1 man..too cramped feeling for me. especially if it is raining and you are pulling in gear to keep it dry.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby quarbles » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 17]

mountain hardwear bag, integral designs bivy (event material), integral designs siltarp3, 550 and groundhogs.
quarbles

First Name: jon
Last Name: travis

Postby Njdiverdan » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 18]

Big Agnes park series are cut for guys like us. I have the summit park. I am 6'5" and over 300 and I am very comfortable in this bag.
Njdiverdan

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Smith