Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

haha..my buddy wants to hunt "the flats"

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

haha..my buddy wants to hunt "the flats"

Postby pointysticks » 05 08, 2013 •  [Post 1]

last year, we put him on an elk. we scored!!

but we just about killed him. he was not prepared physically. he is currently combing maps looking for meadows and flats. i told him to get into shape..

last year, i felt sorta responsible for his good time. this year..if he cant hike, he can be camp B..i am blasting up away from the crowds. my brother is on board. i will take a sleeping bag and light tent with me..if i have to stay "up there".

my friend cracks me up..he is a great guy tho. served our country bravely. i'll get him there.

we dont really have that much work out time, fellas. i have a trout trip, a high elevation deer trip..then elk city!
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Re: haha..my buddy wants to hunt "the flats"

Postby easeup » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 2]

that is how it will be also.

He has been shown where the water is so to speak......
If his desire is insufficient to pay the price for success, .....are you going to spoon feed him again?
easeup

Postby elkmtngear » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Took my Brother out a few years back, and tore him apart in two days. He had to stay near camp for the remainder of the trip.
We did manage to decoy a raghorn 3x3 to him inside 15 yards close to camp one evening. He was unable to find a fourth point but did a great job
getting his bow drawn and ready.

He had a great time, but now realizes he is not physically cut out for elk hunting. If your buddy had not connected last Season, it's possible he might feel the same way.

You have to go where the elk are. I commend you for helping your buddy score, and please tell him I appreciate his Service to our Country.
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby pointysticks » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 4]

i have another mutual friend commited on this trip.

he will hike ME into the dirt. this guy looks like George St Pierre (MMA guy) and trains just like him. i am not looking forward to this part :) he will come in handy should we get something. he wants me to join in on his INSANITY workout...err..no. me crippled would be bad.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l