Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Unit 81 in CO

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Unit 81 in CO

Postby Mikeha33 » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Hey guys/gals,

I was looking for soemone who may have hunted in unit 81 in CO. We are decided on our spot for this fall, and it may or may not be in 81 :roll: . I am not looking for any hony hole tips or any information of that nature, but if you have been there, or live between Alamosa & Pagosa Springs, and know of people that hunt or have hunted there, I'd sure like to chat with you or them, just so I can learn from veteran 81'ers, and talk about where exactly we are planning on heading. I sure appreciate it. I've got my maps all marked up, with what seems like 15 million, trails, waypoints, and endless possibilities based on just about any scenario I can think of. Thanks in advance,
Michael
Mikeha33

First Name: Michael
Last Name: Halsey

Re: Unit 81 in CO

Postby buglmin » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I used to spend a lot of time in 81, from th top of Wolf Creek to the area above and around Summit Ville, and even some time above Platuro. We killed some nice bulls in 81, but to be frank, realized it wasnt worth the time or fuel to drive that far when I had great hunting closer to home. Its been four years since Ive been in that area, but if I can help you out any, let me know...
buglmin

Re: Unit 81 in CO

Postby Trophyhill » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 3]

There are plenty of elk and plenty more hunters, treehuggers, dirt bikers, 4 wheelers, outfitters, etc. if you go early take a flyrod. There's a trout behind every rock in the Conejos River. Even the wilderness areas get pounded. The key to hunting those pressured elk is finding unpressured areas that the elk retreat to. And this can mean flat out nasty terrain that others wont go into. The wallows and waterholes aren't secret in the units. In fact i dont think there is such a thing as secret spot in 80-81. You can hunt mild terrain or terrain as steep as any in the CO Rockies and everything in between. Lot of cows and the bugling can sound like Estes National Park if you hit it just right. These elk have heard every call known to man so a lot of times they come in silent so set up is everything! The big bulls can be far and few between. A good unit to be an equal opportunity killer whether bull or cow. 4 pt restriction on bulls.
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B