Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

headlamps

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

headlamps

Postby dapper » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I imagine most people use headlamps as they move about before dawn. Does yours have the option for a red light, allowing you to move less detected by the elk? The reason I ask, is I have a couple and the one that offers the red light isn't as bright as the one that is soley a white light. Is the red light option that important?

Thanks for any input
dapper

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Behring

Re: headlamps

Postby Whitetail180 » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I think it helps a bunch, I use my white light until I get close then I use the red light and when I get real close, I go in dark, but slowly.
Whitetail180

First Name: Big
Last Name: Bull

Postby Swede » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I have never used red light. Of coarse I have spooked elk in the dark, but I never thought the color of the light was the reason. The elk see well in the dark. They hear well too, and the dark doesn't effect their sense of smell. I would prefer to see where I am going, and a little better light is more important to me.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby bnsafe » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 4]

i agree with swede, ive spooked alot of whitetails goin in and comin out, but i dont think the light was a reason.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby JoeH2o » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I think the red and green lights are ment for looking at maps or digging through packs, not travel. They don't dilate the eyes as much as the white light.
JoeH2o
ElkNut Pro Staff

First Name: Clayton
Last Name: Jensen

Postby Swede » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I just went back and studied some of the pictures I have from trail cameras that use a white flash. There are multiple pictures of elk that were photographed looking into the camera. The flash does not seem to disturb them in the least.
Swede

Postby mtnmutt » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I am so glad someone posted this question.

I have tried hard to walk in using the red light and I just make more noise kicking rocks because I can't see where I am going. I just can't see as well in the dark as I used to.

This year, I am ditching the red light in favor of safety and less travel noise.
mtnmutt

Postby easeup » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 8]

lots of light is a good thing in that it will assist you to see the ground and weird mountain obstacles.
your chances of falling or twisting a leg are much reduced when you can see where you are going.
and who wants to ruin a hunt over a silly stumbling accident?
easeup

Postby Trophyhill » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Guys that move in the dark typically have somewhere they want to get to by the time the sun is coming up. If an elk or 3 go "bump in the night" then so be it ;)
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby ElkNut1 » 05 10, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I only use the white light as well, if I feel I'm getting too close to elk I heard talking & I'm slipping in before light to get as close as possible I do not let the light shine to where they can see it. I'll cover it with my hand to direct it towards the ground or leave it off. Red, green, yellow or white I don't want elk seeing it if I know I'm close.

If trying to get to a specific location as Trophyill mentions then if I bump something, so be it, it's not a big deal!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby cnelk » 05 10, 2013 •  [Post 11]

I have walked up on elk and had my headlamp shine on them [white light].
They were not alarmed at all. They just moved off into the timber
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Indian Summer » 05 10, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Paul you and I have talked about this before. I only use white lights and if I think I'm in a hot spot I'll take the light off of my head and cup it in my hand aiming downward just to see where I'm walking but without shining light horizontally around me. Those colored lights cause more trouble than they solve.

The only time I use them is when saddling horses. They don't care for a bunch of blinding light flashing back & forth past their eyes.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby POk3s » 05 10, 2013 •  [Post 13]

I guess I'm completely opposite. I almost always use the red or green setting when walking in. I see pretty good at night anyways but my thought process was that those colors are the ones lost to PREDATORS when people are night hunting for coyotes....or so I've seen. I figure it can't hurt as I walk in for elk. I hate hearing thundering hooves in the darkness! Again, I doubt its the color of my light that spooked them but I still do it.
POk3s

Postby Swede » 05 10, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Deer and elk see yard lights at the ranches where they feed at night. They see vehicle lights. They can see the moon on the horizon, etc. etc. etc. Those lights don't bother them. I don't think they are smart enough to tell the difference between a head lamp moving and a car light. The problem comes if they see, hear or smell you.
Swede

Postby Da White Shoe » 05 10, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Indian Summer wrote:The only time I use them is when saddling horses.

That's what I use the red light for the most when elk hunting.
Horses don't mind the red light in their eyes nearly as much.
I have used the red in the pre-dawn darkness when getting close to a bugler... I think it helps a lot.
I don't think deer and elk see red light nearly as well as they do white light.
Even when only pointing it at the ground, red doesn't light up the trees like a white light does.
The red bulb really gets used a lot when I'm whitetail hunting.
Da White Shoe

First Name: zane

headlamps

Postby slim9300 » 05 11, 2013 •  [Post 16]

Swede wrote:Deer and elk see yard lights at the ranches where they feed at night. They see vehicle lights. They can see the moon on the horizon, etc. etc. etc. Those lights don't bother them. I don't think they are smart enough to tell the difference between a head lamp moving and a car light. The problem comes if they see, hear or smell you.

This is how I see it too.
Work hard. Be happy. Annoy a Liberal. :wink:
2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
University of Washington; Foster School of Business Alum
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

headlamps

Postby slim9300 » 05 11, 2013 •  [Post 17]

ElkNut1 wrote:I only use the white light as well, if I feel I'm getting too close to elk I heard talking & I'm slipping in before light to get as close as possible I do not let the light shine to where they can see it. I'll cover it with my hand to direct it towards the ground or leave it off. Red, green, yellow or white I don't want elk seeing it if I know I'm close.

If trying to get to a specific location as Trophyill mentions then if I bump something, so be it, it's not a big deal!

ElkNut1

Very sound advice. :)
2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
slim9300

headlamps

Postby slim9300 » 05 11, 2013 •  [Post 18]

Trophyhill wrote:Guys that move in the dark typically have somewhere they want to get to by the time the sun is coming up. If an elk or 3 go "bump in the night" then so be it ;)

^^^This.
slim9300