Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Before or after muzzleloader.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Before or after muzzleloader.

Postby Whitetail180 » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I'm sure all of you that hunt Colorado are pondering this same issue. Muzzleloader season starts on the 14th and runs thru the 22nd. All thru that week is the full Moon phase. I typically hunt the last week of September, because the Bulls are normally screaming their heads off. I have never hunted as early as the second week on a pre-full moon phase. What is the opinion, will the Bulls talk that early, is it best to hunt before Muzz, or does it matter...give me your thoughts.......
Whitetail180

First Name: Big
Last Name: Bull

Re: Before or after muzzleloader.

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 05 11, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I am retired and hunt the entire bow season. I like the 1st week for bulls that have not been pressured yet and still hitting wallows frequently. I like the last week for calling and more vocal bulls. I hear bulls bugling when I get there the last week of Aug., but they basically shut up after a few days of pressure. They start to get more vocal after mid Sept. I have called in, and shot, several bulls while bowhunting during muzzleloader season, full moon or not. If you have to make a choice, early or late, depends on what you want. Sitting, spot and stalk or vocal. I love getting into a screaming match with a bull, but if sitting on a active wallow in Aug. fills the freezer, that's ok too! ;) This year will be interesting with the season being a week later! Should be fun the last week!
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby >>>---WW----> » 05 11, 2013 •  [Post 3]

It used to be a real mess during the MZ season when it was a state wide draw. I swear, they must have all came to my area. LOL! But since they changed to limited draw by area, it isn't bad at all. So, I don't worry bout the MZ hunters.

The season is only about 30 days long. So hunt every chance you get! Tactics may change during that time but you just have to adapt to that. During the early part, I like the silent calling method and I cover alot of ground. I never do hunt wallows but there sure isn't anything wrong with that either. I just nver have found one that had what I would consider as a good setup around it. Guess I just have too much run and gun in my blood.

Later on, when the rut starts kicking in, tactics may change. Herd bulls may be harder to call in but the satalites are still easy, especially if they have had their tails kicked a time or two. And of course just about any younger animal that is by itself and looking for companionship will generally come in on a string during any phase of the season.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Blue Falcon » 05 11, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Are you guys ever worried carrying around an elk decoy during muzzle loader season? I am going to buy a heads up but don't want to get shot in the rear.
Blue Falcon

First Name: Robert

Postby mtnmutt » 05 11, 2013 •  [Post 5]

As WW stated, there are far fewer ML in my area than before CO went to ML limited tags. 2nd weekend ML can be quiet now in some areas.

I have setup my decoy during ML and no one has shot it yet. However, I don't do it near open meadows. I won't use it when there is an overlapping archery/early cow rifle in one of my areas.

I use a Montana Decoy Cow Elk Decoy. It is too awkward to walk thru the woods with it. I wanted them to bring back the elk rump only decoy. I will be getting a heads up decoy this year. I would not walk thru the woods with it during ML.

I was told by a ML hunter that they mostly do <100 yard shots.

I hunt opening day of ML because MLers don't all start on that Saturday. Some are just arriving on Saturday. I don't usually hunt on the 2nd day of ML (Sunday). I take a break until the next weekend (2nd weekend ML) when some MLers either have filled their tag or got tired and left early.

I saw my largest elk 6x6 within 35 yards on opening morning of ML. If you like the later part of archery, don't let the MLers deter you. An archery hunter in my area, told me to go deeper into the Wilderness when ML starts and ambush the elk as the ML start firing. I once saw a bull run up a steep thick area towards me just after a ML was fired way below me.

I hunt the entire archery season, however, I prefer the first 2 weeks because I don't bugle and it is quiet after archery opening weekend until the ML arrive.
mtnmutt

Postby Coveyleader » 05 11, 2013 •  [Post 6]

it really depends. There are some serious ML guys and I Hate hunting around them. I would get in before them if I had the choice.
Coveyleader

First Name: M
Last Name: Lewis

Postby cnelk » 05 11, 2013 •  [Post 7]

It all depends on your unit. It may be OTC for archery but limited for ML hunters.
Go on the Statistics page [Hunt Recap] and look at your unit tag numbers for ML

This should give you a good idea about how many ML hunters could be in the areas.
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby elkmtngear » 05 11, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I've never seen a guy with a muzzleloader in my areas, but I have heard them up on top where the road access is, sighting in their muzzys I'm assuming. I walk around with the SLIP System butt decoy folded up (as a trekking pole).

I can deploy it in a half second, but if I do, it will be in a situation where I know there little chance a muzzy hunter could see it.

We hunt much less aggressively with the decoys during muzzy week!

Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby easeup » 05 11, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I have been fortunate enough to take bulls before the muzzy, during and after the muzzy season.
I never know which will be best for me from one year to the next.
I like crazyEH solution......just hunt the entire season until you tag out!!!!
easeup

Postby >>>---WW----> » 05 11, 2013 •  [Post 10]

If you are brave enough to use a decoy during MZ season, you have a whole lot more nerve than I do.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Whitetail180 » 05 11, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Thank you all for your input, I wish I could hunt the entire Archery, however, being a out of State guy, that limits my time. I can hunt any time, 1st wk, 2nd wk, 3rd or 4th, but only 8 consecutive days. I am going to a new area and obviously I don't know the area at all, I am going in June to pre scout. But I like the elk to help me out some with their voices, if you get my drift. The ML is a draw for my unit, so maybe that will help. Any further opinions would be great.......
Whitetail180

Postby cnelk » 05 12, 2013 •  [Post 12]

WT180

Give the local biologist a call. Ask him SPECIFIC questions like this:

What are the most popular trailheads/spots for the ML hunters.
Where are the most popular places ML hunters set up camp.
Are there any cattle/sheep in the area. [you may have to call the FS for this one]

The biologist will know the answers because the sheer increase of numbers of ML hunters over archery.
And they use this to get their field data.

Once you find out these answers, you can then make a pretty good game plan.
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby >>>---WW----> » 05 12, 2013 •  [Post 13]

What Cnelk suggested is good information. However, every hunter that calls the biolgist is going to get the same answers. So be prepared to join the crowd. Nothing beats boots on the gound for finding elk. Good luck to you during your June scouting trip.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Whitetail180 » 05 13, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Great info Elk and WW, I actually already have called the Bio, I have a pretty good idea on Muzzy # s, the cattle have me a little worried. Because when I go to scout their wont be many if any in the wilderness, but come Sept, their will be lots....I must have a plan B,C, and D...
Whitetail180